Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 base has been on dealer lot for a year. Fair price?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 06:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by midwestamv8
I had read that you CAN get CPO on cars like this. But I only plan on owning it for a year, two tops, so I'd rather have the discount than the extra warranty I won't use (can they even be transferred? I didn't think so...).
You can't get CPO on a new car.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:58 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,200 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Warranty punching has nothing to do with mileage or use. I bought a left over Cayman S that had been punched almost a year earlier and it had fewer miles than a left over Carrera S that hadn't even been punched. Without knowing the actual miles and use (i.e., demo or not), one can't draw any conclusions about how it has been used.
If the car has showroom miles, then there is nothing to worry about, assuming loss of a warranty year is factored into the price.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:35 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

There are two axioms that still hold true:

1. The seller never gets his price unless he asks for it.

2. The buyer never gets his discount unless he asks for it.

A year's loss of warranty is worth something. Just don't come across as you're doing the dealer a favor by moving a boat anchor off his lot.

PS The dealer doesn't need to know if your keeping the car for 5 years or 5 days.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:26 AM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm a "sort of" expert on this. My advice: PULL THE CARFAX EVEN IF THE CAR IS "NEW." We took delivery of our 2017 Base Carrera 7 SPEED on Nov 30th 2016. New car, right? Hmmm??? Shortly thereafter the computer asked for an oil service. A son was shopping for a used M4 so had unlimited Carfax checks. Found out the dealer had our car in stock for a YEAR!! 174 miles when we got it but the point: they could not sell a Lava Orange 7 speed until Old Guy walked into the store; a feeble minded shell of a man that ONLY wanted the manual gearbox. Got low 5 figures off the MSRP. They were SO HAPPY to see me drive off in that car. Oh, I should mention that they loaned it to me for almost a week, during which I bumped the mileage several hundred. Yes, they saw me coming and read my body language. Fantastic car. Best thing I've done since getting married 44 years ago. PS: Never thought about the warranty. I'm assuming it starts when I took delivery...must be true.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:57 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

I have run across year-old "launch" and "executive service" new 991.2s that have reasonable "demonstrator" miles on them ~100 miles and year- old "in-service" dates that get subtracted from the warrantee.

Usually they have something "special" e.g., odd about the build that has put off buyers. So far that is all that has kept me in my 911.1.

Prices are negotiable for sure, and I think 10-15% off MSRP should be the starting point. I have been told that the dealer cost to CPO the car - bringing the warrantee up to sniff is around $2.5k. If the dealer refuses that, then negotiate a "covered service plan for 3-5 years easily worth 5k if the car is kept.

The one thing to look out for is a car that was in the Porsche World inventory for track day demo. It would have to be a PDK. but I doubt that any dealer would represent that as showroom demonstrator.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:02 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Guy
I'm a "sort of" expert on this. My advice: PULL THE CARFAX EVEN IF THE CAR IS "NEW." We took delivery of our 2017 Base Carrera 7 SPEED on Nov 30th 2016. New car, right? Hmmm??? Shortly thereafter the computer asked for an oil service. A son was shopping for a used M4 so had unlimited Carfax checks. Found out the dealer had our car in stock for a YEAR!! 174 miles when we got it but the point: they could not sell a Lava Orange 7 speed until Old Guy walked into the store; a feeble minded shell of a man that ONLY wanted the manual gearbox. Got low 5 figures off the MSRP. They were SO HAPPY to see me drive off in that car. Oh, I should mention that they loaned it to me for almost a week, during which I bumped the mileage several hundred. Yes, they saw me coming and read my body language. Fantastic car. Best thing I've done since getting married 44 years ago. PS: Never thought about the warranty. I'm assuming it starts when I took delivery...must be true.
So the MY17 was built somewhere around Sept. 2015?
Old 05-04-2017, 12:05 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by midwestamv8
I had read that you CAN get CPO on cars like this. But I only plan on owning it for a year, two tops, so I'd rather have the discount than the extra warranty I won't use (can they even be transferred? I didn't think so...).

I know buying a new car and trading it in 12-18 months later isn't ideal, but that's why this car is potentially attractive if I can get it for around or less than $80k...
CPO transfers as long as the transaction is a private sale (or another P dealer).
Old 05-10-2017, 01:01 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I wonder what the OP ever did with this car? I'm curious.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:45 PM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Old Guy's Old Car Update

Had the "new" 911 at the dealer this week for the fuel system recall. Service mgr confirmed that my warranty started when I took delivery Nov 30, 2016, notwithstanding how long the selling dealer had the car in stock.

Quick Reply: 991.2 base has been on dealer lot for a year. Fair price?