Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 09:04 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Viken
First post by 1999Porsche911: The IP Address is: 67.175.14.212. The host name is: c-67-175-14-212.client.comcast.net.
Second post by JustAnotherPorsche: The IP Address is: 67.175.14.212. The host name is: c-67-175-14-212.client.comcast.net.

So the only question left, is: are you off your medication, or are you just trying to game the system to cause trouble? In either case, I think you need to rethink your behavior.

I think a public apology is in order for both playing with yourself and attacking others. Playing with yourself is something best done in private, rather than sharing it with the rest of us. Do it again, and you'll be banned from these forums.
For shame, my son! Playing with oneself is a sin unto God. Thou should not burden thy Rennlist brothers with such a sight.

You must say 100 Hail Marys, apologize to Rennlist, and deliver yourself to confession before you go blind.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:05 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Radar
So, are you saying that a shock should be good until its seals start leaking? I guess I've been throwing a lot of money away for years. I always replace my OEM shocks as soon as I notice handling degradation. Almost always that happens a lot sooner than 5 years and with no apparent leaks.
Gas pressure. Yes they do start leaking before this, but they are gone a little after 5 years.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think that we shouldn't have to hear about playing with oneself and also we shouldn't have to hear that jumping up and down on one corner of the car is a good test of the shocks!!!!!

That technique worked for american cars from the 1940s till somewhat more recently...it doesn't work for 993s or other performance cars.

Arg!!!! This thread is hysterical!!!!!
Old 01-04-2005, 11:51 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by JimBob Jumpback
wich wun dus I be usin ta show i relee be thinkin he be an *******?
:sphincter: ?

Yeah, I know, my sense of humor sucks.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:12 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Viken
Playing with yourself is something best done in private, rather than sharing it with the rest of us.
==================================================================
Plus, you'll go blind on top of that...
Old 01-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

...not to mention the hairy palms.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:38 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
...not to mention the hairy palms.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:58 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted Pzkw993

What kind of deals does AJUSA have right now... I could only find $2289 for PSS9s which is cheaper than Carnewal's exchange-adjusted price... anything else I'm missing?
AJUSA also have auctions on eBay and last week I saw an auction for a set of PSS9's for 993s for $2,249.00 BIN price.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:41 AM
deltawedge
Racer

Default shocks and things

Originally Posted by DJ
Now that the pogo-stick effect is so pronounced, do you think that it's possible that the shocks were the same, only to a slightly lesser degree at 22k miles? And to take this to its logical conclusion, couldn't we say the same for 21k, 20k, 19k, etc.? My point is that unless we have some basis on which to compare the system at hand to one that is "perfect", we're likely to miss the fact that the shocks are worn until they get really bad and start pogo-ing down the road.
All true. It needs to bother me just that little bit too much and then I replace them. From past experience though, I wait too long and wonder why I waited so long to replace them.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:17 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally Posted by deltawedge
All true. It needs to bother me just that little bit too much and then I replace them. From past experience though, I wait too long and wonder why I waited so long to replace them.
Very true, Ken. Everyone waits too long.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:03 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

One individual - posting under two different names? It's hard to believe the lengths people go to sometimes. Arent there better things to do with your time? This board is a great source of porsche info and opinions. Dont flood it with crap please... (but it's funny when you get caught!)
Old 01-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

1. I also waited too long - changed at 72K.
2. The static push down on the bumper does not reveal the problem.
3. What did reveal the problem:
a. pogo effect in high speed sweepers, like cornering on Jell-O
b. straight line harshness over bumps
c. repeated cupping of even new tires (starting at 45K), even on a fresh alignment.
4. After-market Bilstein HD have about 45K on them and feel like new.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:07 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
Gas pressure. Yes they do start leaking before this, but they are gone a little after 5 years.
This doesn't make any sense to me. I think that what is being missed/ignored is what causes shocks to 'wear out'. The real definition of a worn shock is one that does not provide the original damping curve any longer. The first and primary cause of this is breakdown of the shock oil. With use and exposure ot heat, the oil loses viscosity and the shock loses damping. The location of the shock, relative to cooling air and engine heat, is critical to it's life. With 911's, I seriously doubt that rear shocks are performing as new after as little as 5,000 miles. The fronts may well be even worse if there is a lot of brake heat transfer. For OEM, they are going to calibrate the shocks to account for some of this degradation.

BUT, if you think you have the right tuning for your car, it is not going to stay with you for very long (again, I bet less than 5,000 miles).

The other thing that seems misunderstood is the role of gas in a shock. It is not there primarily for tuning with pressure - it is there to keep the oil from cavitating. Since the shaft run inside the oil, as the shock compresses, the shaft displaces oil. On rebound, that creates a vacuum and the oil will cavitate - completely screwing up the damping curve. With Nirogen gas, there is pressure and compressibility which kills the cavitation. A shock only needs a small amount of pressure (5-10psi) to accomplish this task. Tuning with gas pressure is a secondary function and many experts feel that is a band-aid for improper shock tuning.

Mechanical wear is a different matter. Shocks can last a long, long time in that regard, but the damping will not be the same. If you are serious about your shocks, you will replace the oil on a regular basis and have them rebuilt regualarly as well. Most people can not feel the difference between significant shock changes but a shock dyno will show the reality.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:19 PM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the explanation Mark. Actually, despite the self gratification parts, one actually walks away with a little knowledge and some take home opinions from this thread. Bravo for bringing it back on point!
Old 01-05-2005, 01:24 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your Holiness

Is there a connection between playing with oneself and premature wear of the shock absorber??

Quick Reply: Shot Shocks