Sponsored by: DashLynx

A/C Doesn't make me cool anymore

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 10:23 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Randall, I tried to PM you but your inbox is full.

~MIke
Old 05-28-2004, 10:36 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mike,

Yeah, I got the "bounced" PM e-mail notice. But, there's nothin' in my inbox (or sent box) to delete--it's completely empty. I've been getting these messages for a long time, when I've had only 1 or 2 items in my PM boxes. So, I emptied the whole thing, still getting the notices. I just e-mailed John D., maybe he can tell me what's up?

You can e-mail me directly at rgranaas@***.net .
Old 05-29-2004, 12:15 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It still say full Randall. I'll just post:

Randall,

I'm sorry I don't understand something here.

-If I jumper 85 and 85C will that have the same effect on both the fans as my jumper on 87 and 87C?

-If it is the same effect, jumping 85/85C will use way less currnt, right?

-Did you externally jump 85/85C or 87/87C?

Thanks again
Old 05-29-2004, 03:12 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Mike,

>If I jumper 85 and 85C will that have the same effect on both the fans as my jumper on 87 and 87C?

Absolutely!

>If it is the same effect, jumping 85/85C will use way less currnt, right?

Much less current passing through the jumper. By about a factor of 100 (0.15A, instead of 15A or so).

>-Did you externally jump 85/85C or 87/87C?

85 to 85c. If you look closely at my photo, then look at the relay plugs, you'll see the jumper is going from #1 to #6.

Talk to ya' soon.....
Old 05-29-2004, 08:33 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Randall,

Gotcha! Thank you sir!

~Mike
Old 05-29-2004, 11:08 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

After having read this thread, you guys are going to probably have a less
effective AC system than when you started and with potentially damaged
costly components. You need to have it done professionally by:

1. properly bleeding & purging the system
2. adding (properly) the correct oil & amount
3. using both high & low pressure gauges
4. not mixing R12 & R134
5. not jumping incorrectly the fans which DON'T need to altered
if the system is functioning properly
6. checking the system for freon leaks

Some things can be done on the 964 as DIY, but NOT the AC system,
especially when fooling with the gases and pressures. The 964 has
a great AC system to begin with and doesn't need to be modified or
incorrectly serviced.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:36 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Lorenfb
After having read this thread, you guys are going to probably have a less
effective AC system than when you started and with potentially damaged
costly components. You need to have it done professionally by:

1. properly bleeding & purging the system
2. adding (properly) the correct oil & amount
3. using both high & low pressure gauges
4. not mixing R12 & R134
6. checking the system for freon leaks

Some things can be done on the 964 as DIY, but NOT the AC system,
especially when fooling with the gases and pressures. The 964 has
a great AC system to begin with and doesn't need to be modified or
incorrectly serviced.
Sorry Loren,

But I work on multi million dollar naval aircraft for 18 years now. I specialized in Hydraulic Systems and Flight Control surfaces and have collateral on Environmental/Presurization Systems. I release aircraft -Safe for Flight- to pilots ensuring 32 people on board arrived to their destination safely specially landing on 200 foot carrier pitching and rolling in the dark. Porsche system that we're working on here is not even a 10th as complicated compared to the systems I ensure works on my aircraft. Thanks for your input, but I'm not spending $200 to have somebody do it and not put the quality I ensure will be there.
Old 05-29-2004, 02:38 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Lorenfb

The 964 has a great AC system to begin with and doesn't need to be modified or incorrectly serviced.
Okay, I'll bite. What modification has been described in this thread, other than installing a jumper to compensate for a failed ballast resistor/inoperable slow-speed condenser fan? What could be the downside of having the fan run faster (more cooling air across the condenser), other than more noise & current? Most people will kill to get better cooling of their condenser.
Old 05-29-2004, 04:05 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Randall,

Doh! I did jumper 85 and 85C! I got it right the first time I opened the relay to removed my jumper(which I thought 87/87C), looked at the bottom of the relay to look at terminal numbers, and sure enough, I jumpered 85/85C.

I am set to go! I should get my new Ballast resistors next week and will install them. I already got the one from the a/c fan side off...what a PITA.

You are wealth of knowledge. I saw all your write up at http://p-car.com/diy/fan/ What a contribution! You're genuine enthusiasts.

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 05-29-2004 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:52 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Mike,

>I am set to go! I should get my new Ballast resistors next week and will install them. I already got the one from the a/c fan side off...

Guess that means you'll be removing your 85/85c jumper, once you've installed the new resistor? As you know, no point reinstalling the resistor, if you're going to leave the jumper installed--your fan will never run in slow-speed.

>...what a PITA.

LOL! That's why I just installed the jumper, and was done with it. Better yet, there's no chance I'll have to replace the resistor again, 5 or 10 years down the road. On the other hand, I can understand people who would rather replace the resistor, so everything remains as delivered from Porsche.

>You are wealth of knowledge. I saw all your write up at http://p-car.com/diy/fan/ What a contribution! You're genuine enthusiasts.

Thanks for the kind words!
Old 06-06-2004, 01:33 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Question

Randall,

Hi, I just installed a brand new ballast resistor, and removed the jumper modification from the relay. The a/c fan will not still run in slow speed! What do you think is the problem???

The A/C cools real good. It's just the slow fan speed still inop. So, I'm putting the jumper back on the relay to keep the fan(fast speed) going for now.

Thanks
~Sent you a PM but your inbox is full.

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 06-06-2004 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Wonder how Ben lowered his system pressure without making an unmanageable mess?
LOL - it made a tremendous mess! I just pressed in the check valve and let 'er rip. Did it in a series of short bursts and wiped up the mess after each release. When done I thoroughly wiped up the area in the engine bay and then washed the car. Honestly it wasn't clear to me that the proper oil/freon ratio would be maintained by doing it this way - I think I'll have it evacuated and refilled soon.

I still get a groaning sound when the compressor engages - not real loud and teh AC is very cold - but I'm wondering if my compressor bearings are giving up....

I also took a look at the evaporator from the dash with the CCU pulled out - it's filthy! That can't be very good for the system. Any 'easy' ways to clean all the dust and grime off? A vacuum cleaner with the long nozzle extension was worthless.

Randall - I second Mike's comments about your AC guru status - and what's up with that Loren guy?

Ben
Old 06-07-2004, 02:13 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike....does the slow-speed fan run with the jumper test (relay removed)? If not, I suspect something isn't connected correctly, or there's a break in the wire.

Your CCU is sending the proper start-signal, or else the fast-speed jumper wouldn't work. It's possible the slow-speed power contact/coil on your relay has failed. Try swapping it with the oil cooler relay, and see if that helps.

About a week ago, I e-mailed John D. about my P.M. box, haven't heard back from him. John D., are you there? My P.M. box (all folders) is empty, but I can't receive private messages.

Ben....I suspect your compressor is wearing out. It was making the sound before you charged the system yourself, wasn't it? Is the groan proportional to engine speed?

I don't have any great suggestions on how to clean the evaporator. I'm afraid to look at mine.

Loren knows a lot about these cars. And, I will acknowledge that you should only play with the A/C system at your own risk (obviously, I believe you can top-off the system without enlisting the help of a pro). Though, about a week ago, I was following some threads on the 911 board. Appeared to me that Loren has almost reached pariah status, apparently because of a history of doomsday posts.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:17 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Err...that's me above. Arjan is visiting from the Netherlands, and had logged himself on to my computer.

Old 06-07-2004, 08:10 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Randall,

Thanks again. Yeah, with the brand new ballast resistor connected, jumper on the relay removed, the fan still wont run in slow speed. When I jump 5 and 7 on the relay plug, slow speed functions. I didn't try the oil cooler relay 'cause it still has the jumper. I'll remove that later and swap them to check.

Quick Reply: A/C Doesn't make me cool anymore