Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Installing additional oil cooler, which oil line is..?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 09:00 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Installing additional oil cooler, which oil line is..?

I'm not actually doing it yet but some of the parts are already here and rest are coming in fairly soon so I'm going to do this fairly soon.

FYI, I'm installing Mocal oil cooler on left side, behind the bumper )ala turbo S but bigger size and this is actually radiator cooler so cooling is more effective that Turbo S) and later if this is not enough, I'll add another one on other side.

So, those of you who've added extra cooler or know otherwise: which oil line (going into existing oil cooler) is incoming and which out? See picture from p-car.com, is it the top one, or the one where "U" tube is connected?

Also, I assume you run the oil first through existing oil cooler, then to the extra cooler and then back to the engine, or does it even matter?

Kiitos (thank you)!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Flying Finn; 11-29-2004 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:41 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

ff.....theoretically there will be a difference in the temperature drop depending on how you connect the two, in series or parallel.....we went thru this issue in a post some time ago....as i understand it the new RSR's are plumbed in parallel, resulting in less flow thru each, and therefore adding the amount of time the oil gets to stay in that nice cool air, and , therefore a greater heat loss and lower temperature.....if , in fact, the factory has them in parallel, the plumbing design must be a result of alot of testing because if the system doesn't have equal dynamic head loss in each of the branches, you will get more flow in one.....then again , for a street-racer i can't see as a practical matter that it will make a significant difference as long as your effort gets you get a lower oil return temperature.....whichever you decide to install, make sure your inlet and outlet are connected so that you don't get air bound or short -ciricuits.....if i were you i'd install them in series, a much simpler set-up.....IMHO
Old 11-25-2004, 01:52 PM
Kristoffer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FF:

Cool, after you install yours helping me wont be a problem
Old 11-25-2004, 02:47 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

I am not sure which is 'in' and 'out', but you can check it out by removing the fender liner, start the car when cold and feel for which line heats up first. You gotta monitor it closely as there is not much time after the thermostat opens to differentiate which oil line it is.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:11 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Mike,

I'll do mine in series, I though about parallel but like you said, series is easier (and cheaper) installation so I'm going to do that since I beleive benefit is pretty marginal with parallel set-up.
We'll see how succesful I am with my set-up once I'm done. And like I said, I have an option to adding another one if this isn't enough.

Which means I need to know which line is incoming oil and which going back to the engine.

Kristoffer,

You do know that engineering/designing costs for this kind of set-up are hugely expensive nowadays...

Chris,

That's a good trick, I'll use it if I can't get answer. I'd like to know before though.

Where's Kim & others who've done this? Eating turkey already?!
Old 11-26-2004, 01:55 AM
nman413
Drifting

FF, I would tell you but I cant remember. Actually, it shouldnt matter if you connect in series. Disconnect one line from the original, connect the new to both the old and the line you took off and you are done.

Doing this in parallel would mean you need to somehow split the lines... I havent seen a connector to do that yet. Remember, it's pretty fricking tight in there.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:23 AM
jayster
Instructor

Default which way ?

Look at some of mike w's pix on his cooler install ( he has them now)
hose length, and fitting selection will dictate how you end up installing them. I interupted the return line from the stock cooler, installed his coolers in series.
BTW it doesnt much matter ( except to those interested in theories) which way you hook it up, as the oil really doesnt know the difference, same goes for whether or not the fitting goes in on top, bottom, or side of the cooler(s).
Also, the kit I engineered for Mikes car is 4 time the cooling/oil capacity as the factories "Turbo S" setup (which is fine for even slightly modified cars, but not very cost effective) and twice capacity/cooling of Cargraphics setup at half the price.
Happy turkey day, yall.....
Old 11-26-2004, 09:17 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jayster
BTW it doesnt much matter ( except to those interested in theories) which way you hook it up, as the oil really doesnt know the difference, same goes for whether or not the fitting goes in on top, bottom, or side of the cooler(s).

....there are at least 300 pro racing crew chiefs that will argue that point, as well as every piece of literature that i've read on the subject, most notably Colin Smith's trilogy....

Also, the kit I engineered for Mikes car is 4 time the cooling/oil capacity as the factories "Turbo S" setup (which is fine for even slightly modified cars, but not very cost effective) and twice capacity/cooling of Cargraphics setup at half the price.

......how did you measure the "cooling capacity"......those reading this post might be interested in seeing the data..........
Old 11-26-2004, 09:20 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

.......oops, that quote didn't come out right......the middle paragraph on that last post is my response , not jayster's
Old 11-26-2004, 09:27 PM
kary993
Drifting

Look at some of mike w's pix on his cooler install ( he has them now)
hose length, and fitting selection will dictate how you end up installing them. I interupted the return line from the stock cooler, installed his coolers in series.
I would also like to see the numbers on the cooling capcity. 4x over turbo S coolers, and 2x over Cargraphic cooler are big numbers. This would mean that since my car runs with a Cargraphic cooler and the temps are at 8 o'clock on a race track (7:30 on the street) that this configuration discussed here would be running somewhere around 7 o'clock or 6 o'clock (or lowest mark on the guage) at the hottest, right?
Old 11-26-2004, 11:48 PM
jayster
Instructor

Default fuzzy logic or guesstimations?

I arrive at these approximations by comparing surface area and the number of cooling rows . The turbo s cooler is small , roughly half the size of my coolers, I run a pair . The cargraphic set up is two of the turbo s coolers. This is where I draw my conclusion. Thanks for the interest.
Jay Putnam
Attached Images   

Last edited by jayster; 11-27-2004 at 12:04 AM. Reason: picture
Old 11-27-2004, 12:07 AM
kary993
Drifting

I arrive at these approximations by comparing surface area and the number of cooling rows . The turbo s cooler is small , roughly half the size of my coolers, I run a pair . The cargraphic set up is two of the turbo s coolers. This is where I draw my conclusion. Thanks for the interest.
Jay Putnam
Jay, your calculations seem fine to me if size of the cooler were the only factor. The real issue is not the number of rows an oil cooler has, but rather the air flow in and ability to get the hot air out once it passes through the cooler.

If I understand the configuration correctly, you are putting a cooler of your sizing on each side, up in front near the front splitter openings(not brake ducts), correct? If this is correct then won't the escaping hot air on the right side just go to the existing stock 993 cooler thus degrading it's performance? Or am I missing something in the configuration? Would this not be the same case for the AC side (left side) as well, that is, not degrading oil temperature cooling, but degrading AC efficencies like the other designs?
Old 11-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

kary.... methinks you're getting to the heart of the matter......if you want to get technical, to compare the efficiency of the designs, the REAL important issue is delta T, the change in temperature of the return oil......obviously jay's approach of adding as much frontal cooling area as possible will do the trick, but i think the factory has determined that , given the need to also provide water cooling in the limited space available, the parallel set up results in comparable temperature drop....
Old 11-27-2004, 10:32 AM
jayster
Instructor

Default excellent points

You are both correct, I am touting capacity, not necessarily utilization of it. The proof of course would be "actual" temp drop, as opposed to "theorized potential"...
However, this approach requires contemplating near endless variables...
To address degrading the efficiency of the condensor and/ or the primary oil cooler, certainly it has to, to a degree, but thus far it has had nearly an undetectable effect.
The car is not water cooled, so radiators dont factor here, but a footnote to this is, the factory thinks," Cool drivers are cooler than cool coolant" ( couldnt help myself ) as both condensors on a 996TT are in front of the rads....
As far as preheating the primary oil cooler, the cooler behind the aux. cooler has allready "seen" the oil so I think the effect would be negated (re/preheating) as the longer it travels in the cooling tract the "cooler" it gets...
As far as A/C effect goes, the "Guinea Pig" doesnt seem to think it bothers it that much. We will see after his second Summer in the car!
Again thanks for the interest, feedback AND constructive input (would have been helpful with this project during it's gestation, ha!).
I have some 993TT, and 996TT ideas on the chalkboard I should run by you guys
during the RnD phase.......
Peace, Jay Putnam
a.k.a "Jayster"
Old 11-27-2004, 01:50 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jauder & especially Jay,

I'll have to e-mail Mike, otherwise I'll never see them photos...

I think I will do about the half (at this point) what you've done with mike's TT.

I have Mocal 235, 16 row cooler and will install it on passeneger side.
If this doesn't cool enough next summer at track, I'll add another in front of the driver's side.

I have pretty good temperature data from my previous runs at Sebring, Homestead & Moroso and I will compare those to next summer's temperatures when i have additional cooler.

I'm also thinking about doing air openings on both sides of the front bumper (for better air flow) since I believe the air flow might need some improving (even in stock set-up) especially since I have brake ducts that restrict airflow a bit.

BTW, that mesh looks great. I might have to buy one if I do those extra openings.

Quick Reply: Installing additional oil cooler, which oil line is..?