993 (964 ,968 ) Odometer Repair DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 01:01 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 993 (964 ,968 ) Odometer Repair DIY

Problem: Your speedometer works, but odometer gears stop turning. It usually happens right after you hit the trip reset button. The drive gear that turns the odometer and tripmeter, over time, and thanks to VDO coating a plastic gear with a petroleum lubricant, turns to jelly. Your options to fix are: send to a speedo shop, buy a new speedo, ignore it (sorry, but that's illegal), or spend about $20 and hour and fix it yourself. Read down for legal rules if you want to stay legit with your mileage.

EDIT: This whole DIY is now officially on http://www.p-car.com.

More specifically, see it ---> HERE <---

Last edited by BS911; 03-09-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:51 AM
blackcat
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool! thanks Brian!
Old 06-25-2005, 09:02 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great DIY. But I realize... Hmmm, no wonder people are suspicious of low mileage cars.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:11 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

Thanks for all your effort! Threads like these are what make this board the valuable resource it is. Nice photos too.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:38 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

I have the same problem but don't think I have the patience to do this DYI. Great thread though.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

very timely Brian - thanks.

Mine just gave up the ghost at 70k miles.

Ben
Old 06-25-2005, 08:14 PM
burgass
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brian thanks! Maybe you can post all this in the DIY forums for 993 and 964
Old 06-26-2005, 02:28 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Brian-

You da MAN! I've been procrastinating about fixing mine, and while I saw the part advertised in Pano, I didn't just didn't want to dive in, screw it up as I'm sure I would, and ship the whole mess to California. Now, I've got a clearer idea of what I need to do. Can you come up to NJ and supervise me? Just kidding, although there is some Guinness lurking about if you happen to pass nearby! Thanks to you!

Jim
Old 06-29-2005, 10:53 AM
pchak
Pro

I was just getting ready to send my speedo to a shop, when I read this excellent DIY. Extremely concise-gives me enough optimism to be crazy enough to attempt this!

Perhaps I'll do the white face guages, after I do a search to see how hard the rest of the gauges are!

This should nicely compliment the brushed rings from the group buy.

Also, how have people who have had to deal with this disclose the odo issue at time of sale? Would this justify sending it to a speedo shop, or do you think this type of documentation is enough?

Last edited by pchak; 06-29-2005 at 10:57 AM. Reason: add'l ?
Old 06-29-2005, 11:40 AM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

Brian,

Outstanding write-up!!! Cheers to you!

Scott
Old 06-29-2005, 11:47 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks all for the note on the DIY. I love to actually contribute where I can. Leave it to me though to find the really left-field ones.

I was going to speculate on the law, but figured I'd let you speculate on your own. However, once you drive with the odometer not working, I believe the car will always be a TMU ... true mileage unknown. However, fixing it is fixing it. The law doesn't say - as far as I could tell - that some special, licensed, law-abiding, odometer guru repair it. In fact, it says a "person" may repair it. I'm sure some will argue, but I think I qualify as one of those. It really just says that it must be repaired and what to do if the mileage changes because of the repair and that it must be noted on the sale. For the real facts... here are the relavant laws...

TITLE 49 > SUBTITLE VI > PART C > CHAPTER 327 > § 32703 Prev | Next

§ 32703. Preventing tampering

Release date: 2005-03-17

A person may not—
(1) advertise for sale, sell, use, install, or have installed, a device that makes an odometer of a motor vehicle register a mileage different from the mileage the vehicle was driven, as registered by the odometer within the designed tolerance of the manufacturer of the odometer;
(2) disconnect, reset, alter, or have disconnected, reset, or altered, an odometer of a motor vehicle intending to change the mileage registered by the odometer;
(3) with intent to defraud, operate a motor vehicle on a street, road, or highway if the person knows that the odometer of the vehicle is disconnected or not operating; or
(4) conspire to violate this section or section 32704 or 32705 of this title.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h...3----000-.html

§ 32704. Service, repair, and replacement

Release date: 2005-03-17

(a) Adjusting Mileage.— A person may service, repair, or replace an odometer of a motor vehicle if the mileage registered by the odometer remains the same as before the service, repair, or replacement. If the mileage cannot remain the same—
(1) the person shall adjust the odometer to read zero; and
(2) the owner of the vehicle or agent of the owner shall attach a written notice to the left door frame of the vehicle specifying the mileage before the service, repair, or replacement and the date of the service, repair, or replacement.
(b) Removing or Altering Notice.— A person may not, with intent to defraud, remove or alter a notice attached to a motor vehicle as required by this section.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h...4----000-.html
TITLE 49 > SUBTITLE VI > PART C > CHAPTER 327 > § 32705 Prev | Next

§ 32705. Disclosure requirements on transfer of motor vehicles

This one is too long to paste, but access the full doc here.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h...5----000-.html
Old 06-29-2005, 12:21 PM
dhicks
Drifting

I dont have this issue...yet...had it happen on my 951.....but wanted to commend you on the time taken to provide a really good commentary on the process, will be used by many for sure....maybe this will go on p-car diy
Old 08-10-2005, 10:21 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this repair tonight. But -- and this is very surprising -- the original odometer gear was still intact, every tooth was still there. It was, however, very soft. I replaced it however, thinking it couldn't hurt especially since I had everything apart. Then did my usual stare-at-it-until-my-eyeballs-hurt-trying-to-find-something-else-obviously-wrong, to no avail. Put everything back together, reinstalled, and -- surprise -- the odometer now works. Go figure. Brian's instructions are spot on, and he's correct about the speedo needle. Be extra careful with that, even when reinstalling. Before you take it off, note where it is at rest (on mine, the first hash mark on the speedo, signifying, i guess, zero. It's a bit tricky to get it realigned exactly but keep working at it BEFORE you do the final press fit. If you've got instrument bulbs burned out on the speedo (there are three of them), now's the time to replace those, too. Whole thing took me 45 minutes, mostly thanks to Brian's instructions. And, yes, www.odometergear.com and Jeff Caplan were as helpful as Brian pointed out.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:02 AM
jnor10
Instructor

I recently did this as well.

Man, I just scratch my head when you guys post such short DIY times. It took 45 min for me just to get the gauge out (including gathering my worklight and tools)

Anyhow, not much to add, Brian did an excellent write-up on this. My gear was shot, broken teeth, etc. The replacement (plastic injection mold) is robust.Taking the bezel off the guage was slow for me as I was trying to maintain damage control. Using a variety of small tools, I'd say the flat blade screw driver worked best; as recommended.

Taking the speedo needle off is a high anxiety moment, as if you break the small needle shaft your out some large ones (~700). Jeff at Odometergears.com was very helpful and patient in discussing the correct technique to remove the needle. If you want, you can stop at that point and have a pro finish where you left off for a small fee (never discussed the details).

Follow the DIY, its straight forward, gear was $25 plus postage.
My OD failed at 75K.

Jeff N.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:55 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's great news. Glad this was helpful. That's funny Jeff about your mileage. I stared at 73k for the longest time.

Quick Reply: 993 (964 ,968 ) Odometer Repair DIY