Lighter brake stuff ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 01:55 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Lighter brake stuff ?

Apologies in advance if it's a stupid question..
I'm due for brakes soon (discs and pads) - mine are stock - not PCCB. Before I spend the $, are there recommended aftermarket options that bolt on and somehow are lighter weight but still affordable (not going all the way to PCCB cost)? I realize the discs need mass to dissipate heat but thought I'd ask just in case I am missing out on some cool tech I'm unaware of, and unsprung weight savings when doing the work.
Thanks (for not mocking me too much).

PS: Failing the above, recommendations on pads that squeal less ?
Old 07-19-2021, 04:04 PM
PUNKT2
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 143 Posts

I’ve always had very good results with GiroDisc, but it’s probably a bit of overkill unless you go to the track multiple times a year.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (07-20-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 10:08 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Received 527 Likes on 260 Posts

I put Hawk HPS 5.0 pads on my car last year. They work great. No squeal, and not to bad with dust, either. Also put on Sebro slotted rotors. I don't think they're any lighter than stock. I wanted to try something other than drilled. I'm happy with them.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:22 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 443 Likes on 287 Posts

Definitely check with Jeff @ Essex Racing. They have two-piece AP rotors that will be lighter and superior cooling.
He'll be able to recommend pads as well.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:47 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rugu6869
Definitely check with Jeff @ Essex Racing. They have two-piece AP rotors that will be lighter and superior cooling.
He'll be able to recommend pads as well.
Awesome, thanks, that is *exactly* what I was looking for, without knowing how they'd do it... an aluminum hat for the disc ? Clever - that should help weight !
Perfect !
Old 07-23-2021, 09:14 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg D.
Awesome, thanks, that is *exactly* what I was looking for, without knowing how they'd do it... an aluminum hat for the disc ? Clever - that should help weight !
Perfect !
Hi Greg,
We have numerous options that will help shave unsprung weight from the OEM brake equipment.

Option 1: AP Racing J Hook Discs in the OEM sizes. These replace the OEM discs and mate to the OEM calipers. The most popular setup is to pair them with some Ferodo Racing pads, which are available in several different compounds. We'd be happy to offer some guidance on which one is best for your situation.
front=https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...-replace-340mm
rear=https://www.essexparts.com/essex-designed-ap-racing-2-piece-competition-j-hook-disc-pair-35028-rear

Option 2: AP Racing by Essex Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kit. This is a complete replacement of the entire brake corner...caliper, disc, line, pads. The big difference with our full kits is that they replace the OEM brake calipers with something that is much lighter, far more durable, and convenient (you can change the pads without removing the caliper). The discs in our complete kit are larger than stock. Our front disc is 372x34mm and our rear is 365x30mm (vs. OEM discs in the 330-350mm range). Despite having larger discs, the lightweight calipers actually reduce overall unsprung weight by a 2-5 lbs. per corner on the various 911 trims.
front= https://www.essexparts.com/ap-racing...1372mm-porsche
rear= https://www.essexparts.com/ap-racing...orsche-997-991

Our 2-piece disc kits and complete brake kits have been the go-to alternative for many 991 GT3 owners for the past several years, particularly among those looking to save unsprung weight without all the headaches of carbon ceramic. You can see a long post on our complete brake kits here, which also includes a good deal of owner feedback: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ispreloading=1

Our blog also has many customer success stories for both product lines: https://www.essexparts.com/news-blog

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need more guidance. We're happy to help. Thanks!
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 07-23-2021, 05:19 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Excellent - will contact you when it's time (I've had a rough month buying tires and wheels for 2 of my cars, car budget is now zero for a few paychecks ;-)

Can you tell me on option 1 - replacing discs with your J hook disc, how much weight do they save vs a stock porsche unit ?
Old 07-26-2021, 09:37 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Excellent - will contact you when it's time (I've had a rough month buying tires and wheels for 2 of my cars, car budget is now zero for a few paychecks ;-)

Can you tell me on option 1 - replacing discs with your J hook disc, how much weight do they save vs a stock porsche unit ?
What is your specific year and trim level? The OEM disc weights have a range of different sizes that vary in weight depending on the trim and year. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2021, 09:53 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,957 Likes on 935 Posts

Essex website states front GT3 replacement Front rotor @ 21.4 pounds.I have a .1 GTS but not certain if rotor is the same as GT3 (Probably not)

Anyone know what OEM front and rear rotors weigh on a 991.1 S/GTS? (quick google search return with 24.4 for front rotors) 3 lbs per front corner is a LOT of unsprung weight savings, imo
I would love to swap over to essex, till now I was under the impression that Girodisc was my only option

Last edited by desmotesta; 07-26-2021 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:44 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by desmotesta
Essex website states front GT3 replacement Front rotor @ 21.4 pounds.I have a .1 GTS but not certain if rotor is the same as GT3 (Probably not)

Anyone know what OEM front and rear rotors weigh on a 991.1 S/GTS? (quick google search return with 24.4 for front rotors) 3 lbs per front corner is a LOT of unsprung weight savings, imo
I would love to swap over to essex, till now I was under the impression that Girodisc was my only option
The discs on the S/GTS weigh 24.95 lbs. front (350x34mm) and 22.1 lbs. rear (350x28mm).
The smaller front discs from a 991 Carrera T or Base model weigh 22.1 lbs. (330x34mm) and the rears are 20.0 lbs. (330x28mm).
Our front AP Racing 350x34mm discs assembled with hats weigh 22.8 lbs. Our rear 350x28mm J Hook discs assembled with hats weigh 18.9 lbs.

Vs. the 991.1 S/GTS we save about two pounds per corner up front, and three lbs. per corner in the rear, so a total of 10 unsprung lbs. removed overall.

Our offerings tend to be the lightest, while also being the most durable due to the internal vane design, metallurgy, hat design, etc.

Thanks, and let us know if you have any other questions!
The following users liked this post:
desmotesta (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 02:10 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine is a 2013 base car - I need all the unsprung weight savings I can get (already put on lighter wheels)... Sounds like your discs and pads are my next purchase !
Old 07-26-2021, 02:20 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Mine is a 2013 base car - I need all the unsprung weight savings I can get (already put on lighter wheels)... Sounds like your discs and pads are my next purchase !
Yes sir. We can provide a huge increase in thermal capacity, cooling, and longevity, while also saving unsprung weight. Win, win, win!

You can see lots of feedback from satisfied customers on the Essex Blog: https://www.essexparts.com/news-blog

Below are links to reviews of our 2-piece Porsche Discs:

Porsche 991 GT3 owner- "These rotors were first on my GT3 then on my GT3RS, and we had 2 drivers on them for 2 summers. That equates to 70 track days at Mont-Tremblant...Lots of the sessions were back-to-back 20-25 min sessions, so 40-50 minutes straight with just a quick driver change in the middle. These rotors were used with Hoosier R7 and Pirelli DH slicks. Just a great combo!"

Porsche 981 GT4 owner- "I've been happily running the Essex/AP Racing rotor on my Cayman GT4 for a few years now. The reason I'm reaching out is that my current front rotors have seen 23 days at Circuit of the Americas running in the advanced student and instructor run groups...My dilemma is that 23 track days intuitively seems like a lot for a single set of rotors, and yet your article seems to suggest that they may yet have a fair amount of life in them."

Porsche 991.2 GTS owner- "This brake setup was amazing on the track. 0 Fade, 0 heat issues, smooth stopping, good bite. Just all around perfect upgrade! Highly recommend getting these rotors for an upgrade!”

Quick Reply: Lighter brake stuff ?