Sponsored by:

991 Engine Fire On Highway - Car Destroyed

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 04:35 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

...give the guy a break...

His car just went up in flames because of an incompetent Porsche service department after years of owning what might have been a lemon.

I'd be pretty ticked too. The dealership should be giving the guy the fair value for his car instead of stiffing him for 4k through their insurance. If they can't even get that right they should be named and shamed.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:19 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
...give the guy a break...

His car just went up in flames because of an incompetent Porsche service department after years of owning what might have been a lemon.

I'd be pretty ticked too. The dealership should be giving the guy the fair value for his car instead of stiffing him for 4k through their insurance. If they can't even get that right they should be named and shamed.
Agree.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:24 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyC
Thank you. I'm less concerned about the money and more concerned about making sure this is a known danger and that it doesn't happen to anyone else.
Sorry for your situation, but you want to make sure that everyone knows that leaving a rag in the engine compartment is a known danger???

You should be going through your insurance and they should be going after the dealer and the dealer's insurance. That's why we pay for full coverage.

EDIT: Ahhhh, I just saw that you're looking for punitive damages. Now I get why you're not going through your own insurance.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:49 PM
aljus
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been following this post and can't help thinking of how the dealership, their insurance co. and pcna can determine when and where the " non- native object " was placed in the engine compartment ?
Old 03-12-2017, 06:10 PM
tjwinchester63
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I said, I was in a similar situation, it involved a forensic investigator from the insurance company. The same investigators that are involved in all types of fires, house, car, boat, etc. These people are experts at determining the cause of fires, that is how it is determined who is at fault, who pays, etc.. They don't just guess and speculate (like people on forums), who is right and wrong, this is a pretty exact science. It has to be, often involves millions and millions of dollars, not just small losses like cars but very large losses like commercial properties. I do find it interesting that people often weigh in and perpetuate the "big bad dealer/insurance company conspiracy theory. It often is the opposite and the dealer does try to do the right thing, in the entitlement world though, people often believe they are owed more than is realistic. OK I am done now, will move on to more positive topics, has been interesting though.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:50 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Honestly, if I owned a car that had 'almost killed me a couple of times' and then it burned due to a dealer mistake, I'd have felt like I hit the lottery and would have been on the phone to the lottery office...er, I mean my insurance company, while the wreckage was still smoldering. Please let me know the name of the dealership, so I can send my wife's Q7 there for service. I'd pay them to leave a rag in there, maybe leave the oil fill cap off, a smoldering cigarette...

On another note, doesn't this belong in the HFS thread?
Old 03-12-2017, 09:46 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

On another note, doesn't this belong in the HFS thread?

Don't think this car would make a good listing, although things look like they got HOT.

Name:  photo53.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  788.7 KB
Old 03-12-2017, 11:35 PM
JonnyC
Cruisin'

Some of you requested more photos . . .

Old 03-12-2017, 11:54 PM
ddodds
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

$4000 salvage value for this car? I'm not seeing it.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:00 AM
pfan
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Even in the worst of times, the 991 still looks pretty good.
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2017, 11:33 AM
Quadry
Instructor

Unless you are retaining the salvage, they are not going to hold that from you. This is just something that is not true.

Insurance companies get salvage bids and take the highest one. If you decide you want to keep it, then they deduct that amount from what you are paid, as they would have sold it for that price to salvage company.

Example,

Insurance value $80,000
Salvage $4,000
You keep the car, they pay $76,000 to you and you get the marshmallow
They keep the car, they pay $80,000 and someone else makes a smore.

I do think the dealer should pay the value and then go above that with generous offers. If I owned the dealership, I would pay you the $80,000, apologize profusely and give you a soundbar as a token of my desire to keep doing business.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:26 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

What kind of wheels were those?
Old 03-13-2017, 01:54 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry for your loss. With all the other problems you had with it this may have been a blessing in disguise. I hope everything works out the way you want it.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:07 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about and see what happened to your Porsche...It is a rather dramatic end to a car that gave you some troubles in the past....

I am bit surprised that a few need to question the motive for posting the event now....I really can't imagine being 100% calm, collected, and cool about someone leaving a rag in the engine bay and the end result is what we saw in those graphic pictures. The motive for posting isn't material to the purpose of this great forum...sharing information with the group to benefit the OP or any number of members or users of the Rennlist forum.

Many of us would complain about a service light not being reset, a door ding, an oil filter not changed, or any number of service problems that can occur during a visit to any service department....we are a demanding group to be sure. This person just lost his car in flames due to a service oversight...even if part of the goal of the post is to "shame" the dealership---the event did happen and many of us will probably take additional steps in the future to prevent this from occurring to our own cars (like checking the engine compartment for rags, towels, etc..)

I understand that part of this intelligent forum is that we question and challenge facts or events----maybe we could be a bit sensitive to the fact that the guys car burned to the ground..thank the universe that nobody was hurt.

----I guess Monday is my public service day....

Cheers and I hope the future holds a new or new to you 911 in your garage
Old 03-13-2017, 02:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

"Hey Jethro, look...the explosion knocked the motor clear into the trunk!"

Quick Reply: 991 Engine Fire On Highway - Car Destroyed