991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road trip - Colorado

Old 03-16-2017, 03:04 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 42 Posts

I second the Limelight in Aspen. But the Hotel Jerome is still my favorite - big rooms, great location on Main Street, the coolest old bar in town, and a long history. St Regis always feels very dark and stuffy to me. Colorado has so many great roads and mountain passes you can't go wrong. Take a look at Independence Pass out of Aspen as an alternative.
Be aware that most all of the great roads are well patrolled so don't go too crazy ripping through.
Sounds like a fun trip.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:14 PM
dloines
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you decide to visit the Vail area i highly recommend The Lodge at Vail, its part of the Rockresort locations, we ski Vail every other year and i stay there evertime, great customer service. There are other Rockresort locations in the Colorado area.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:51 PM
PCSandDDS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all, I'm taking a lot of notes...
Old 03-16-2017, 11:33 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by dloines
if you decide to visit the Vail area i highly recommend The Lodge at Vail, its part of the Rockresort locations, we ski Vail every other year and i stay there evertime, great customer service. There are other Rockresort locations in the Colorado area.
Haha, we stay at Lodge Tower next door.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:37 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Check this out: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...rn-dragon.html
Old 03-16-2017, 11:55 PM
Schmed
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 57 Posts

Make sure to go over Independence pass either on your way to or from Aspen. Fantastic driving and scenery.

When in Aspen, take an early morning drive up to Maroon Bells. They don't let you drive up there between 8 am and 7 pm (double check those times) because they like to limit traffic, so it's bus-only during those times. So go before then, bring a camera. You will NOT be disappointed. Google "maroon bells".

I travel to all those towns often for work, so PM if you have questions. Being a Chicago transplant, I can also tell you where to find italian beef and old style!
Old 03-17-2017, 02:24 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

I stayed at The Lodge at Vail a few weeks ago. Great location.

If you decide to stay in Vail, make sure you eat at Sweet Basil. One of my favorite mountain restaurants. It's a short walk from the Lodge.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:50 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

I drive from D.C. to Colorado every summer meeting friends and touring. It looks like you already have good suggestions, but want to reinforce the drive along "the Million Dollar Highway (US 550 between Ouray and Silverton". Amazing. Also, the Breck distillery is definitely worth a visit.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:08 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I stayed at The Lodge at Vail a few weeks ago. Great location.

If you decide to stay in Vail, make sure you eat at Sweet Basil. One of my favorite mountain restaurants. It's a short walk from the Lodge.
Sweet Basil is definitely a good choice. I'm also partial to Mountain Standard. And of course Pepi's is a must. Either that or the Swiss Chalet for some raclette!
Old 03-17-2017, 11:10 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

I agree! I had a Jägerschnitzel lunch at Pepi's a few weeks ago. Great spot, with great beers too!
Old 03-17-2017, 11:14 AM
skywaterbanjo
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
If you are going as far as Telluride, you should detour just a bit to drive the Million Dollar Highway (US 550 between Ouray and Silverton). One of the most dramatic routes in the US, just keep you eyes on the road. Both Ouray and Silverton are worth stopping, and maybe lunch. Much better food in Durango (brew pubs, or good dining at Seasons, Ken & Sues, etc.). Stop and say hi.
As a fellow Durangotang, I second the Million Dollar Highway drive. One of the best in Colorado. Two other restaurants in Durango: Eolus, Chimayo. Let us know when you'll be in town.

The Durango Silverton Narrow Gauge Railway is also a great diversion for a day. Only ride it one way, though - take the bus back.

Last edited by skywaterbanjo; 03-18-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:29 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I drive from D.C. to Colorado every summer meeting friends and touring. It looks like you already have good suggestions, but want to reinforce the drive along "the Million Dollar Highway (US 550 between Ouray and Silverton". Amazing. Also, the Breck distillery is definitely worth a visit.
I'll agree with the multiple mentions of 550 south of Ouray. When I was driving my new-to-me car home from Salt Lake City to Texas I was lucky to stumble through here just after leaving Grand Junction before dawn when there was little traffic. The road there is where I learned to appreciate the capabilities of PDCC and PTV. I also took some more leisurely moments to enjoy the phenomenal views.

The road as it heads south out of Ouray can be seen to the upper right of the town in this photo....

Old 03-17-2017, 12:05 PM
gyh
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 20 Posts

Denver - I think you have your hotel options are covered. Didn't see the Four Seasons but that's nice too. Close by is the Union Station area which has been totally redeveloped in recent years. There is a restaurant there called Stoic & Genuine (http://stoicandgenuine.com/) which is very good. Tavernetta is also opening there any day now and is run by the team that runs Frasca Food & Wine in Boulder (2017 James Beard Foundation nominee for Outstanding Restaurant - worth going to if you don't mind going to Boulder).

Aspen - agree with the commenter who suggested the Hotel Jerome and would also throw in the Little Nell (https://www.thelittlenell.com/).

Summit County - Also agree Vail over Breckenridge. Someone mentioned Rock Resort options, another one is The Arrabelle hotel in Vail (http://arrabelle.rockresorts.com/).

Enjoy your trip and share photos when you come back!
Old 03-17-2017, 10:11 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

[QUOTE=StormRune;14038920]I'll agree with the multiple mentions of 550 south of Ouray. When I was driving my new-to-me car home from Salt Lake City to Texas I was lucky to stumble through here just after leaving Grand Junction before dawn when there was little traffic. The road there is where I learned to appreciate the capabilities of PDCC and PTV. I also took some more leisurely moments to enjoy the phenomenal views.

Nice, photo!

Just a reminder: if you drive 550 from north to south (coming out of this photo), your passenger will be on the "free fall" side and often see nothing but air!
Old 03-18-2017, 01:34 AM
ArthurVandalay
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Halcyon Hotel in Cherry Creek neighbourhood of Denver +1

In rte to Aspen from Glenwood Springs. Stop in Carbondale and visit Marble Distilling. They even have five high end suites you can stay in.

http://www.marbledistilling.com/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road trip - Colorado