Handbrake Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 07:39 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Handbrake Adjustment

Anyone with info or a link to a DIY on handbrake adjustment? If parked on an incline, when I pull up on the handbrake the car can still creep. Only if I pull on it very hard to make it click once more does it hold the car.

I assume some sort of adjustment on the back of the handbrake area somewhere under the console?

Also, I've read the posts on the adjustment on the rear wheels to adjust this, but wanted to give the console adjustment a go, first.

thanks
Old 02-18-2004, 08:06 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Silver Bullet

Just note that 800lb gorillas tighened those nuts down....
thanks for the help info for a true Porsche newbie.

BTW, the gorillas needed the extra work as they were originally hired to tighten the transmission fill hole cover. Wonder what else they were contracted out to do during assembly of the 993s? I guess I'll be finding out as I work from one DIY to another.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:58 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

I wonder if the handbrake isn't a weak point on these cars? I have had mine adjusted twice, including the fitment of new shoes and it still takes some force to stop the car from creeping.

As for the gorillas, a hand picked group who gave new meaning to the word 'tightne' were let loose on the seat mounting bolts...
Old 02-18-2004, 10:53 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Kelly,

A quick follow up on what Kim said about the handbrake adjustment. The outer of the two nuts acts as a lock for the other. Also, the inner nut turns against an eccentric, so you'll have to turn it till it "notches" into the eccentric before you lock it in place.

Aloha to you from snowy Upstate NY....
Old 02-18-2004, 11:03 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike,

Thanks for the additional info. Always appreciated considering the scarcity of service manuals for these cars.

BTW, what's snow?
Old 02-18-2004, 11:29 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Snow is the white stuff that falls from the sky and makes it easier to learn car control at safe low speeds.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:13 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my 28 years and about 300K miles of 911 ownership, I have found that attacking the shoe adjustment at the rear "drum" wheel is all that was needed. Unlike old time cars where the drum brakes WERE the brakes, you can both tighten and loosen the adjustment. I can't remember ever attacking the adjustments at the handle pivot except for one time when a cable broke.

Tighten the sprocket wheel inside the brake drum until you can't rotate the brake disc anymore. Then back off about 4 notches. Do this on both sides. Now find a hill and pull up on the hand brake. The car should be held with the hand brake pulled up to the 4th notch.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:22 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Ray.

good stuff.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:36 AM
Georges Rebeiz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never use the lever to adjust the brake ,this should be done from the rear wheels..
Old 02-19-2004, 02:44 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Ray Calvo
Tighten the sprocket wheel inside the brake drum until you can't rotate the brake disc anymore. Then back off about 4 notches. Do this on both sides. Now find a hill and pull up on the hand brake. The car should be held with the hand brake pulled up to the 4th notch.
Ray, thanks!
I need to adjust mine as well. Where exactly is the sprocket wheel? Does anyone have a pic?
TIA!
Old 02-19-2004, 10:11 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Thumbs down

Where exactly is the sprocket wheel? Does anyone have a pic?
[QUOTE]

You don't need any dopey pic. Get down in the garage, jack up a rear quarter, remove a wheel and look at the flat area on the disc around the studs. You'll see a nickel-size hole in the disc. Rotate the disc till the hole is along the horizontal plane. Now, I can't remember if the sprocket wheel is at the very front or very rear of the drum, but if you look in with a flashlight you should find it with a bit of gazing.

Removing the brake pads or at least prying them back a bit might make the disc rotation easier by hand and make it a better feel.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:50 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Update- I just got done with the handbrake adjustment. Sorry Ray, I did mine through the console as I'll wait till I have safer jackstands to work with from the GB going on now.

It was easy... I like this. The locknuts were not on very tight. (maybe the gorillas had the day off and mine were tightened up by a temp?) Anyway, I slipped a 13mm box wrench over the locknut and held the adjuster nut with an open end. To slip the box wrench over the lockut, it helps to pull the brake on first to give you room at the back to slip it over. With the leverage the long handled box wrench provided, the lock nut broke loose w/o a major struggle.

I then put the handbrake back down and pulled it up 3 clicks. I then used the open end and tightened the adjuster till it started to get tight. I tested the handbrake so it would only go up 4 clicks with a healthy tug. Tightened the locknut back up and tested the car on my sloped driveway. Viola'... the car holds when pulled up with 4 clicks. I let the car roll down the driveway and slowly pulled the handbrake up one click at a time. I could feel the brakes start to apply on click 3 and it stopped a rolling car on click 4.

I will double check the handbrake at the wheel end with Ray's method after the new stands arrive and I can feel secure crawling around under the car.

On an related note, are there options with which to replace the cassette holder with? Seems like such a waste of valuable space and I'm not planning to listen to any cassettes soon.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:20 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ray, thaks for the info!
Kelly, there are two replacements for the cassete holder. One is a tray, another is a cup holder that will probably hold two 12 Oz cans but nothing else. Both are standard Porsche parts. A guy from UK is selling the cupholder on eBay for about 40 quid (way too much, IMHO).
Old 02-22-2004, 07:20 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by kkim
On an related note, are there options with which to replace the cassette holder with? Seems like such a waste of valuable space and I'm not planning to listen to any cassettes soon.
Porsche parts (about $20):
Console cup #964.552.159.00.1DB
Rubber Insert #993.552.091.00

Last edited by STLPCA; 07-23-2013 at 03:45 AM.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:29 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks! Cup holder sounds pretty useless in that position. The tray sounds like a good idea for a wallet. Dan, are those the part #s for the tray that Mike S. refers to?

Quick Reply: Handbrake Adjustment