Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Old Gal/Young thing gets behind the wheel!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 09:05 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Old Gal/Young thing gets behind the wheel!

Yesterday Young thing, is yelling at me the whole way as I am blowing by cars going down hwy 46 back to the 5, "youre going too fast!!"-" you're passing too many people!!" on and on. After I get to bakersfield my back just cant take it any more and I let Young thing get some seat time (longest duration of her young career in the Porsche) now when I got stretches with no traffic i was doing 75-80mph and passing at a little faster speeds. 90-95.

So I put the seat back and try to stretch out. I finally fall asleep and I wake up under sudden acelleration and we are past tehachapi on the cuttoff to hwy 14. We zoom pass five cars and I look over and Young thing is tooling along at close to 120MPH!! Now I am thinking A Real Man would say "WAIT A MINUTE!! YOU just yelled at me awhile ago for doing the same dang thing!!" but is that what I did??!! NOOOooooo, I did what the rest of you all do. I grinned as she slowed back to her cruising speed of 88 (88??!!) and closed my eyes. THATS how I stay married!!
Old 06-07-2004, 09:17 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The last time I fell asleep in a car w/my wife driving I woke up as we bounced across the interstate's grassy median headed for the opposite lanes. We came to a stop on the inside shoulder. Never sleeping while she drives - THAT'S how I stay alive!!
Old 06-07-2004, 09:23 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with OG, go to sleep to keep your sanity!
Old 06-07-2004, 09:27 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 315 Likes on 140 Posts

OG you are one COOL Hubby!
Tell young thing to keep you!!!!!!!

JoAnne
Old 06-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Watch My 6
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm..... I've managed to keep my wife from driving the Porsches for a while now. <Ready for flames although replacing manual transmissions can be very expensive>

She wanted me to get a Tiptronic like her friend's 996 Cab so she could tool around, but I mumbled something about resale value and gas mileage to throw her off! Heh heh... Besides, she's got her 4.4i X5 with plenty of pep and an automatic/steptronic to boot!

However, I still am searching for the secret to being able to drive at greater than legal speed limits with her in the passenger seat without getting an earful... Any suggestions? And, although she looks 10 years younger than me, I can't pull that 'young thang' look with her since she's 4 years my senior

Cheers,

WM6
Old 06-07-2004, 09:45 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
The last time I fell asleep in a car w/my wife driving I woke up as we bounced across the interstate's grassy median headed for the opposite lanes. We came to a stop on the inside shoulder. Never sleeping while she drives - THAT'S how I stay alive!!
I haven't laughed this hard in a long time! was that a P-car?
~Eyal
Old 06-07-2004, 10:01 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Dan in " Martain St Louey" I never said I went back to sleep!!
Mother Superior, She is a purty good driver so I try to encourage
her, she does however have a Porsche right foot!!
Old 06-07-2004, 10:22 PM
lexpilot
Racer

Default Great story OG. A few years back we drove to Colorado...

We did a loop through Arches, Gunnison, Ouray, Telluride, Mesa Verde NP and so on. On the return trip we drove US Hiway 50 "The Loneliest Road" back to Reno. Anyway, I got tired and relinquished the wheel to my wife and promptly fell asleep. This is across the middle of Nevada. When I woke up we were doing about 95 and this was in her Avalon. She says "See that car up ahead about 200 yards ? That is an exempt Nevada plate car and I've been trying to keep him in sight. I didn't know a Chevy Malibu could go that fast. "
This does not keep her from admonishing me on a regular basis if I'm cruising a little too fast, however.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:38 PM
dbgaul
8th Gear

Well, maybe that's why I had my 'squeeze' (not married) along to say "I knew you were going to do that", ah but first I must digress. She actually likes speed, or maybe she is acting that way to impress me...in any case we are blasting down 101 somewhere south of the 'RUMBLE' (a great time that a bunch of you missed-see 'rumble' thread) sucking serious quanities of turbo assisted dead dinosaurs when we come upon a 'cluster f***' of traffic that looks very stange, <except for Mr & Mrs Silver Top Down Boxster> because we are in the middle of a beautiful coast line stretch and the above mentioned 'cluster' is a wad of misc junk cars <and that shiney boxster> jammed up behind two tiny econo boxes; one coppertone and the other white. Lookey here...two drivers on cell phones...who are apparently talking to each other! So, here everyone is together behind two 'f*** wads' who think it's lots of laughs to run a TRAFFIC BREAK on a two lane road and hold everyone behind them! Little by little all the meek and mild milk toast types in front of me probe these two jerk offs to see if coming up behind them will get one of them to speed up or slow down to let the now 10ish cars proceed past them (doing 60 mph). Like two dance partners the two 'f-wads' keep tapping their brake lights to may sure they move as one down the road insuring no one behind them can get around. Now what am I thinking and saying to my 'squeeze'. Naturally, I want my turn at the 'f-wads' and after a bit of polite driving, miles later I am just behind the white 'Sh** Box' and try the basic lame moves: (A) Turn on my headlights...they were <predictable> unimpressed. (B) Flash my high beams (it's 1PM and the sun is blazing) and they were once again very unimpressed. Well, now what? Of course we either have "TTIT" (Typical Teenagers in Trouble), Arab terrorists or an action movie just about to start if the two 'F-wads' begin to slow until they stop and get out with all of us mild and meek types carefully coming to a full stop with no space to move forward, backward or side to side as they walk down both sides of all us stopped in our cars, emptying out their semi automatic weapons into our bodies (ok...I've seen too many action movies, headlines and admit to being upset by that nut case who for the most part did something similar back east on the belt way outside FBI?CIA? Hqtrs awhile ago). My brain is processing all that noise when enough is enough. Now I'm going slow enough to hit an EPA award winning 20mpg. So, third gear sounded about right....and I let my twin hairdryers load up...gave alittle fake nudge to the left from the slow right hand lane...smashed the go peddle and then went hard right on the paved! flat paved shoulder so fast around the turd mobiles and popped out in front of them they never knew what happened until some loose 'marbles' flew up from the shoulder into their windshields. What a shame. That certainly spoiled their fun and the 'party-favor' rocks were just a little parting gift. So, she (my 'sqeeze') said the above words without complaining. Then said "I trust you." Maybe this is why I never got married.....
Regards, from the "Dragon Drainer"
Old 06-08-2004, 12:39 AM
Watch My 6
Addict
Rennlist Member

dbgaul, heh heh, I'm at a loss for words . On the one hand, I can sympathize with you since I grew up in SoCal and know how frustrating the traffic can get . However, I also cringe thinking how other P-Car owners might get a 'bad rap' from your 'loose marble' cannon example.

Call it 'old age' (I'm 42) or sign of the times (so many incidents of road rage), but I find myself mellowing out over the years and just 'grinning and bearing it' when I'm faced with those wrinkle-forming situations... Being in a Porsche makes it much more bearable in my opinion...

Peace,

WM6

Last edited by Watch My 6; 06-08-2004 at 01:23 AM.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:22 AM
hatchy
Racer

Bahahahaha!

Originally posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis

Quick Reply: Old Gal/Young thing gets behind the wheel!