Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Can't get rock guards clean...suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 05:41 PM
J.Ho
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can't get rock guards clean...suggestions?

I have a white C2, the rocker panels and the rock guard (in front of the rear wheel, clear) I can't seem to get them clean.

I polished with MacGuires #1 until my elbows hurt but still little specks of what appears to be dirt or grease that won't come out. Also the rocker panels have like a dirt look in some areas that won't come out either...

Any suggestions on another cleaning product to do the trick?

Jeff
Old 01-25-2005, 05:52 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Try some bug and tar remover. You'll find it on the shelf next to all the waxes.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:02 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Jeff,

You're talking about the clear stone guards just forward of the rear wheels on the painted (flared) surface, right? The clear vinyl material actually absorbs the impact of the stones thrown up by the front tires and get kind of sand-blasted. And the vinyl material will stain if oil or tar is thrown up on it and not cleaned off right away. They are quite easy to replace - many posts on this. I used the Invinca-Shield set and they were nice quality and a bit larger than the Porsche OEM replacement pieces. Also 1/2 the Porsche OEM price.

The rocker panels come from the factory with that kind of "crinkle" soft surface coating and they also take a beating and can get stained. That's an area that would be easy to touchup, even with a factory touchup brush kit by hand.

Also, the 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover works well for stains and tar marks and will not mar the vinyl stone guard material.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:05 PM
J.Ho
Racer

Originally Posted by mike cap
Jeff,

You're talking about the clear stone guards just forward of the rear wheels on the painted (flared) surface, right? The clear vinyl material actually absorbs the impact of the stones thrown up by the front tires and get kind of sand-blasted. And the vinyl material will stain if oil or tar is thrown up on it and not cleaned off right away. They are quite easy to replace - many posts on this. I used the Invinca-Shield set and they were nice quality and a bit larger than the Porsche OEM replacement pieces. Also 1/2 the Porsche OEM price.

The rocker panels come from the factory with that kind of "crinkle" soft surface coating and they also take a beating and can get stained. That's an area that would be easy to touchup, even with a factory touchup brush kit by hand.
Oh, very cool. Yeah, the previous owner didn't take the best care of the car, unfortunately. Took me all morning to detail it today.

Can u give me a link to the invica shield?

Good idea on the touch up kit...sounds like the plan.

Jeff
Old 01-25-2005, 06:12 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Jeff,

http://www.invinca-shield.com/asp/genkit.asp?kit=3611

This should be the kit for a '96 C2 - same as my '97 C2. Rear fender part # 12. Price is for both RH and LH sides (2 pieces for $76). Toughest part of this job is removing the old pieces. Patience, a warm garage and a quart or two of 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover will do the trick.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:16 PM
J.Ho
Racer

Originally Posted by mike cap
Jeff,

http://www.invinca-shield.com/asp/genkit.asp?kit=3611

This should be the kit for a '96 C2 - same as my '97 C2. Rear fender part # 12. Price is for both RH and LH sides (2 pieces for $76). Toughest part of this job is removing the old pieces. Patience, a warm garage and a quart or two of 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover will do the trick.
Thanks a million Mike!
Old 01-25-2005, 08:24 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Take them off!!! I took my of almost a year ago and all is well. No rock chips yet and it's a daily driver.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:28 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mac993...my car throws small rocks and other stuff at the rear flairs and my ston gard has small marks on it to show the results. There is no way I would remove these sheilds...you must live and drive under a lucky star...
Old 01-25-2005, 10:40 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah I had a lot of people try an talk me out of doing it but I was planning a front re-spray anyway so I said what the hell. My stone guards looked like SH-T and with a black car they stood out even more. Like I said above I took them off a year ago and still have yet to recieve one chip (knock on wood). I might just be lucky but but I've got to say I think it looks ten times better without them.

Quick Reply: Can't get rock guards clean...suggestions?