993 Forum 1995-1998

Aerokit Chin Spoiler or Rennsport Front Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 12:43 AM
jhale
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerokit Chin Spoiler or Rennsport Front Spoiler

I can't seem to make up my mind on which of the two front spoilers I prefer. I just had the front bumper re-sprayed and the turbo s ducts installed and now I want to add either the chin spoiler or RS front spoiler. It appears as if there are very subtle differences but I may be missing something. I have been looking at various owners’ pictures and it appears as if there is a pretty equal split on this mod.

What is everyone's preference? I found these on Gert's website but does anyone else recommend other places to look?

Thanks,

JH
Old 09-07-2005, 12:59 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JH,
You should also add the matching rear spoiler. By adding the front spoiler your creating down force on the front end, you need to equal it out in at the rear as well.
Many folks here have added the RS front, with the RS tail. Looks very good.

This is only my opinion, other opinions may differ. I am not trying to insult anyone, nor am I trying to be rude.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:02 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be aware that the Aerokit front spoiler hits on everything if you are lowered. I keep repainting the bottom flat black to hide the scuff marks.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:56 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like the RS look (plan to do it myself some day). I know Kelly in Kauai is selling a bunch of RS body stuff.

As for other places to buy, MA Shaw makes some really great aftermarket pieces, including the RS splitters and tail (both for <$1k). Check their website (no affiliation, blah, blah, blah).
Old 09-09-2005, 01:07 PM
Racer944
Racer

For anyone interested, I may have for sale shortly a set of brand new MASHAW RS front splitters for sale... They have never been mounted and are excellent quality pieces.

Cheers;
Eric
Old 09-09-2005, 01:15 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pete Lech
Be aware that the Aerokit front spoiler hits on everything if you are lowered. I keep repainting the bottom flat black to hide the scuff marks.
Pete - you have a C2S...you sure you have the Aerokit package on your car and not the Turbo S chin spoiler? I think the Turbo bumper w/ the S chin spoiler is the best looking combo....need to do that to my car someday...
Old 09-09-2005, 01:24 PM
jhale
Pro

Racer944,

I might be interested in your RS Splitters if they aren't painted.

Pete Lech,

Do you have Gert's FPB and if so, do you still bottom out with your front spoiler? I'm planning on lowering the car (still factory) but only taking it down to the Eruo spec's. Does the chin spoiler sit up any higher than the RS splitters?
Old 09-09-2005, 02:06 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Racer944
For anyone interested, I may have for sale shortly a set of brand new MASHAW RS front splitters for sale... They have never been mounted and are excellent quality pieces.

Cheers;
Eric

Hey Eric...

Why selling the splitters?
Old 09-09-2005, 07:30 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete Lech
Is that the same as a GT2/RSCS spoiler?

Like this front one?
Old 09-09-2005, 07:34 PM
Racer944
Racer

JEFF: Silly reason actually... I bought factory ones that were already fitted for the car. I have absolutely no issues or complaints with the quality of the MAShaw ones, its just that the factory pieces are.. well... factory (I know, I said it was silly!) and they are already fitted and flexible primered, so install will be that much easier. If these factory parts had not come up, the MASHAW pieces would be on my car in a matter of weeks.

JHALE: They are not painted, they are exactly as they arrived from MAShaw... If your serious, drop me a PM and we can chat. by the way, the aerokit chin spoilers/splitters and the RS splitters are the same height from the ground. The only difference is that the RS splitters have the "lip" that angles upwards on a 20 degree angle on the sides of the bumper whereas the Aerokit lip just wraps around the bumper corner flat.

Cheers;
Eric

RS splitters (Thanks to Gert for the pic):
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2005, 01:43 AM
soltino
Rennlist Member

What's a splitter and why is it called a splitter?

tino
Old 09-11-2005, 01:16 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I have the MA Shaw replicas of the Aerokit II on the front and rear.

I do have Gert's FPB, which I bought before I added the new body parts. I even put rubber spacers on to lower it, but the splitter is still lower than the FPB, so it is essentially of no help.

Here is a close-up

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/mi...ht_closeup.jpg
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2005, 01:37 AM
jhale
Pro

Pete, thanks for the input and visual. I like the look of the aerokit II package on your car, especially with the turbo bumper. Do you think that with the RS splitters which taper in the middle, the FPB will take more of the impact than the front spoiler vs. your aerokit spoiler which does not taper in the middle and essentially sits in front of the FPB? If not, I wonder if the FPB is worthwhile.

Thanks- JH
Old 09-11-2005, 01:43 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

The FPB is not much help with the RS Splitters. Personal experience.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:53 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by soltino
What's a splitter and why is it called a splitter?

tino
Tino,

The splitter is a kind of lower spoiler. In Porsches' case, the lower spoilers help high-speed stability and channel air flow to oil coolers and brakes, so they are more for function than pure looks.

It is called a splitter because this paricular RS design comes in two pieces and are not joined in the middle.

For instance, the GT2 spoiler is a one-piece spoiler and is not called a splitter.

Here is a pic that clearly show how the RS splitters are 2 pieces. Hope this helps a little.

Enjoy.

CP
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Aerokit Chin Spoiler or Rennsport Front Spoiler