Old 02-05-2004, 02:18 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts
Default 550 Spyder kit...

I have been half-ash interested in the Beck 550 Spyder kit car. It would be a fairly easy build, while adding some vintage racecraft flair to it. Of coarse a healthy 6cyl would be in order....

Has anyone ever ridden in one? How uncomfortable are they to drive or ride in?

Anyone else thought of getting one?

Imagine it in AC Cobra blue, white stripe down the center...Maybe even a large two digit number with a round white background on the hood...

According to the Beck website, only 1350lbs, wet ready to drive (with VW running gear that is)
Old 02-05-2004, 03:21 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 139 Posts

My neighbor's son in law has a red beck spyder. With a Vw engine I might add... It's not perfect, but he got it cheap... If I could get one for under $5K (like he did) as a track car, maybe. If not, no... they're very light and tricky to drive, at least his is... It also is a PITA to get in and out of and you need a roll bar which destroys the lines of the car. It's not the real thing either... I think if I were going to have a light plastic car for the track it'd be an elise (more $$$). I dunno, I love the 550, but the plastic replica don't do it for me !
Old 02-05-2004, 04:15 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

back about 10 years ago i was planning on doing one....went thru the whole planning process.....starting from scratch, the 912 engine is the perfect fit.... go with the 356C brake set up as well.....hint :if you are planning to do a first class project, you can save yourself a bunch of time and money by picking up a used one even if it has to be redone.....be advised that it indeed is a fairweather car
Old 02-12-2004, 09:14 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've looked into it. There are two other companies that make the replicas, Thunder Ranch and Vintage Spyders. Check out SpyderClub.com for specific info.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:00 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sean:

A friend of mine has one. It started out as a fairly normal Beck. VW powered, VW gearbox, etc. Then came a 3.2 out of a 1986 Carrera. Used headers for a 914-6 conversion. This was about 1996...

Then in 1997 for some reason my friend had to get a 3.6 from a 993. He bought a powerplant from a 1+ year old MY95 and expected to put the engine/trans in. Unfortunately, the length of the gearbox and axle placement made it un-feasible. He still put the 3.6 with its management. Can has been flared and runs mid '80's 16" 911 wheels. Now for how it drives...

With the 4 cylinder, the car was a lot of fun up in the hills. Classic 550 stories rang true. Very tossible but watch it when it comes out in the rear. Now add the 3.2. In many ways, I thought this was the best balance. With the 3.2 and its Motronics, the car built torque but did not break loose a whole bunch. The 3.6 solved that.

Overall, with any of the engines, the car exhibits a quick snap oversteer just like rumored. It's a lot of fun if you stay in front of it ! With the 3.6 in it, driving is challenging, yet fun. It really takes off but you cannot forget you could be driving an oversteer with any upset of the car. Keeps you on your toes. The low "windshield" makes for some classic driving. Car is snug, but no less than a Speedster. Be prepared to eat some bugs...

Maybe I can talk my friend into bringing it out on a BAR drive. It's quite sanitary, but showings its age. The actual car was one of the first built.

Regards
Old 02-12-2004, 11:14 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

This is one project thats on eBay at the moment. He has a 2.4 MFI twin-plug, new engine in it. New 550 kit, not finished. This is a Thunder-Ranch kit. Lot of spare stuff with it, including a car trailer...

Nice guy that has sent me many pics of it....

No relation to this seller, just an interesting project with some good hardware..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEBWA%3AIT
Old 02-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris:

I saw that auction too. Visually, it is very simialr to my friend's with the flares. The 2.4 MFI engine might make for a nice "period" piece.

Let us know if you go for it !

I have been eying the nice white one in AZ...
Old 02-14-2004, 07:27 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove a Beck last year (equipped with the larger VW 4-cylinder) and really enjoyed it. The car was visceral, fast, and fun to drive. And quite a head turner, too! I can only imagine how much fun it would be with a Porsche 3.2 or 3.6 on board.

It is a small car, however. You better make sure you fit in one. I am 6'2" and could manage, though it felt a little cramped and the windshield hit me squarely at eye level. It would not cut it as a daily driver, that's for sure.

Vintage offers a tall man option in which they bump the engine cabin back a bit to allow a couple inches more legroom.

Quick Reply: 550 Spyder kit...