Sponsored by:

CL swap out for 5 lug?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 01:03 AM
Sayyaaf
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mdkrp
NoGaBiker- I like how your wheels came out in GT Silver. They look great with your car color.
Hey man, I was about to do the conversion this week. Parts would cost you around 2500$:

You need Hubs, Wheel carrier, rotors and possibly new bearings. You need to include the price of 5 lug wheel set.

Mine ended up in the region of 10K: Parts are 2.5K + 5K for TE37 wheels + 1.5K for new tires + miscellaneous stuff (spacers/shipping/longer bolts).

my parts & wheels are being returned for refund as we speak.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:42 AM
VWfamily
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's why I don't care for black wheels. Most of the time, at any distance they just "disappear"
Old 03-11-2017, 12:30 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Sayyaaf
Hey man, I was about to do the conversion this week. Parts would cost you around 2500$:

You need Hubs, Wheel carrier, rotors and possibly new bearings. You need to include the price of 5 lug wheel set.

Mine ended up in the region of 10K: Parts are 2.5K + 5K for TE37 wheels + 1.5K for new tires + miscellaneous stuff (spacers/shipping/longer bolts).

my parts & wheels are being returned for refund as we speak.
What model car were you going to do this to?
Old 03-11-2017, 01:14 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Well, if it can actually be done, and if the cost is only 2g, not to be flippant but that's trivial. If the car cost 140-150k, and the new wheels are 6-9k for HRE or similar forged offerings, and that's what a person wants, what's another 2gs? Granted, taking 7,000-dollar wheels up to 9000 makes for an expensive wheel set, but in the grand scheme of things...
Upon further review and read of more of this long thread on the 997 GT3 forum, you've got $2000 and a few hours labor at each corner, and a complete suspension alignment after converting. If I recall, the numbers bandied about in 2012 were closer to $4000+ before you considered the replacement set of 5 lug wheels. Porsche changed their tune a few times with new assembly instructions and torque values for the CLs. In the end, they provided a mileage limit when the hubs should be replaced. It caused a lot of consternation in the GT3 track crowd. Just as on a full race car, Porsche was setting limits to repair before failure. I have no idea if anything was changed in the 991. I've heard that the GT3 RS cars got a beefier design.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:19 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Mdkrp, can you post a pic of current wheels? Hard to see in small avatar pic.

Maybe?:

1) do a polished rim in silver, leave rest black
2) do a sapphire blue ( I think that's your color) accent or red, rim accent, like the new 991.2 GT3 wheels
Old 03-12-2017, 03:32 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Thanks! Totally changed my outlook on life. Okay, maybe not that drastic. But I went from always having a little twinge of disappointment with how the car looked (unless it had bright sun streaming in from the side so the wheels were well lit) to loving it under every circumstance. Even when the wheels are dirty, which is a lot of the time.

I liked them in black just fine when they looked like this:

But most of the time it was more like this, and they sort of disappeared in the dark wheelwells:

I think the painted silver wheels look amazing on your car NoGa. I have debated whether I want to do something with mine, such as paint or just go with new HRE style. Did you have any luck with your re-finishing, finding a clear coat that repels brake dust?

Jim
Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2017, 04:06 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Mdkrp, can you post a pic of current wheels? Hard to see in small avatar pic.

Maybe?:

1) do a polished rim in silver, leave rest black
2) do a sapphire blue ( I think that's your color) accent or red, rim accent, like the new 991.2 GT3 wheels
Here is a pic of my current rims.
I will probably have them plasti-dipped in GT silver and if like it then will have them polished and just keep the center locks.
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2019, 06:51 PM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Yeah, I was a little confused about that as well. If you just want silver, have them painted by a local wheel painter. Here are my GTS wheels (originally black satin) in GT Silver with the satin clear coat over top of them.

NoGaBiker... where did you have this done? I'm also in ATL and want to have the CLs on my GTS repainted in GT Silver... thanks... CP

Quick Reply: CL swap out for 5 lug?