993 Forum 1995-1998

Porsche battery charger use

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 11:30 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Porsche battery charger use

I just purchased a Porsche battery maintainer that, as you probably know, works through the cigarette lighter.

Reading the instructions, it says to plug the cigarette lighter end in first, then the transformer end into the wall socket. For removal, it instructs you to reverse the process, removing the transformer from the wall then the plug from the cigarette lighter.

Is this what other owners of this product do? I was imagining simply pulling into the garage and plugging in, leaving the transformer end plugged in all the time. Is there any problem with doing it that way?

Also, what have you found to be the best way to route the wire into the car?

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2004, 11:45 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

John

I've used the same maintainer for years. Makes no difference electrically which end gets plugged in first or unplugged. Red led light in the transformer when on indicates voltage is being supplied to the car's bus. It may stay on for several days at first.

The cord to the cig lighter can go between the door and body. Plenty of gap there and will not squish the cord or mark up the door seal.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:46 AM
perrys7342
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always removed the cigarette lighter inset first, then the wall unit. I really don't think it matters too much if you leave it plugged into the wall receptable for a short period; the power charging lite does not go on until plugged into the lighter anyway. However, I think for extended dormant periods, it's best to remove from the wall. If it's still warm to the touch, remove it.

The wire is very long, I just leave the drivers window down about 1 inch and feed the wire through.

Incidentally, this is not the best maintainer charger available...I have 4 different types, and the one that is the best is from Griot's Garage...not a cigarette receptable, however, but either direct connect to the battery or clip-on. Much superior readout with lights for on, charging, or maintaining interval.

Perry (42 Years of Porsche Ownership)
Old 08-28-2004, 04:07 PM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From a safety standpoint, instructions will always tell you to unplug at the wall first. If it's still plugged in and the cigarette lighter end contacts metal properly ....it can still be live.....
Old 08-28-2004, 04:54 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

In reality it probably doesn't matter but any electrical device should be fully in tact (put together in the case of detachable power cords) before plugging it into the live current. This is to prevent possible transient spikes affecting the device. I was religious with mine until about a month ago and then started unplugging the cigarette end first if it was more convenient. I still wouldn't do that with a laptop or a cell phone.

Al
Old 08-29-2004, 09:49 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How about attach a small switch close to the cigarette end and just leave the transformer plugged to the outlet.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:58 AM
Blizzard
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always just unplugged fron the car. No problems.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:35 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

So let me get his straight...the battery maintainer is basically a battery charger and needs to be unplugged after the "charge" is completed? I was under the impression, when say storing for the winter, it would be plugged in for the entire period(?).
Old 08-30-2004, 10:58 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Arrwin,

The Porsche "Maintainer" is excatly that. It will provide voltage and current to the car's electrical bus and the storage battery on a "as needed" basis to maintain the correct battery voltage.

It can be left plugged in permanently 24/7, 365 days a year. Unless you driving your baby, in which case you'll need a longer cord.

I leave mine plugged in all winter and during the summer if the car is not driven for more than a week.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:07 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike cap
Arrwin,

The Porsche "Maintainer" is excatly that. It will provide voltage and current to the car's electrical bus and the storage battery on a "as needed" basis to maintain the correct battery voltage.

It can be left plugged in permanently 24/7, 365 days a year. Unless you driving your baby, in which case you'll need a longer cord.

I leave mine plugged in all winter and during the summer if the car is not driven for more than a week.
Gotcha...thanks Mike. The Maintainer is sold with or w/o the clamps. What are the clamps used for? Recommended?

If anyone is looking for one...they're on sale @ Suncoast for $55. A good deal....I think...

Battery Maintainer on Sale @ Suncoast - $55
Old 08-30-2004, 11:25 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

hn,

Wouln't that be overkill???

Al
Old 08-30-2004, 11:33 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Arrwin,

The Porsche OEM Maintainer plugs into the cig lighter. Very convenient to use. Clamps would be for direct battery hookup.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:46 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Arrwin,

The Porsche OEM Maintainer plugs into the cig lighter. Very convenient to use. Clamps would be for direct battery hookup.
Thanks Mike! Once again. That saves me $15.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:05 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Arrwin,

You are welcome. BTW are you going to Jamie's event at Watkins Glen in October? I may be able to make it on Tuesday PM. Have to be in Phoenix till Monday.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:17 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Arrwin,

You are welcome. BTW are you going to Jamie's event at Watkins Glen in October? I may be able to make it on Tuesday PM. Have to be in Phoenix till Monday.
Mike,

I was thinking about attending Jamie's event, but I won't be able to register for the DE as I am a novice. Also, since it's a Mon/Tues event i'm not sure I can take off. I do hope to eventually visit/drive Watkins Glen as I heard it was one of the nicest in the East.

Quick Reply: Porsche battery charger use