993 Forum 1995-1998

SAI check valve tool

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 08:11 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myflat6
Hello, I have owned my 993 for two months and am doing the major service. Wow, what an introduction to this car! Everything so far is a PITA! Spark plugs, wires and now the crazy valve that was apparently installed by the hulk. Why on earth would this thing need to be torqued down this tight AND with no topside removal! Anyway, enough venting. I am having the exact same problem as above. The top cap is turning but I cannot get the base to budge. I am desperate at this point, hoping that someone near me would lend me an already modified tool. I live in Orange County, CA.
I have the crowsfoot already modified and will lend it to you. Send me an email to plohmeyer@woh.rr.com.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:51 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Use some antiseize on the pipe thread when reinstalling so it comes out easily next time.
I wonder if pouring a little Chevron Techron gas treatment down the hole before buttoning things up is a good idea to flush out carbon residue, or better yet just put some upstream of the valve and clean it out as well?

Yours & Others thoughts?
Old 01-14-2015, 03:14 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Not too much gas treatment - it would be full strength and hitting the catalytic convertor - not sure if it will just burn it, or do damage.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:23 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Hello, I have owned my 993 for two months and am doing the major service. Wow, what an introduction to this car! Everything so far is a PITA! Spark plugs, wires and now the crazy valve that was apparently installed by the hulk. Why on earth would this thing need to be torqued down this tight AND with no topside removal! Anyway, enough venting. I am having the exact same problem as above. The top cap is turning but I cannot get the base to budge. I am desperate at this point, hoping that someone near me would lend me an already modified tool. I live in Orange County, CA.
A few hints:

- removal is by the nut on the bottom of the valve, and you need just to make up a easy tool (or borrow it as it was offered) - use a crowsfoot but it needs to be ground thinner to fit between the top of the manifold and the bottom of the valve.
- you will get only micro movements with the crowsfoot since there is not a lot of clearance, but it is enough to break the joint free. You can then either reposition the crowsfoot, or use the top of the valve to unscrew it
- make sure you have a good purchase on the valve, and a long enough handle on the ratchet (I use a 1/2 extendable one) so you can give the valve a good solid twist. If you wimp out with a 3/8 rachet that is digging into your hands, the torque is not well transmitted into the valve, and it will not snap free.
- use antiseize on the new valve
- to not tighten down the new valve very hard. Not sure what torque spec you are using, I put about 10 ft lts on it, but its all by feel. It needs to be enough to it does not leak, but makes it easy for the next replacement
- these cars are not hard to work on, especially once you are more experienced with them. Lots of people complain about #6 plug for instance, its not nearly as hard as even my V10 on my truck - the rear ones, now those were a challenge!

cheers,

Mike
Old 01-21-2015, 01:14 AM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by DanL993
I have the crowsfoot already modified and will lend it to you. Send me an email to plohmeyer@woh.rr.com.
Dan,
Got the tool today and had immediate success! While I was waiting for the tool, I used a syringe to squirt some Liquid Wrench Super Penetrant on the threads/base of the valve two nights in a row and let that soak in. I used a long handle socket wrench with a 24" cheater bar over the handle. It popped lose with very little pressure (but I had a lot of leverage on it with that cheater bar). Not sure if I was just lucky, or the Liquid Wrench helped or the leverage was right, but it came loose.

This is a great group of people!

I do have a question for the group. There was a thin coating of carbon in the valve and inside the manifold that it attached to. Any idea how much carbon would be of concern (potential valve guide issues)? I have had no CEL issues or reason to believe there are problems, just wondering now that I had a chance to examine the internals for the first time.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:19 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by xcghgh
Does anybody know for sure if the crowsfoot is indeed a 1 and 1/8th. I was planning on picking one up tomorrow. Also is there a complete parts list for the SAI flush available?
27mm = 1.062" which is 1 1/16" as stated previously in the thread.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:02 AM
DanL993
button queen

Dan,
Got the tool today and had immediate success! While I was waiting for the tool, I used a syringe to squirt some Liquid Wrench Super Penetrant on the threads/base of the valve two nights in a row and let that soak in. I used a long handle socket wrench with a 24" cheater bar over the handle. It popped lose with very little pressure (but I had a lot of leverage on it with that cheater bar). Not sure if I was just lucky, or the Liquid Wrench helped or the leverage was right, but it came loose.

This is a great group of people!

I do have a question for the group. There was a thin coating of carbon in the valve and inside the manifold that it attached to. Any idea how much carbon would be of concern (potential valve guide issues)? I have had no CEL issues or reason to believe there are problems, just wondering now that I had a chance to examine the internals for the first time.
Bill, glad it worked. Very much my pleasure to help anyone here I can. Got your email too.

Now I have a question for you. With all this help, advice and fellowship, why don't you spring for a membership? Worth it's weight in gold.......in fact, do that and you don't have to reimburse me for the postage. Consider it "rental of the tool" in arrears.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:43 AM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by DanL993
Bill, glad it worked. Very much my pleasure to help anyone here I can. Got your email too.

Now I have a question for you. With all this help, advice and fellowship, why don't you spring for a membership? Worth it's weight in gold.......in fact, do that and you don't have to reimburse me for the postage. Consider it "rental of the tool" in arrears.
You know I was going say something in my response about the membership. Between this and several other great examples of help and partnership over the past few weeks, I have been convinced of the value of the membership. I will be joining today!
Old 01-21-2015, 11:03 AM
DanL993
button queen

You know I was going say something in my response about the membership. Between this and several other great examples of help and partnership over the past few weeks, I have been convinced of the value of the membership. I will be joining today!
Old 03-27-2015, 05:38 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Anyone with a 27mm or 1 1/6 crowsfoot tool; can you tell me the dimension to grind to, for clearance under the SAI valve? Its not stated in the thread...
TIA,
Paul

EDIT
My apologies for reviving an old thread...I found the answer with further searching. .275" or 7mm

2-The crowsfoot was way too thick so you have to grind it down. I think it measured about 10 mm thick so you need to remove 3 mm of material which will leave you with the proper thickness of 7 mm. It will fit perfectly and the place where you insert the adapter and extension bar into the crowsfoot lined up just right to clear the side of the valve body and that metal tube.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:57 PM
DanL993
button queen

I have one I will lend you!
Old 03-28-2015, 12:27 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you just grab the valve with some channel locks and pry it until it snaps off, then slip a 1-1/8" socket over it and spin it out. Piece of cake

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...sai-valve.html

Quick Reply: SAI check valve tool