993 (964 ,968 ) Odometer Repair DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 04:40 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 97' C2S coupe. Is the odometer a 15-16 tooth?

Originally Posted by rlsammax
Odometer stopped working. Thanks for all the info. Before I take apart….I need to order the usual gears that break. What gears should I order. I have a or what size gear?97' C2S coupe. Is the odometer a 15-16 tooth

Ralph
Bump

I have the same question, and would rather not take out the speedo twice. Any input?
Old 04-05-2015, 04:41 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 97' C2S coupe. Is the odometer a 16 or 17 tooth?

Sorry for the duplicate, had the title wrong and cannot delete the first post.

Bump

I have the same question, and would rather not take out the speedo twice. Any input?
Old 07-16-2015, 02:12 PM
FrannyB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I too am wondering on the number of teeth. Looks like you need to buy both gears at $50? That right?

Mine just failed on an outing last weekend. This is the third car with a broken Odometer. The other two I sent off to NHS, but I think I'd like to try fixing this one...

Odometergears.com says the 16 is the most common... Anyone run across the 15 tooth?

My car is a '94/95 C Cab - US spec.

Oh, any info on how to get it out of the dash? I hear that is a bummer...

Thanks,

Franny
Old 07-16-2015, 04:19 PM
993KHTO
Racer

Default gears

I ended up buying all 3 and returning the 1 I didn't use. You pay a 35% restock fee on the $25 gear you return which is $8.75 in this case. For me $8.75 was worth it to not waste time or have the odometer out for days while I wait to swap out the wrong part if I guessed wrong on the number of teeth...
Old 07-16-2015, 04:20 PM
FrannyB
Advanced

So, which one did you use? The 16 or 15?
Old 07-16-2015, 04:31 PM
993KHTO
Racer

Default Odometer

I believe it is 16 or 17? I haven't done it yet. On my calendar for last week of July hopefully.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:38 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Go to Ebay, search for "993 odometer gear" and buy it. It has 16 teeth. No need to buy anything else. $18.99 including shipping.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:32 PM
FrannyB
Advanced

Ok, I am reporting back after I just got done with this...

Question #1 How to get the spedo out in the first place: Remove the clock first. It is quite a bit easier to get out and you can then reach in and push the spedo out.

Question #3 Gear color: Red. The most common is blue/green 16 tooth, mine was red - 17 tooth.

I ordered both the pod gear (16 tooth of course) and the little planetary gear ahead of time. I just followed the steps from the video on YouTube (Thanks so much!) and all went according to plan. When I got the old gear out, the little planetary gear was missing a tooth and it was dark yellow. The pod gear was just fine so I just reused it. I would have replaced it if I had one with the correct number of teeth

I carefully put it back together and it went right back into the car with no issues. Now, the clock did give me some grief. Its gasket wanted to ride up over the bezel. It just took a few tries and it seated properly...

My car is a '94/95 Carrera Cab with 57K on the clock.

Thanks,

Franny
Old 07-21-2015, 12:01 PM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally didn't have much difficulty in getting the speedo out. The only way you'll KNOW that you're set up to complete when you remove the speedo is having both the alternatives on hand. Apparently the 16 tooth (green) is the most common so chances are good that if you ordered the deal from ebay, that would work for you. Usually only the little planetary gear is the broken bit but when I changed out mine, I noticed a small crack in the green gear. I don't like doing things over so I bought both items. Cheers
Old 04-08-2017, 03:35 PM
Beezztie
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts

My Odometer appears to be the exception to the rule. The tripmeter showed intermittent behaviour so I expected to fix that by replacing the gear. But after assembly and taking it for a testdrive the problem was still there. Tapping the face made the tripmeter run for a few minutes and it got stuck again.
Disassembled the unit again and without finding a possible cause I was thinking maybe the stepper motor was dying, everything else looked OK. As a last resort I examined the connections on the circuit board with a magnifying glass. Then I noticed that the soldering of the connections for the motor showed very minor cracks. Re-soldering those and to make sure also the connections for the wiring and gave it one more shot. That fixed it!
Old 05-14-2018, 08:54 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,018 Posts

A good DIY video:
The following users liked this post:
Sagres74 (10-22-2020)
Old 08-11-2018, 07:12 AM
Gaz
AutoX

Hi,
I hope someone can help with my strange odometer issue on my 964.
Firstly the speedometer works perfectly.
The odometer is intermittent. Firstly I replaced the small cog (as per the useful videos on this thread). No change.
I now have replaced both cogs, but it is still the same.
It works for a few miles & then freezes. Both the Odometer & trip meter stop at the same time.
If I then leave the car for a few hours & go for another run it will work again for a few miles & then freeze again. The speedo needle works perfectly all the time.

I would appreciate any suggestions on where to look next.

Thanks,
Gary.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:33 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaz
Hi,
I hope someone can help with my strange odometer issue on my 964.
Firstly the speedometer works perfectly.
The odometer is intermittent. Firstly I replaced the small cog (as per the useful videos on this thread). No change.
I now have replaced both cogs, but it is still the same.
It works for a few miles & then freezes. Both the Odometer & trip meter stop at the same time.
If I then leave the car for a few hours & go for another run it will work again for a few miles & then freeze again. The speedo needle works perfectly all the time.

I would appreciate any suggestions on where to look next.

Thanks,
Gary.
Gary,
When you replaced the gears, did you blow out the odometer with compressed air to make sure there are no gear teeth floating around inside, to get stuck and jam any of the mechanical moving parts?

A good DIY video:
This video was already posted in #60, of this thread...
Old 08-11-2018, 11:27 PM
Gaz
AutoX

Yes, when I replaced both gears I blew compressed air.
Is it still possible this is the issue when it seems to work for a bit when it is cold?
Are there any tests I can do when it is out of the car (eg manually trying to turn the motor)?
I appreciate your help,
Gary.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:48 PM
schnell
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaz
Yes, when I replaced both gears I blew compressed air.
Is it still possible this is the issue when it seems to work for a bit when it is cold?
Are there any tests I can do when it is out of the car (eg manually trying to turn the motor)?
I appreciate your help,
Gary.
Just a suggestion: Beezztie's post above is a plausible explanation... the temperature sensitivity is consistent with bad or cracked solder joints/traces.

Quick Reply: 993 (964 ,968 ) Odometer Repair DIY