Sponsored by:

Returning to the fold - need config advice please

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 04:41 PM
Jack's dad
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Returning to the fold - need config advice please

Former 993 and 981S owner looking at ordering and leasing base Carrera. Sales person tells me I need to keep list price below 108.7 to get best lease rate - anyone else heard this?

I am looking at ordering a base 911, GT Silver/Black standard car with no roof, premium package, sport exhaust, heated multifunction wheel, seat ventilation (I'm in FL) and a few cosmetic goodies. Price cap means I can have some but not all of the following: 20" wheels, sports chrono, Bose and/or full leather.

Car will be a daily driver and unlikely to get anywhere near a track. Any advice from those of you who have been down this path before would be greatly appreciated.Thanks very much!
Old 03-12-2017, 04:54 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have direct experience with a Porsche lease, but have heard they have caps on what max MSRP they use to calc residuals.

Makes sense as you can rack up tens (and TENS) of thousands of dollars in options very quickly and Porsche would never get full return after a certain point.

Regarding advice on options, I would be sure to tick the sport chrono box for sure. With PDK, this is a must have to get the full experience - even if you never track or come close to full potential of performance. (There are likely countless threads debating this...)

If you like different wheels, you might consider buying an after market set and then swapping back the originals when lease ends. Easy, albeit not cheap, to do this. Other options, like PDK or sunroof, aren't possible to add aftermarket.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:32 PM
Jack's dad
Advanced

Thanks, Hawkeye. I have read the threads on the value of Sport Chrono and I certainly could feel the difference when I test drove the car, so I am tempted to go that way. Guess I'm just wondering if I would appreciate/use some of these other options more. Anyways, thanks for weighing in - I appreciate it. Anyone else have any thoughts...? Thanks!
Old 03-12-2017, 08:52 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 195 Posts

108.7 is probably the MRM. Maximum amount they will residualize, anything over that you pay at 100%.
Eric
Old 03-12-2017, 08:53 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thought is since you are leasing get whatever you want. It will not matter since you will be turning it in when the lease expires. Sport Chrono is NOT a must in a lease since you are not purchasing it. Get whatever you want and leave the rest behind.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:08 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 561 Likes on 211 Posts

The lease rate may not be that much more from what you get if you get more options. In Canada, the lease rate is set by Porsche Financial, not by the dealer. I say get the car you want with the options you want, what's a few hundred extra dollars or less per month. You will regret big time not getting the car and options you want.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:17 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Are you SURE you will not purchase this car at the end of the lease? If you might, I'm going to also recommend you get exactly what you want even if it pulls you over the MRM.

I leased my base C2 thinking it would be s two year test drive. Turns out I LOVE this car and I would buy it at the end of the lease but it does not have PDK or SC and it is black. Three strikes.

Get what you want or you will regret it.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:13 AM
Jack's dad
Advanced

Lots of good advice here - thanks everyone!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:18 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack's dad
Former 993 and 981S owner looking at ordering and leasing base Carrera. Sales person tells me I need to keep list price below 108.7 to get best lease rate - anyone else heard this?

I am looking at ordering a base 911, GT Silver/Black standard car with no roof, premium package, sport exhaust, heated multifunction wheel, seat ventilation (I'm in FL) and a few cosmetic goodies. Price cap means I can have some but not all of the following: 20" wheels, sports chrono, Bose and/or full leather.

Car will be a daily driver and unlikely to get anywhere near a track. Any advice from those of you who have been down this path before would be greatly appreciated.Thanks very much!
You shouldn't have any problem keeping the price under that amount. For me, I wanted the 19 inch wheels (do some DD - plus you can always go to other rims later easily), found that sport chrono is a blast, and the Bose system to be quite disappointing but at least it has the power to drive the Musicar tweeters. You might consider going aftermarket entirely for the stereo. I spent the $1500 for the Bose and another $600 for the tweeters, so I am sure you can have somebody install something quite good at a later date.

I didn't opt for the full leather. With silver, the options that appealed to me were black and red leather. With black, it hardly seems much different than the standard black interior and not worth the $3800. The red interior: I hadn't seen it and was worried that it might be more on the pink side. So I opted for the standard black interior and happy with it, but on the next lease, I'll get the red leather for sure.

I also did a manual transmission.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:20 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Skip the leather. The Bose sucks so don't sweat if you can't fit that in. I'd recommend SC if you had to pick one.

YMMV.

Like others have said.... if there is any chance this car may be a keeper then get it exactly as you like and pay a little more on the lease rate - or have the dealer push back on your behalf.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:27 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 718 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack's dad

Based on your cap and options, if you intend to consider resale in your option list, I'd add the following: Sunroof, 20" wheels, PDK, Sport Chrono, Bose.

The build would look like this: http://www.porsche-code.com/PHEBS8K0

MSRP would be right around $108,000, less if you don't want PDK.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:30 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 718 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxsterG
Sport Chrono is NOT a must in a lease since you are not purchasing it.
I'm not sure that is sound advice if the OP intends to get another car and the end of the lease. My dealer tells me that most of his customers trade after 2 - 3 years and have some equity in their car, based on what they the dealer can get for the car on the used car market. That, in turn, depends on how easily the car will sell based on the option list. Since 90% of the cars sold have a sunroof, sport chrono and bose (or better), real and the Op's potential equity in the car at lease end can be affected. Plus there is the issue of enjoyment of the car during the lease.

PS I agree with the rest of your post
Old 03-13-2017, 11:36 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

To put what people said into other words:

The "value loss" part of your lease cost is the difference between purchase price (after negotiation) and residual value (does not change when negotiating, so negotiating is very valuable).

However, the residual value stated on the base car does not, in Porsche logic, cover all options. There might either be a cap on option cost, or certain options might be excluded. For those options not covered you lose 100% of the value during your lease, not matter how short it is.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:24 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never regretted ordering full leather, even though it is black in my car. The standard pebble finish vinyl on the dashboard and door tops compared to the soft smooth leather look with French seam stitching you will look at every single time you drive the car.
I probably punch the Sport Chrono button once a month or so unless I am out of my flat valley home and driving on a mountain road. I use the standard Sport button mostly around town. I ordered the Sport Chrono more to have something else to play with, but mostly for the '51-'52 Chevy-style Sport Chrono clock on the dashboard which fills in the giant plastic ventilation grill that otherwise looks like a sewer grate in the middle of the dashboard top.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:16 PM
rwschill
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lane change assist for sure

Quick Reply: Returning to the fold - need config advice please