993 Forum 1995-1998

Convertible Top Problem - Solved!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 01:35 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey John,
Those are nasty! Did your top even work?
Let me know if you want to meet up sometime. I just moved from Warrington to New Britian, so not to far from you.
-Shawn
Old 09-15-2013, 12:40 AM
J4yDubs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swmic
Those are nasty! Did your top even work?
Amazingly enough, yes. It was starting to get intermittent though, so that's why I pulled the control (based on your thread). It worked today after I put it back it, so hopefully that was the problem.

Originally Posted by swmic
Let me know if you want to meet up sometime. I just moved from Warrington to New Britian, so not to far from you.
I'm not sure I can meet up with you. Arena red is my favorite color and I might regret my decision to go with black (second favorite, but had to jump on it when I found it). Kidding. We'll definitely have to meet up some time.

I'll be up your way tomorrow morning, kayaking on Lake Galena, then over to Barness Park for my sons Lacrosse. I have to take the Durango though. The kayak doesn't fit to well on the 993 cab.

John
Old 11-11-2013, 02:26 PM
jmgdm
7th Gear

Originally Posted by 4X4SCHE
Who needs an electric top?
When I had a BMW 328 convertible.... rather than pay $1200 for a new controller, I converted it to manual operation using the parts from the european model. I threw away ten pounds of motors, wiring loom, switches and other junk. Suggest you look into whether this can be done. I bought a 993 coupe because I didn't want the problems you are now having.

Hi!

rescue this old post to ask about the warning light: i also made that conversion but since then, the warning light remains on with the top fully open

i checked the rear switch, but if you make it contact for the light to turn off, then the front engines do not work and can´t attach the top to the windshield frame...

so, i have tried to find some electrical scheme but can´t find anything...

has anyone solved this?

thanks in advance to all of you
jm
Old 05-23-2014, 04:19 PM
LJ993
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too have been having issues with my cab top. It would sometimes not close properly or lock. If I pushed on the cab ecu, under the dash, it would sometimes fix the issue. I finally pulled the cab ecu out, what a pain the tail. I had to have my wife crawl up under the dash to get it out. Anyway, pulled it out and sure enough, the cold solder joints were toast, virtually everyone along the plug in connectors. I will fix the joint and reinstall and report back. thanks for the info on this, saved $700 not buying a new ecu. Phil

96 cab, black on black on black
Old 05-25-2014, 03:23 PM
nigebirch
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by LJ993
I too have been having issues with my cab top. It would sometimes not close properly or lock. If I pushed on the cab ecu, under the dash, it would sometimes fix the issue. I finally pulled the cab ecu out, what a pain the tail. I had to have my wife crawl up under the dash to get it out. Anyway, pulled it out and sure enough, the cold solder joints were toast, virtually everyone along the plug in connectors. I will fix the joint and reinstall and report back. thanks for the info on this, saved $700 not buying a new ecu. Phil
Hi, Phil,

I'm anxious to know how it turns out. Please post a few photos if you can.

Thanx,

Dorrin
Old 09-09-2014, 05:02 AM
KeinWasser
AutoX

My ECU solder joints look okay, but I'll add some solder to any suspect joints and give it a try. If that doesn't work, any other suggestions for a stalling top? Also, I noticed only one plastic nut was holding the VDO box and the ECU box under the dash - does anyone know if these plastic nuts are a dealer-stocked item?
Thanks, Tim

Old 02-27-2015, 02:49 PM
PNW_Boxer993
Track Day

Default Second opinion on condition of board???

Love this thread!!! I have a similar problem, and its intermittent... I pulled the board (pic below)... Does not appear to be solder issues - hoping to get a second opinion from fellow posters... Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2015, 11:49 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,018 Posts

From looking at the controller it seems that it could be completely rebuilt if needed as the relays look to be of a standard design.
Andy
Old 02-28-2015, 07:50 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Check it out as good as it gets

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...tructions.html
Old 02-28-2015, 08:55 PM
PNW_Boxer993
Track Day

Default Update

Since I had the ECU out, I hit the suspect solder points. It seemed to have helped, as the top started to close, then noise from transmissions stopped the forward progress. Ripping out back seats and cover this weekend! Wish me luck! Tony
Old 03-03-2015, 09:03 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Hope it works. You can't always see a cold solder joint.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:56 PM
morchip
1st Gear

would you recommend checking the module considering top is stuck half way open but when you push the switch in the open or close position you can hear the motor run?
Old 11-15-2020, 08:29 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by morchip
would you recommend checking the module considering top is stuck half way open but when you push the switch in the open or close position you can hear the motor run?
Read here under Porsche/Cab Top for a basic testing guide; https://www.systemsc.com/problems.htm
Old 11-16-2020, 01:23 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by morchip
IMHO, this would be a great time to convert to a manual top.

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Problem - Solved!!