993 Forum 1995-1998

Moton or JRZ, Double or triple adjustable or clubsport

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Ryan Perrella
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Moton or JRZ, Double or triple adjustable or clubsport

I am looking for feedback on the optimum setup for a pre 1990 911 with coil over suspension and a 993 rear multilink rear suspension system.

I am looking for something with a very nice street ride, that can easily be adjusted for track events and full on racing. I am interested ina fully adjustable setup, dampers, springs, rollbars and such.

However I have decided to go with the JRZ or Moton suspension with the remote resivior units in their double and triple adjustable units. I would imagine that with a triple adjustale unit where i could adjust low speed damping independently from highspeed damping that that would actually be ideal for a fast street car that could maintain a good ride when not on a track.

I believe that teh triple adjustable setups are between 100 and 200 more than the double adjustable setups.

Also i have been told that Moton and JRZ are very similiar units if not the same. Anyone have experience with these and what is preferable for a mostly street car that could be simply "adjusted" for race and track use.

I prefer Moton simply for the name but what are teh differences if any? I believe they are very closely priced as well.

Ryan
Old 03-17-2004, 03:40 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Ryan,

I'm going through the same questions you are. Not 100% sure I'll even do it, but if I do, I'll go with the Moton Club Sports. I was told that the full-on race shocks and slightly lighter weight of the pro shocks was much more than I needed at my experience level, and that the double adjustables would give me plenty of flexibility to grow with.

The steel bodied Club Sports weight two pounds more than their alloy bodied brethren and have seven, instead of fourteen, adjustments.

I've also heard that Moton's customer service and reliability are better than JRZ's, but a few racers have also had no problems with their JRZ suspensions. A respected name on this board said that if the Club Sports were available when he got started, he would have gone with them.

I will say that being able to drive your car on the street, with a desire to keep a nice ride, and being able to club race your car seem mutually exclusive with a $6,000+ triple adjustable suspension. Pretty tall order. From what I understand, if you're going to race your car and want your equipment to be competitive, you'll have to sacrifice street comfort for a less rubbery, more precise connection to the pavement. It seems a waste to buy the most expensive pro suspension and not have the proper, ride-killing monoballs, carrier mounts, links, etc. to make full use of the triple adjustability. Of course, if that money's burning a huge hole in your pocket, go for it!

I only have PSS-9's on my car and I rarely drive it on the street, not because it rides too roughly, but because I'm trying to keep the wear off of the track tires. It's cheaper to not drive the car than it is to get another set of wheels and tires just so I can occasionally drive it on the street.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:27 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I have the Moton Clubsports and they are double adjustable. List price for these are now around $3200. The triple adjustables are only available on the Motorsports models, which run around $7K. Really nice units, but not worth it unles you are REALLY serious.

The Motons are a much more durable shock. They are also eating JRZs lunch in the market right now. JRZs just require a lot of rebuilding. They never have been able to make them so this does not happen. You really do not want this on a street car. My car is also used mainly for street BTW...
Old 03-17-2004, 08:37 PM
kary993
Drifting

My feeling on these highly adjustable units is this. You had better be able to drive to the limits of the adjustability to get anything out of them and you had better be good at or have someone who is good at adjusting your suspension to be able to take advantage of them. First hand experience of watching teams set up cars with highly adjustable suspensions was difficult at best even with telemetry about everything in the car including suspension travel. For most of us our ability to drive to that level is really the limiting factor. The next one is changing the adjustability of the suspension in the wrong direction only to make the car perform worse.

I do not mean to be negative here but something as simple as the PSS9's are enough for most people.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Ryan Perrella
Advanced

Karry

I would agree with you but the application i am looking for is for a 1987 911 with coil overs to replace torsion bars and the PSS9's arent available for that car
Old 03-17-2004, 09:00 PM
Ryan Perrella
Advanced

viperbob

are the clubsport dampers that are double adjustable do those have a remote r?
Old 03-17-2004, 09:00 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

What about H&R? Do they make a coilover kit for your car? What about other Bilstein shocks like the RSR's?

The Motons are the way to go but may be overkill for your car if you are not doing serious track duty.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:04 PM
Ryan Perrella
Advanced

I honestly done mind the money.

I am putting allot of money into the car and wether the dampers are 3K or 6K which would be double the cost it is not a concren asit wont affect the over all budget of teh car much at all at this point. I would like the best available.

I have contacted Knoi and they dont make anything adjustable like this.

I do like the triple adjustable units as they dont require teh high srping rates which could be softer yet still have afirm setup for the street with out being too stiff.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:39 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

If money is no object just do the Moton Pro-grade shocks.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:08 PM
kary993
Drifting

Ryan,

I was merely suggesting that the PSS9's are more than most need in terms of adjustability. You have many other options for your model car that suit the car capabilities better than Moton's would. It just seems like what you are trying to do is over kill, but hey, its your money! Let's us know what you end up doing and tell us how is handles when you get to the track with it.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:21 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ryan,

I have the JRZ's on my track car and they're great for Club Racing, but I can't imagine ever putting something like this on a street car. I'm lucky to have a mechanic who knows how to set things up pretty well, and I change the firmness a bit depending on the track, but I'd hate to try to tune and tweak them on a regular basis. Switching them between street and track "modes" would be a royal PITA.

As for the 3-ways not requiring stiffer springs claim, I'm not sure that I would believe that. Springs and shocks do different things, and it seems unlikely that one is going to compensate for the other like that. A full-out race car will typically require very stiff springs, and I can assure you from personal experience that you'd hate such a car on the street as it would beat you to death.

Bob, Kary, and others are giving you good advice based on real-world experience, and can help spare you some trouble and pain, even if cost is no object. If you do go the full-on race suspension route, just be prepared to end up with a full-on race car that won't be much good on the street.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:13 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Ryan:

If I may offer some suggestions and assistance,...

The main differences between Moton and JRZ lies with the quality of the execution of these excellent products. IMHO, Moton's are head & shoulders above JRZ and Moton's factory support is second to none. This is just one reason why we use these.

After carefully reading what you want and how you plan to use your car, I'd suggest the Moton Clubsport double adjustable, remote reserviour shocks as an excellent cost-effective solution to your needs. You can read more at http://www.rennsportsystems.com/Moton.html.

The double and triple adjustable race shocks are primarily aimed at the dedicated race car, however any of these shocks can be configured and setup for street usage.

Lastly, Moton & JRZ only supply the shocks; its up to the vendor-supplier to choose and configure the spring package to your needs and usage as well as assist you in getting them adjusted to work properly. This is a VERY critical part of the overall success and operation of this suspension upgrade.

All things being equal, a set of Moton's (or JRZ's) will be 3-6 seconds per lap quicker than anything else if properly setup and adjusted.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance as we have been a Moton Distributor & Service Center for many years.

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 03-18-2004 at 02:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Moton or JRZ, Double or triple adjustable or clubsport