Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Engine Fire On Highway - Car Destroyed

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 03:40 PM
famous shoes
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

After going through the fire pictured above due entirely to dealer negligence from your description it doesn't seem at all unreasonable to ask for a new car. I would think that your dealer should be thrilled to get away with just the price of a new car and avoid a settlement for "pain and suffering". Replacement value is one thing but enduring what you went through is entirely another. PCNA might exert some pressure on the dealer to reach a reasonable settlement. I would definitely give them a call. Any decent plaintiff's attorney would be all over this case, not to mention a consumer reporter for nightly television news.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:41 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

it seems dealer/mechanic is clearly at fault and can be proven - they need to make you whole for your loss
Old 03-11-2017, 03:49 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

So... it's their fault, nobody's hurt, they should give you full retail value of an equivalent car, but I don't see any reason why they would pay for a new one or a Lambo or whatever else you're wanting.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:51 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You should storm into the dealer, and say "Give me a new C4S, or I'll sue your ***!" The sales rep will probably say, "Sir, you have to leave." Then while pointing your finger at the sales rep, you say "It just went up to a Turbo!" Then storm out, get in your rented Chrysler and screech off...
Old 03-11-2017, 03:52 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,202 Likes on 2,715 Posts

Unless you had agreed value insurance, you are stuck. Your insurance will probably subrogate against the dealer's insurance, as noted.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:53 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
it seems dealer/mechanic is clearly at fault and can be proven - they need to make you whole for your loss
agreed, you should be able to buy an equivalent car, the insurers value minus four grand is an insult

Last edited by PantsFire; 03-11-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:54 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Or you could blow your horn for 10 seconds every time you drive by the dealer... that'll give all the gray haired buyers second thoughts.

Better yet, get a set of air horns.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:58 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

The internet is not your friend in any litigation. Stop posting talk only to your legal counsel.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:12 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 548 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by blackonblack
You should storm into the dealer, and say "Give me a new C4S, or I'll sue your ***!" The sales rep will probably say, "Sir, you have to leave." Then while pointing your finger at the sales rep, you say "It just went up to a Turbo!" Then storm out, get in your rented Chrysler and screech off...
:lol:
Old 03-11-2017, 04:49 PM
JonnyC
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
That is pretty unfortunate. I think it is a bit misleading to say your car nearly killed you. Its more like the dealer nearly killed you. Not sure how the insurance rules work in your state but I wonder if you can't just sue the dealer for your loss (certainly your insurance company will subrogate and sure the dealer) and try and improve you position.

In the end, the insurance company just needs to put you back to where you were - which is in a similarly equipped similar mileage same year Porsche 911. Unfortunately that never gets you exactly to where you were, but hopefully close enough so you can go out and buy an equivalent replacement.
I agree that on this particular occasion (as opposed to the prior occasions when the car just turned off on the road as detailed at the 6SpeedOnline thread I mentioned) it was the dealer that nearly killed me. The car insn't on the side of the road because it turned off -- I assume because of the fire --while in the middle of the road during a slow merge into an expressway. Some motorists drove by me to the right waving to get my attention. As the engine is in the rear, I didn't see the smoke until it was too late -- the car wouldn't turn back on, and things happened quickly. I ended up running down the road behind me and waving and yelling for people and cars to stay back, fearing there would be an explosion. Someone had stopped with a fire extinguisher but correctly decided to keep his distance and wait for fire crews.
As for the insurance issue, in Pennsylvania, punitive damages, when awarded, are not limited to the market replacement value of destroyed property.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:00 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ieatfishburritos
I'd suggest you take the money and buy a camry
+1
Old 03-11-2017, 05:12 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

So this happened three months ago?

So what does your lawyer say? Have you sued? Has the insurance company settled (would appear pretty clear cut based on what you said)?

I feel like there is half a story being told here
Old 03-11-2017, 05:17 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyC
It is. Why do you ask?
You're right I should have been more specific.

First off, glad you are ok. Cars can be replaced, people can't.

Since you came online, you must be seeking advice or feedback.

1. If you goal is to litigate here, it can only harm your case, not help. Best to take the high road and stay off the internet.

2. Lawyer up and let them work on your behalf to seek reasonable restitution with the shop.

3. Almost dying and dying are two different things. Your lawyer will work with you to address how you were harmed by this negligent act. Fair market value for the vehicle. Yes. Loss of use. Yes. Some pain and suffering, yes. A new C4S? hmmm, well, go for gold as they say.

Lastly,

4. Carry a fire extinguisher in your next whip. :thumb:

Good luck, and welcome to Rennlist.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:29 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Sorry that hear. Definitely hire an attorney and go after the dealership. It's unfortunate that your unhad those issues, and they have soured you on the car, but it's not connected to this, which was certainly caused by negligence during the oil change.

As for new car, that's not likely to happen unless the dealer decided to settle on that with you to avoid litigation. Other than that, your insurance should give you fair market value on the car.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:39 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I am very sad to read about this. Absolutely horrible situation, I am sure your attorneys will be find a solution on this. Best part is that no one is hurt.

Who is this dealer/service dept, inquiring minds want to know that way we all can avoid them. You may not be able to say directly right now (you haven't even started litigation right now) but I am sure we all can take some clues...especially on what city/state it is in.

Quick Reply: 991 Engine Fire On Highway - Car Destroyed