993 Forum 1995-1998

Lifter Repair 101....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 02:47 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Lifter Repair 101....

It's beautiful weather outside - and what could be more fun the rebuilding valve lifters??

As some - if not all, of you recall - I collapsed a valve lifter at a DE last weekend. So - without further delay (as it really takes me a LONG time to work, takes pics - and post - here is "Valve Lifters 101"....

So - say you want to replace your lifters? Hear a clack, clack? Well here's what making the noise. In this post you'll see what a collapsed lifter looks like, what an OLD lifter looks like - and what a NEW lifter looks like.. I just got mine (all 12 - for just under $28/ea. from Tim at Mind Over Motorsports (http://www.mindovermotorsports.com/) and knowing that I wanted them this weekend - they came Saturday delivery!!!

Anyway - since I'm replacing all 12 - it's probably easier to drop the engine. So...

- Step 1 - drop the engine!!

- - -
- -
-
- Step 2 - once it's on the floor, take a minute to clean it up. I'm a little neurotic about opening a dirty engine, and starting with 4-5-6 (right) side, spent a little time taking off grit, grime and crap (look at the heat exchanger or lower cover for a comparision).

Here is where I started, with the right side engine tin removed:

And after a bit - I got it to the point I felt comfortable taking off the vavle covers without crap falling into the rockers/valves. So, my advice is - take a while to do it right...

- - -
- -
-
- Step 3 - remove the valve covers. Under the PS pump is a pain without the right tools, so here I use a 5mm allen key with a 1/4" socket/extension for leverage. When you unscrew these - use increasing pressure - and they come right out. Try to give one huge TUG - you run the risk of snapping them.

Since that bolt is off center to unscrew, a ball-headed 5mm driver works great! So - now - remove the rest of the cover bolts

- - -
- -
-
- Step 4 - Remove the valve cover. After being on for a long time, some appear to be "welded" into place. Take a rubber mallet - and tap GENTLY on the top right corner of the cover and bottom left. It will move. Next - in the #6 spark plug hole (it's the best for leverage), prise the valve cover off:

(continued next post.....)
Old 06-05-2004, 02:48 PM
John D.
Banned

- Step 5 - Remove the rocker shaft. By unscrewing the two bolts - the rocker shaft will come loose. I started with Intake #4, as that lifter had collapsed and the rocker was easily detected as having way to much play...

Here is a picture of a new lifter - to compare what you will see in the next photos:

Pull the lifter from the end of the rocker. That this one is collapsed - the seal was vaporized and the top protrusion was battered into the lifter body:

And a comparision - old to new lifter. Notice the overall length difference....

- - -
- -
-
Step 6 - now is a great time to inspect the cam lobes, the rocker pad and the shaft bearing surfaces. Mine are in great shape..

I thought this was an interesting comparision shot. Top lifter - collapsed. Center - old lifter with a split seal. Bottom - new lifter...

- - -
- -
-
Step 7 - button it back up and torque the rocker shaft bolts to 10ft/lbs

- - -
- -
-
Step 8 - go to the next rocker (and you may want to turn the engine crank a bit if the next rocker is on cam..)..

Repeat for all 12......
Old 06-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,

You make it look pretty easy! I would take me a week to do the same

Rob
Old 06-05-2004, 03:07 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Great thread John!

Thanks for posting the pictures of the good, the bad and the ugly lifters

Good resource for the future!
Old 06-05-2004, 03:29 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, how many miles are currently on that engine? Was it abused to have the lifters in that condition, or is that common wear for high mileage?
Old 06-05-2004, 03:37 PM
Agro1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've been a busy guy, John...Nice work. BTW, do 993 lifters just wear out over time, or was it as a result of something else ?
Old 06-05-2004, 04:31 PM
John D.
Banned

Hey folks..!

thanks for the comments..!! Just finished up the right upper/lower - and about to finish up the left (which should be easier, as that side lower valve cover I had off a week ago - and it's clean! )

Anyway - Red/Agro1...

Great questions! In my case, the engine has 120K miles on it. I don't think it was "abused" by the PO - rather, just "neglected" (which is it's own form of abuse). In other words - it sat for months at a time without even being started/driven. My guess, in this case - it's both the fact that the PO probably neglected oil changes and intermittently drove the car. That - coupled with me stressing it at the track (I think Steve W. and ViberBob are spot on in the other post, about oil changes and oil temps) - that the old lifters just "gave out. It's interesting, in the photo above, that the new lifters have - what would appear - as an improved sealing ring.

After pulling the rest of the right side - only #4 intake was collapsed. I suspect, based on what I heard when I drove home after the event - that I'll find the #2 exhaust gone as well....

So - yes and no.. No, I think they are sturdier then what you see in my case, given good mainteniance and normal oil changes - and no - I know it didn't help it when I ran back-to-back at the track... If I didn't run at the track, my guess would be I'd still be running on the old lifters..???

Best to you!

John
Old 06-05-2004, 04:50 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

John,
I'm sitting here at work......all the SOCAL rumblers have left for the big BBQ.....and I'm thinkin' "John needs some more help"
so.......While you have the engine out, you ought to just pop This in.

Old 06-05-2004, 04:53 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post John. Could you tell me in a little more detail how to tell that one has collapsed? I am getting paranoid now!
Old 06-05-2004, 06:12 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally posted by Phil McGrath
John,
I'm sitting here at work......all the SOCAL rumblers have left for the big BBQ.....and I'm thinkin' "John needs some more help"
so.......While you have the engine out, you ought to just pop This in.

_________

Get behind thee Satan...!!!! You are Always such a BIG help!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by GabiOsz
Great post John. Could you tell me in a little more detail how to tell that one has collapsed? I am getting paranoid now!
Hey Gabi..!!!

Honestly - you'll know it immediately... Your engine will start "clicking" very loudly.. With a collapsed lifter, my guess is that that are several mm of movement, so when it's "gone" - it will make a distinctive "rapping" sound. Mine collapsed during the last session - and I knew it almost immediately from both the sound and the car felt "different" on power... So - when I pitted - I shut it down, let it cool and re-started at idle. With a lifter gone - like mine - you'll know it when you hear it..?? It sort of sounds like a penny in a tin-can - if you know what I mean???

Best to you!!

John
Old 06-05-2004, 06:32 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 474 Posts

John,
Great write up! I may never have to do the same job but this type of post inspires me to tackle DIY's in general. I know there is much that can be accomplished with the engine out and I think that the day may come when I will need/want to tackle the job, this will help to that end. Good luck.

Jamie
Old 06-05-2004, 08:23 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Great post John, Thanks!
Old 06-05-2004, 08:54 PM
CentralCoastC4S
Instructor

John, thanks for the great write-up and all the photos, it takes extra time to stop and photograph what you're doing.... very helpful.

I remember when the local dealership had the introduction of the 993 for all of us in the local Porsche club, the car they brought in lost a lifter on the drive down from San Francisco. I watched the technicians do a rapid replacement (lifter flown in overnight) with the car up in the air and just the exhaust valve cover off. I suppose if one were inclined to not remove the engine you probably could replace all of the lifters but you'd have to be a masochist....

Thanks again.

Bruce
Old 06-05-2004, 10:07 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally posted by CentralCoastC4S
John, thanks for the great write-up and all the photos, it takes extra time to stop and photograph what you're doing.... very helpful.

..... I suppose if one were inclined to not remove the engine you probably could replace all of the lifters but you'd have to be a masochist....
Hi Bruce, Jamie, Bill and folks..!!!

Aww - my pleasure... I really enjoy working on these - and yep - you are probably right - I considered doing this while the engine stayed in the car. Honestly, though - I'm glad I pulled it, as it gives me the chance to really go through it - and make some silly "upgrades"

On that note - and to my point of pulling it.. When I was doing the left side top earlier today - I noticed some insulation that appeared like a rodent had been working away in years past (it was VERY OLD!). Knowing the PO really didn't care about the car - my "radar" went on "high"... So - when I finished the lifters, had some dinner - I pulled the alternator to peek inside the top of the left bank cooling fins.....

Ready?????

It's not for the feint of heart.......

Sooo - I'm pulling the top tomorrow while Alfie does his suspension.......

Best to you!!

John
Old 06-05-2004, 10:13 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 53 Posts

Yikes!! i think we now know where the chestnut stasher lived!

Last edited by max911; 06-05-2004 at 11:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Lifter Repair 101....