Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 (964 ,968 ) Odometer Repair DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 12:32 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I was the founder of the SC World Domination Plot.
I used to be on Pelican daily. The 993 forum is a bit on the slow side though so I've migrated over here. They don't miss me though.

What was your handle? I bet I'd recognize it.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:55 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think I ever contributed too much in my early days as "Serverdude911". Although I wrote a 964 valve adjustment at one point. Wayne used it for a bit until he did his own for his book. (His was much better I'm sure.) I do remember the world domination plot though... is there a 993 domination plot in the making?
Old 10-21-2005, 01:14 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is there a 993 domination plot in the making?
...No need for one... we're already there.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:33 AM
Rick Sylvestri
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I remember Leland was "the head Honcho" for the SCWDP's. Some of your old posts were great Leland, if I remeber right didn't you do a total 1st time engine rebuild sometime in '02?
I think I started lurking on Pelican in '01 under 'Silveresrty911S' and then here in '03.
Just kinda movin up to the top of the air cooled era.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:48 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Outstanding effort! It's nice to see someone taking the initaitive to repair something this fiddley once in a while, instead of chucking them out and buying a new one.

Now if only someone would lead the way on a sticky oil pressure gauge.....
Old 03-09-2006, 12:58 PM
LarryN
Advanced

This is a great DIY (I just bought the gear) But the photos are no longer showing up, anyone have the same problem or have a suggestion?
Old 03-09-2006, 03:37 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi LarryN...

Try this link...

http://p-car.com/diy/odometer/

I had pulled the pics from my site originally, and my site bombed a while back. P-car has the files though. Don't know why the link isn't listed on the main page though.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:04 PM
LarryN
Advanced

Thanks very much Brian, I should have known to look at P-Car too.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:39 PM
bobinbuff
Track Day

Was the speedo/odometer an issue in the 993s. My 97 had its odometer replaced by the dealer at about 30k. I was wary about buying it due to this issue but the milage corresponded to carfax data, title was ok and reflected
new odometer and I actually tracked down the last owner who said the speedo was somewhat off so he changed it out and the new odometer had to start with zero so my 993 read about 3k when I bought it last month.Please tell me this is not unusual or fishy sounding!!
Old 03-09-2006, 10:00 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Photos are purged from Rennlist after a while to save space.

If you want to reload them and then post this to the DIY forum, it will be preserved for generations to enjoy.

Marc
p.s. The 964 plot to let 993 owners think they are achieving world domination seems to be working......
Old 03-09-2006, 11:32 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

bobinbuff
This particular problem shows up as a working speedo but odo gears not moving. Your problem sounds completely different. Not to say it isn't legit, but different. Technically, at least he got the wheels turning again. However, once you replace an odometer, repair, or otherwise alter it, you can ONLY sell a car as TMU... true mileage unknown. That will certainly lower its blue book value. I got criticism from someone for actually posting this diy as some people think you should have a professional, licensed magician restore your odometer to exactly how it was so your car stays legit. I don't care if you do it or if Hollywood Speedo does it, or if you just put a new speedo in, your car is TMU. Caveat : If there is a sticker inside the left door frame indicating the mileage on the old odometer before repair and the car was sold taking that mileage into account, then all seems on the up and up. That is the only way around a repair and not go TMU on the registration. (See the post near the top with links to the actual law I was able to find.) Since you say the mileage was reset to zero, that is a good start. Since you say "about 30k" before the repair, I'd at least be curious.

So... if you don't have a sticker AND the exact before repair mileage and date wasn't disclosed, you have an argument against the dealer who sold it to you. You've also had a month to own your car and if all is well, it might be best not to worry about it and just concede that your car has 33,000 miles. This is a hard one really to size up because it is a combination of a legal and highly emotional issue over your new baby. Yuk! Hopefully there is no foul play involved.

I hope any of this helped.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:27 AM
bobinbuff
Track Day

Thanx for the frank post.I have been looking for a 993 for almost a year. This cab was black/tan which I really like and a cab /tip which I also wanted {nothing against thrashing gears}. Delivered to my door was $30,550. Certainly reasonable. I have put new 18 " tires on it, a taillight lens and a oil service. Just bought a boot on ebay for $300. Plan to update radio and sparkplugs bringing me to about$35k. I honestly don't have the time to seek, drive , inspect every available 993 in the lower 48. I can't say I am completely comfortable with this "deal" but the car drives well and really is pretty clean so I will drive it and enjoy. If it turns into a dog I figure my downside is $5-8k and I'll buy something else when I turn 50 next year. Lifes a gamble, porsches are far more fun than selling/ buying stocks. Thanx again, will keep you posted.
PS its sort of cool having an odometer with 2k on it!! I also talked to the owner that changed the speedo and he confirmed the milage a t that time so I'm pretty ok. The downside as you pointed out is resale time down the road when the purists run away for lack of complete books/records.Time will tell.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:47 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think you have a great attitude about it. If it all checks out and you don't have problems, it isn't worth obsessing over. From other threads, it looks like you did your homework, which puts you ahead of the curve anyway.

Now, on to more important matters. I don't recall seeing you post pictures of your new 993 yet. The ice is getting thin. Better act fast.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:32 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

hello to all ...

as i have been always related to the yacht world,(where you get all kind of contaminants on the engine rooms ...) i can tell you for sure that oil-greases-diesel fuels., etc ... damage all kind of plastic and rubbers, but those specially designed for that applications. My odom. stop working at only 20.000 miles, but the car has 11 years old. So is not actually a matter of how much you use the car/odometer, but a matter of the grease over the plastics.
(excuse poor english) rgds, eloy

(ps: you can lubricate plastics with silicone based grease)
(scuba stores has a very good one totally harmless to plastics-rubbers by the way)
Old 03-10-2006, 10:47 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I think you can use a power drill to rotate the odo in either direction pretty quickly. Mine just quit at 188450!! I am suspicious of such high miles as I've put 3000 thousand miles on it and I'm only down 1/2 to one quart. Do you think it could have been rolled forward? :0

Quick Reply: 993 (964 ,968 ) Odometer Repair DIY