Sponsored by:

porsche experience atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 10:20 PM
dloines
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default porsche experience atlanta

have a conference in downtown Atlanta first week in April and was thinking of doing the driving experience thing at PEA, any one have feedback on it? Is the track time worth it for someone that has a 991? Or should I just have lunch. tour the museum and pick up some cool gifts? Thanks in advance
Old 03-11-2017, 10:38 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

I went just to walk around. It's worth a stop if your expectations are not to high. You can get through it all in about 2 hours if your not doing a driving experience.

I did go out and watch the folks rolling around the track and talked with a few and they were having a blast. Most were not Porsche owners.

When ever I'm ready to purchase a newer model I'll probably head back down and give it a drive..... other wise I'm just going to hit a track day and probably have more fun.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:56 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

We just did the PEC experience today for the first time... WOW!

Started with the simulators and then did the Turbo / GT3 driving experience.

Simulators were a blast. Went with two other couples and our children, everyone enjoyed it.

Driving course was top notch. They had almost every car in the lineup available....

Started with the GT3 and then the Turbo S. The course was great to really see the differences in these two beasts.

The driving coaches were all excellent. Very knowledgeable and really pushing you to your limit.

Added bonus, they took our boys for a hot lap when we were done (child has to be 70 pounds or more). We did not expect this, and our boys have not stopped taking about it since. This really made their day (and ours!).

I can see why folks are so torn between the GT3 vs Turbo's. After several launches using launch control, I have no regrets ordering the Turbo S. (Although the GT3 still accelerated violently quick!)
Old 03-11-2017, 10:59 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

BTW, the Restaurant 356 was excellent as well. Here are a few more pics....

Old 03-11-2017, 11:05 PM
autobahnA8
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by autobahnA8; 02-20-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:24 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Look around and have lunch, not very extensive museum or equipment to look at. If you want to pay to drive that might be a thrill
Old 03-11-2017, 11:25 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Originally Posted by autobahnA8
Think it really depends on your driving experience / history.

if you have a high performance Porsche (turbo, gt3, RS, etc.) and frequent track days / de events you will likely be underwhelmed by the driving part. It's like a test drive on steroids.

but if you don't engage in that activity regularly you will likely be blown away and really enjoy it.
This is very true, fully agree.

One of the folks with us races and was not very excited about the short/narrow track. He really enjoyed experiencing the specific cars, but commented was not the same as the auto cross events he enjoys. (But he loved it, he would do it again)

It was a great way to experience the cars though. For those who don't track often, the track is still a lot of fun. It also features wet skid pads, low friction course, launch pad, kick plates, etc and are a great way to enhance driving skills and also experience these exceptional cars and their differences.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:04 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 612 Posts

What do they do with those cars "after"? Anyone know?
Old 03-12-2017, 08:20 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
They show up in the HFS thread...

Old 03-12-2017, 10:39 AM
dloines
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by autobahnA8
Think it really depends on your driving experience / history.

if you have a high performance Porsche (turbo, gt3, RS, etc.) and frequent track days / de events you will likely be underwhelmed by the driving part. It's like a test drive on steroids.

but if you don't engage in that activity regularly you will likely be blown away and really enjoy it.
that makes sense, don't have any of those models above and have not been on a track in over 10 years and then not with a Porsche, so sounds like I will enjoy it. Looking forward to it now. thanks for the advice all!!!
Old 03-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Originally Posted by Keadog
No clue, but we were definitely joking we would never want to buy one errantly!

I will say, hats off to Porsche... To have their cars driven at that level of extreme with launch after launch and have no mechanical failures is amazing.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:00 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

they are probably assigned as long term test vehicles and get all kinds of mods and updates on continuing basis There is a secret vw/audi test center in Tampa where they do the same and afterwards crush them. I have seen hundreds go to the crusher over the last 10 yrs
Old 03-12-2017, 04:44 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Originally Posted by OKB
they are probably assigned as long term test vehicles and get all kinds of mods and updates on continuing basis There is a secret vw/audi test center in Tampa where they do the same and afterwards crush them. I have seen hundreds go to the crusher over the last 10 yrs
Love the conspiracy theory!

Certainly could be the case, but I would be shocked if this were as I'm sure they have a lot of value.

Every car we were in was perfect condition. I expect they rotate these fairly often, with superb care throughout their track tenure, as it would be a poor experience if they were like modern day rental cars... When you get into a car that should be nice and they are beat to hell with a gazillion miles.

I've seen the original 918 press car at the PEC - their first 918. They've had to paint it several times and have had to replace many many parts, with 20,000 hard track miles.

They sold this, under full disclosure, for full MSRP.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:20 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

In 1996 my wife gave me a great gift of 3 days at Road Atlanta in a PCNA driving school. It was very thorough, very expensive and very enjoyable. She has supported my Porsche irrationality since 1974. Now the course is taught at Montgomery, Alabama. I have been to both Atlanta PEC in 2015 and Road Atlanta in 2006. Road Atlanta was far more valuable to me than PEC in 2015. If you want to test Porsches for an eventual purchase go to PEC. If you want an education in a Porsche (not your own) go to Montgomery. It is well worth the expense.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:41 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
In 1996 my wife gave me a great gift of 3 days at Road Atlanta in a PCNA driving school. It was very thorough, very expensive and very enjoyable. She has supported my Porsche irrationality since 1974. Now the course is taught at Montgomery, Alabama. I have been to both Atlanta PEC in 2015 and Road Atlanta in 2006. Road Atlanta was far more valuable to me than PEC in 2015. If you want to test Porsches for an eventual purchase go to PEC. If you want an education in a Porsche (not your own) go to Montgomery. It is well worth the expense.
actually, Birmingham, AL at Barber Motorsports Park, which is a beautiful venue and probably a little less challenging than Road Atlanta for a novice.

Quick Reply: porsche experience atlanta