35.97%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Turbo S or Carrera 4 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 10:37 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Truth be know, the wife got me into the P-Car world after she got a 981 Boxster-S. It is such a great car to drive, I would take it out whatever chance I had. I was an MB man until I drove that car. But the Box-S did not get me noticed by women, which in my case is not abnormal at all, but I did get waves and honks from very tidy and smartly dressed young men for some reason??

So to assert my manhood I had no choice but to get myself a 991.2 TTS. Still no women attention, which is fine as I am a happily married old grey hair dude and plan on remaining so. However, I can now go fast enough to get away from any of the young men.

On the serious side, I have driven the NA GTS-4S on a few European Vacations in the last few years, with the Porsche Travel Club. A super great car, with a wonderfull sound and more than enough power for regular use. I still say TT, but no wrong choice here.

Cheers
Old 03-22-2017, 12:22 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Having had a Turbo for years (1989 Turbo Cab)...I went with the N/A Targa GTS.....absolutly love it.....But as so many people have said....NO BAD CHOICE HERE!!!!! Pick one and ENJOY IT!!!!!
Old 03-22-2017, 02:27 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by py0413
Turbo S. The only reason you might want a 4 GTS is to have a manual gear box.
^^What he said. If cost is not a criterion, and you want AWD, I'd take the Turbo capital T all day long. Gorgeous car.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:26 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Going for the Turbo S.

Excellent info on this thread, and yes traveling to ATL PEC experience next month.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:40 AM
b2nvs2001
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bringing this topic up again in 2021 with some slightly more specific parameters. I’d love to share my thoughts before trying to engage all of you with your own. Ultimately, I could really use your advice!

The 991.2 4gts with 13k miles would roughly be 20-25k less than a 991.2 turbo s with 29k miles. Both, I believe, I’m getting for a reasonable price considering the market. Both have “similar spec” with the gts even having pccb but the gts has a clear bra in the front half. I’d likely be keeping either for a number of years adding a minimum of 30k miles to them before selling.

I’m in a somewhat interesting situation and I don’t want to divulge too many details lest you all think I’m absolutely insane (which sometimes I actually think about myself). But to break down what I can a little, I feel like I’m nearing the end of an age where I can really truly drive these cars with skill and still have daily driver duties with my kids in the back seats (who will at some point outgrow them in the next 3-5 years).

As mentioned, I will likely drive either car a lot and many times to and from work. Money no option I think turbo s all the way. But I’m definitely stretching it with the turbo s.

I’ve been fortunate enough to long term drive this car and I agree with what others have stated that for a 580hp car, its just too easy and effortless. Many times you don’t even realize how bloody fast you’re going until you look at the speedo. But, I call it a “space filler.” Any space you see in your field of view - its yours - you can be there and take it safely - its just that fast and usable. Similarly - this is the only car I’ve driven where you can actually “beat” a series of lights from yellow to red to all greens!

By the same token I’ve had a chance to drive a rwd gts with a tune (which I would likely get also) and some of the rawness and the visceral experience you get with this car is unmatched. On a good day a gts is sublime and the perfect drivers car. And you have to have skill to drive it. With reference to a rwd gts with a tune, the car is definitely teetering on the edge and you have to drive it carefully to ensure you don’t lose composure.
But sometimes all this “ambience” and rawness can be annoying with too much road noise and stiffness in the suspension when you’re trying to have a conversation with your wife on the way home.

Lastly though, the other thing I’m weighing in is this crazy market. I worry that I’m paying way too much for either and could be left eating a 20-30k drop in value after this bubble bursts. I also believe p-cars are exceptionally mileage sensitive. I wonder whether driving a turbo-s to 60-70k miles before selling would really hit the value of the car with depreciation versus a 4gts with 40k miles. The devils advocate position in this case is that electric cars are here to stay and so by the time I even come close to consider selling all “special” petrol cars will be invaluable and so mileage will not make any difference with regards to depreciation.

A lot of “first world problems” to think about but definitely could use your thoughts, guidance and wisdom!

Last edited by b2nvs2001; 07-24-2021 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:21 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by b2nvs2001
Bringing this topic up again in 2021 with some slightly more specific parameters. I’d love to share my thoughts before trying to engage all of you with your own. Ultimately, I could really use your advice!

The 991.2 4gts with 13k miles would roughly be 20-25k less than a 991.2 turbo s with 29k miles. Both, I believe, I’m getting for a reasonable price considering the market. Both have “similar spec” with the gts even having pccb but the gts has a clear bra in the front half. I’d likely be keeping either for a number of years adding a minimum of 30k miles to them before selling.

I’m in a somewhat interesting situation and I don’t want to divulge too many details lest you all think I’m absolutely insane (which sometimes I actually think about myself). But to break down what I can a little, I feel like I’m nearing the end of an age where I can really truly drive these cars with skill and still have daily driver duties with my kids in the back seats (who will at some point outgrow them in the next 3-5 years).

As mentioned, I will likely drive either car a lot and many times to and from work. Money no option I think turbo s all the way. But I’m definitely stretching it with the turbo s.

I’ve been fortunate enough to long term drive this car and I agree with what others have stated that for a 580hp car, its just too easy and effortless. Many times you don’t even realize how bloody fast you’re going until you look at the speedo. But, I call it a “space filler.” Any space you see in your field of view - its yours - you can be there and take it safely - its just that fast and usable. Similarly - this is the only car I’ve driven where you can actually “beat” a series of lights from yellow to red to all greens!

By the same token I’ve had a chance to drive a rwd gts with a tune (which I would likely get also) and some of the rawness and the visceral experience you get with this car is unmatched. On a good day a gts is sublime and the perfect drivers car. And you have to have skill to drive it. With reference to a rwd gts with a tune, the car is definitely teetering on the edge and you have to drive it carefully to ensure you don’t lose composure.
But sometimes all this “ambience” and rawness can be annoying with too much road noise and stiffness in the suspension when you’re trying to have a conversation with your wife on the way home.

Lastly though, the other thing I’m weighing in is this crazy market. I worry that I’m paying way too much for either and could be left eating a 20-30k drop in value after this bubble bursts. I also believe p-cars are exceptionally mileage sensitive. I wonder whether driving a turbo-s to 60-70k miles before selling would really hit the value of the car with depreciation versus a 4gts with 40k miles. The devils advocate position in this case is that electric cars are here to stay and so by the time I even come close to consider selling all “special” petrol cars will be invaluable and so mileage will not make any difference with regards to depreciation.

A lot of “first world problems” to think about but definitely could use your thoughts, guidance and wisdom!
If you buy either and put 30k miles over a few years and only lost 30K, I would be very surprised. Used car prices are quite horrrible currently. Either car is likely 20-30K over priced now. Own for 2+ year and add 30k mile Ana you could be looking at much more than 30K loss. But it’s only money. If you are thinking about the money side of this, maybe it’s just not the right move.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:40 PM
b2nvs2001
Track Day

Originally Posted by Jack F
If you buy either and put 30k miles over a few years and only lost 30K, I would be very surprised. Used car prices are quite horrrible currently. Either car is likely 20-30K over priced now. Own for 2+ year and add 30k mile Ana you could be looking at much more than 30K loss. But it’s only money. If you are thinking about the money side of this, maybe it’s just not the right move.
Thanks for your response! I agree and that’s why I am hesitant. However, would you be able to tell me what you think the price of these cars are worth (4 gts with 13k and turbo s with 29k) if markets are normal / low so I can have a benchmark to compare against.

Last edited by b2nvs2001; 07-24-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:02 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 769 Likes on 402 Posts

Test drove a tts before buying my 4gts. Its too fast/luxurious/isolated for my liking. But everyone’s sweet spot is not the same so ultimately you really have to experience them 1st hand.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:24 AM
b2nvs2001
Track Day

Originally Posted by b2nvs2001
Thanks for your response! I agree and that’s why I am hesitant. However, would you be able to tell me what you think the price of these cars are worth (4 gts with 13k and turbo s with 29k) if markets are normal / low so I can have a benchmark to compare against.

Sorry to bump this thread if everyone is done with it - just urgently looking for a response to the question above, if possible. I’ve seen gts’s for around 135k-150k and turbo s’s in the 160-180k range. What would these values have been for a 4 gts or turbo s during “normal” times?

Thanks!!
Old 07-26-2021, 02:05 PM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 65 Posts

Before the pricing went crazy over the last 1-1/2 years a GTS 4 with some nice options (PCCBs, All-wheel-steering) and under 10k miles were going in the mid $120s. I'm now seeing lesser optioned GTS and GTS4 going for $130-$150s.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:49 PM
b2nvs2001
Track Day

Originally Posted by TRM
Before the pricing went crazy over the last 1-1/2 years a GTS 4 with some nice options (PCCBs, All-wheel-steering) and under 10k miles were going in the mid $120s. I'm now seeing lesser optioned GTS and GTS4 going for $130-$150s.
Thanks TRM!! Super helpful

Quick Reply: Turbo S or Carrera 4 GTS