993 Forum 1995-1998

Who has DIY'ed Bilstein HD install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 05:35 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Who has DIY'ed Bilstein HD install?

Just came into the cash for some upgrades and I'm leaning heavily toward Bilstein HD's, as my car is 95% street, 5% track. Stock shocks have 41k miles on them and H&R springs. Ride is a little spongy.

How bad is this job? P-car.com article looks a little daunting. Rear shocks install on my old Carrera was easier than an oil change, but I know I'm in for a job on the 993. Luckily, my trusted alignment shop is only 6 miles from my house.

Someone build up my confidence, please.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:42 PM
thevenet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bilsteins

Rick - My HDs and RoWs are still sitting in my basement so I can't provide any feedback on the job. I'm supposed to have a dealership mechanic do my job on the side, but he's taking his sweet time to set it up. Let me know if you intend to tackle this, maybe we can work together. Who do you use for alignments?
Old 05-04-2004, 05:43 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

It's actually very easy.. Nope - not as easy as my '87 911 (or your '87) - but it's not bad at all. What info are you looking for?
Old 05-04-2004, 05:47 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I just want to know that this is not some nightmare job and that a reasonably able DIY'er can handle it in one day without going crazy.

Phil, I'm looking at sometime in June.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:54 PM
David in Chicago
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gert's site has comprehensive instructions with pictures.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:54 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally posted by Rick Lee
Thanks. I just want to know that this is not some nightmare job and that a reasonably able DIY'er can handle it in one day without going crazy. ...
OK - fronts are about 1.5 hours together. The rears are about 2.5 hours - IF YOU have the right tools on hand... Where you are changing springs, have a spring compressor handy. Also - I have a really OLD spring compressor - and setting THAT up takes more time then actually USING it to compress the springs..!

Also - don't crack the brake lines - and save yourself some time by not having to bleed the brakes (cut the line mount - on the old shock, cut it with snippers. On the new mount - take a Dremel tool and cut from the side just the width of the hard line). Also - order yourself the clips for the wire attachments - the old ones are a PIA to get off without breaking (they have a "push lock pin" from the rear you push out from the shock side)....

Best to you....

John
Old 05-04-2004, 05:57 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok, that leads to my next question. Do I need to keep my H&R's to keep my car low, or do the HD's have springs and are they adjustable?
Old 05-04-2004, 05:59 PM
John D.
Banned

You need to transfer the H&Rs to the HDs. It's the PSS9s that have the dedicated springs and adj. "ride" settings (firm to soft in increments). With the HD mount system - yes - you can corner balance or lower as well, to the degree that the spring collars let you...
Old 05-04-2004, 06:01 PM
Agro1
Banned

Rick - correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you drop your tranny WITHOUT a lift in your garage ?? I'd think if you can accomplish that and walk away from it with out a scratch you can do a suspension change NO PROB. Go for it man..
Old 05-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nope, wasn't me. I've done it all with the Carrera, but am still a drivetrain-drop virgin with the 993. Engine and tranny will come out later this summer just for fun. Worst job I EVER did in my life was spring plates and trailing arm bushings on the Carrera. Gawd, I still get mad thinking about that. Engine drops are down to under two hours now with no lift.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:21 PM
Agro1
Banned

Still man - if you can do that, the suspension swap will be a breeze...
Old 05-04-2004, 06:26 PM
John D.
Banned

Agree with Agro1 100%. It may look complicated in the write-ups - but it's pretty straight-forward once you get in there... I'll be doing Alfie's HD/Eibach upgrade when he has time to come by and "turn a wrench". As for me - I'll be holding down the lid of the beer cooler with my butt - and shouting instructions...

Seriously - if you need help - or get stuck - I can give you my cell phone # just in case when you are ready to do it?
Old 05-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

hmmmm, If I bring more beer than your cooler holds, and your butt can no longer hold it closed, does that mean you will at least get up to ensure that I am turning the correct hammer...ooops, i mean wrench, in the right place? Now Im nervous...
Old 05-04-2004, 06:30 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just what I needed guys. I'll be ordering the kit soon and will begin my serious research, tool collecting and garage booking.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:33 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally posted by Alfie
hmmmm, If I bring more beer than your cooler holds, and your butt can no longer hold it closed, does that mean you .....
No - it only means I have to drink faster before it gets warm Seriously - if you want to use a hammer - it's your car....

Quick Reply: Who has DIY'ed Bilstein HD install?