Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Convert cab top to manual operation

Old 07-04-2008, 10:27 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I had issues with the cables and fixed it by shortening the plastic around the shaft. There is a posting about the repair. The most difficult thing was removing the glued carpet to get access to the cables. Now back to automatic operation ...

Erik
Old 04-17-2021, 06:15 PM
Bigwood
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

revival of an old thread here!
I am trying to revert back to motorized soft top operation. Do I just crank down the bolt to lock the arm in the transmission or is there a Key or slot that must be lined up to "time or lock" the planetary gearbox to the link arm? Essentially I am trying to screw back in the 20mm emergency top release bolts but am stumped,
thanks for any help!!

Last edited by Bigwood; 04-17-2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:53 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigwood
revival of an old thread here!
I am trying to revert back to motorized soft top operation. Do I just crank down the bolt to lock the arm in the transmission or is there a Key or slot that must be lined up to "time or lock" the planetary gearbox to the link arm? Essentially I am trying to screw back in the 20mm emergency top release bolts but am stumped,
thanks for any help!!
See this, it should help you. Aligning top

I do it slightly differently, but this should get you going.
The following users liked this post:
Bigwood (04-18-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 09:37 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Be careful if you go manual you might gall the metal where the top frame engages the key in the transmission and when you want to go back to auto it might be a big problem. Ask me how I know. I took the trouble of completely restoring mine and it works great. New cables, completely took the transmission apart, cleaned and grease it. I removed the motor control board and re soldered all the solder connections. Fully auto working great. I made a posting on the whole operation where I explain the galling with photos. If you damage the transmission it will cost a lot if you can find it.
Bigwood (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 02:20 PM
Bigwood
Racer

@CabrioArtie @Rdelvalle thanks guys, ill read all this and hope to tackle the top today!
Old 04-20-2021, 10:31 AM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

The job of restoring the top mechanism is fastidious but very doable if you have time, patience and are mechanically inclined. The best thing is that like everything once you do it you have the experience which will make it much easier next time. I have a 1959 Corvette and the top is manual. Very easy to open and close. However since the Porsche has an automatic top I personally like to have the car working as it was intended. I can sympathized with those that go manual but be aware that once you do that you might have a problem if you want to go back. If you decide to fix it I can help you through it and I have a detailed posting on how to do it. Good luck.

Roberto
Old 04-20-2021, 12:59 PM
Bigwood
Racer

Originally Posted by Rdelvalle
The job of restoring the top mechanism is fastidious but very doable if you have time, patience and are mechanically inclined. The best thing is that like everything once you do it you have the experience which will make it much easier next time. I have a 1959 Corvette and the top is manual. Very easy to open and close. However since the Porsche has an automatic top I personally like to have the car working as it was intended. I can sympathized with those that go manual but be aware that once you do that you might have a problem if you want to go back. If you decide to fix it I can help you through it and I have a detailed posting on how to do it. Good luck.

Roberto
thanks, that would be super helpful! Can you send me a link to your. Instructions?
Old 04-21-2021, 06:44 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...tructions.html

This is the link for the Top Control board repair. Unfortunately when I did the posting I use Photobucket and you can only see the small photos at the beginning of the posting. Photobucket started charging and consequently you can not see the photos. I will look for the mechanical posting and follow up with it.
Bigwood (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 06:50 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

993 Cab Top Cable Failure Repair Tips - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
Bigwood (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 06:56 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

Bigwood if you need more information PM me
Bigwood (04-21-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 04:48 PM
Heidi993
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rdelvalle

Roberto
Hi - about 3 years ago we converted the cab top to manual operation.
The reason was the front latches weren't locking in, but making it manual didn't cure this, it needs adjusting.
I have completely forgotten what we did to make it manual.
We have the car in our garage for the winter, and are looking at putting the roof back to mechanical.
The 19mm bolts are loose, but whichever way we turn them, they stop dead without tightening anything - is this right?
I wonder if you could help with some advice?
Would it help if we posted photos?
Thanks - Heidi

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convert cab top to manual operation