993 Forum 1995-1998

Alternator Belt Tension Sensor Noise / Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 01:08 PM
benedsha
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Belt Tension Sensor Noise / Squeal

I have a high pitch squealing noise that is coming from the belt area on the engine. I had the belts replaced recently at the 30,000 mile inspection and within two weeks, the squealing started upon start-up and after long periods of driving after the engine was warm. I had the belts retensioned and the noise is still there. I started to probe a little more and it seems to be coming from the belt tension sensor / roller. I know that this was not the safest approach but when I placed a little pressure on the sensor roller that is positioned on the belt, the noise changed or disappeared completely. If I can assume that the belts are tightened appropriately after two adjustments,

Am I way off base to assume that the noise could be coming from this sensor and replace it for $70 or should I take this into a dealership and let them charge a $100 just to diagnose? Has anyone else experienced this. I have searched the archives for other belt noises and no one mentioned the issue coming from the sensor.

Thanks and look forward to any help.
Shane
Old 05-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had that too a while ago.

Stop your engine, put some tape on the sensor to be sure the roller doesn't touch the belt anymore and start up you engine. If the noise doesn't come back : that's it! Easy to change by yourself.

Good luck!
Old 05-22-2005, 01:20 PM
benedsha
5th Gear

That is why that I love this site. Help comes from all over the globe. Thanks for the idea. I will try it this afternoon.

Shane
Old 05-22-2005, 01:42 PM
benedsha
5th Gear

It was in fact the Alternator Belt Tension Sensor. Taped it back and no noise. Any quick tips on replacing? Not a lot of room to manuever around the compartment in this area. Thanks again for your help.

Shane
Old 05-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As a quick fix, I would first try to spray some oil on it. Don't forget to protect the belt not to grease them.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:02 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by benedsha
It was in fact the Alternator Belt Tension Sensor. Taped it back and no noise. Any quick tips on replacing? Not a lot of room to manuever around the compartment in this area. Thanks again for your help.

Shane
There is a step by step instruction on p-car to fix this.

here is the link...http://p-car.com/diy/roller/

Quick Reply: Alternator Belt Tension Sensor Noise / Squeal