Sponsored by:

Porsche emission test experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 01:03 PM
dloines
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche emission test experience

So in the beautiful state of Mary-land we have to have emission testing every few years cringe, but no state inspections unless its not a new car with more than 10,000 miles and then only once.

Anyway, so I take the 991 in today, so they use wheel chocks connected to sort of a broom handle in front and behind the driver side rear wheel to prevent vehicles from rolling (safety), but the 991 sits too low for them to fit, so when I pull in I say "my car probably sits to low for you to use those" guy responds sorry sir we have to use them, takes him about 10 seconds to figure out that they won't work. Next he asked me to turn car off and step out, I say ok but the OBD is in an odd location, he doesn't respond and begins feeling under the dash, so I say its not under there, can I show you, he begins to feel under the passenger dash area (WTF?), at this point I'm getting a little pissed with his attitude and not listening. Finally a female co-worker comes over and says to him let me show you, she begins to feel further under the dash near the firewall (WTF?), so I say politely with a bit of "pissed off" in my voice, if you both would allow me to show you where it is located this will go much faster. I reach down and pull the cover off and point to it.

Gee Whiz! I guess its my fault for not have taken the cover off prior to my visit, but with the guy acting like a jerk from the beginning I forgot to do it.

I'm I over reacting or is it just a stupid way to act if that's what your job is and you do this on a daily basis?

the 991 passed with no issues so I'm good for a few more years
Old 03-22-2017, 01:24 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 89 Posts

Idiots. We had emissions testing here for a couple of years, but the lines were so long and they ticked off so many people that the legislature canned the whole program.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:41 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

That sounds very annoying. On the other side of the river here we have emissions tests every two years. Thankfully, my dealer can do them...
Old 03-22-2017, 04:37 PM
oolor13
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I did the MD emissions test in my 991 last year without incident. 10 minutes tops, with wait. The lady doing my test seemed to be pretty car savvy and we talked about cars while we waited.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:01 PM
dloines
Advanced

Originally Posted by oolor13
I did the MD emissions test in my 991 last year without incident. 10 minutes tops, with wait. The lady doing my test seemed to be pretty car savvy and we talked about cars while we waited.

guess it can be luck of the draw, last time I had a good experience with the person we joked about the key being on the left side....
Old 03-22-2017, 05:16 PM
dloines
Advanced

Originally Posted by oolor13

guess it can be luck of the draw, last time I had a good experience with the person we joked about the key being on the left side....
Old 03-22-2017, 05:28 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

ZERO emissions where I live in TN .... hip hip.....not even a yearly inspection.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:50 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Not even sure they still do it in Washington state. Used to be every 2 years in Seattle, but I think they finally realized that the cars these days almost always pass so a waste of time.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:58 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 236 Posts

Here in Pennsylvania, independents do the inspection each year. The state and the shop make money so it will never go away until electrics take over.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:47 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Cal rules
No emissions check for Vehicles six years old or younger (vehicles in this category require a $20 smog abatement fee; after six years, regular smog check requirements apply)
Old 03-23-2017, 12:18 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by justabout
Here in Pennsylvania, independents do the inspection each year. The state and the shop make money so it will never go away until electrics take over.
Just wait for the annual battery inspection. (to make sure the D-cells are all inserted the right way)
Old 03-23-2017, 07:14 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pmorritt
Cal rules
No emissions check for Vehicles six years old or younger (vehicles in this category require a $20 smog abatement fee; after six years, regular smog check requirements apply)
Had to do a smog test when I brought the car into CA from out of state. Took it to a local smog station, waited in line, the technician was being very thorough with the cars ahead of me so it took some time. He plugged the tester in to the OBD port, ran the test, all good, then he set about inspecting the vehicle.
"Can I see the engine?" he asked, to which I replied "Yes, if you jack it up and look from underneath". He thought I was messing him about so he said, "I know the engine is in the back, can you just open the rear cover". So I opened the rear cover and he looked inside "Ummm, where's the engine ?" he asked. "Under the fans and the airbox, if you really want to see it without disassembling the rear end, you have to go under the car" I replied. He paused, looked at me, looked at the car and proclaimed that he was unable to certify my car as "the visual inspection of the engine could not be completed"

I took the car down the road, the 2 youngsters were super excited about the car, it took 10 mins and I was out of there, inspection completed.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:24 PM
bradleyjb
Track Day

This just happened to me yesterday! I just bought a car in Colorado, and was looking for somewhere to get it done. First place asked me if I was bringing the car in for a dealer (as if it couldnt possibly be mine) so I left. Second place told me upfront (apologetically) that he cant do it because he cant visually verify the engine. I thought he was nuts - it doesnt run on magic. Down the block found a third place that had no issues - 15 minutes in and out.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:46 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by bradleyjb
"I thought he was nuts - it doesn't run on magic."
WHAT?????? It doesn't run on magic? Now you tell me.

I want my money back.

If you tell me the Easter Bunny isn't real I'm going to really be saddened.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:12 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once took an expensive manual car in for testing... Guy puts it on the rolling road, his boss looks at it, and says were not allowed to drive those cars (Ferrari). He just undid it and passed it as exempt...

Quick Reply: Porsche emission test experience