Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3-no wing and with a rear seat option. Interested?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 07:08 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by PantsFire
I was thinking about that diffuser earlier, in some of the press shots you can see how low those fins are, there is definitely less clearance. It's be clever of Porsche to make them out of hard rubber to allow some give if they're bonked.
I read, I think on the GT forum, that the clearance of the rear lowest point on the new car is 88mm.

J
Old 03-11-2017, 07:10 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drifting
The 991 GT3 does look epic. You put it next to a regular 991 carrera and the difference is huge.

The suspension is firmer than a regular Carrrera for sure, but the 991 GT3 suspension is more comfortable for daily use compared to the 996 and 997 GT3/RS generations. I daily drive my 991 GT3 half of each week without a problem.

The biggest issue is ground clearance. Bumpy roads and small potholes are fine. However large potholes are an issue because of how low the car sits. You can navigate most gutters and speed bumps with the front axle lift currently, still scraping a bit a times, but no major issues in my car. However the lift doesn't help for large potholes you hit at 35 MPH.

Keep in mind that the .2 GT3 will sit 5mm lower than the .1 GT3 and the .2 GT3 will now get large diffuser fins across rear bottom of the car, so clearance will be certainly worse for the .2 GT3 than the .1 GT3 and the .2 GT3 would be harder to drive regularly in the city from that standpoint.

911R owners talk about this as the rear diffusers first appear on those cars. 911R is great for a country drive, but scraping the rear on everything can get annoying if you tried to daily a 911R, (which no one would do).

I expect that the GT touring version wouldn't have these racing bits like the diffuser, or the huge brake cooling ducts underneath the car, so clearance would be better and certainly easier to daily drive.
Curious to know from an owner how much the wing impedes rearward vision?

J
Old 03-11-2017, 08:58 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Curious to know from an owner how much the wing impedes rearward vision?

J
I've gotten used to it. At first it really bothered me, as i routinely scan my six for cops. You can actually still see a lot behind you, just the center 25% of the rear view is blocked for cars a mile behind you (like a cop). You can see closer cars without a problem.
After two years it's less of an issue than it used to be as I lean on my radar detector, and I now take a little extra time to check my rear view, side mirror, and blind spot before changing lanes, but I've adjusted, even in heavy CA traffic.

Drove a friends 991.2 C2S for a day last week, expecting to be relieved to have full rear view vision again, and I didn't care as much as I thought I would.
That day I just really missed my PDK-S, motorsport suspension, RWS, linear NA throttle, low gearing, and the song of the GT3 engine.

There are hassles to daily driving the GT3. Interior isn't quiet, less rear visibility, ground clearance issues, and extra attention from cops.

But everything else about the GT3 makes it worth it, IMHO.

Last edited by Drifting; 03-12-2017 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:27 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drifting
I've gotten used to it. At first it really bothered me, as i routinely scan my six for cops. You can actually still see a lot behind you, just the center 25% of the review is block for cars a mile behind you (like a cop). You can see closer cars without a problem.
After two years it's less of an issue than it used to be as I lean on my radar detector, and I now take a little extra time to check my rear view, side mirror, and blind spot before changing lanes, but I've adjusted, even in heavy CA traffic.

Drove a friends 991.2 C2S for a day last week, expecting to be relieved to have full rear view vision again, and I didn't care as much as I thought I would.
That day I just really missed my PDK-S, motorsport suspension, RWS, linear NA throttle, low gearing, and the GT3 sound.

There are hassles to daily driving the GT3. Interior isn't quiet, less rear visibility, ground clearance issues, and extra attention from cops.

But everything else about the GT3 makes it worth it, IMHO.
Great input. Thanks! I have always appreciated on my 997.1 C2S with the deployable spoiler and my GTS with the duck that they have completely hidden the spoiler when looking in the rearview mirror. I would think there are some safety concerns, the more it is blocked.

Jim
Old 03-11-2017, 10:56 PM
autobahnA8
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You notice the wing for sure in your rearview. But who cares? it does a great job blocking headlights from cars behind you. Better than any auto dimming mirror.

ive gone thru a few front lips (yes I have front axel lift). But they are easy and cheap to change. Ground clearance really isn't a big issue, but as drifting noted you definitely become more self aware for potholes and approaches into and out of parking lots.

gt3 is very special compared to the rest. Totally worth it if within your means.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:57 AM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Having just watched the DriveTribe review, done in the GT3 with one of the Porsche engineers, I have to say it looks like a fantastic machine. The obvious enthusiasm from the factory and the level of detail they’d gone down to was astounding but they still claimed it was a quite different car from the 991R.

For me, as a non-trackday person, I admire it but I think I would find it a bit too hardcore for 100% road and daily driving, so would be happy with a GTS. There’s a lot of negative comment from elsewhere about how there are so many 911 models and specs but that’s the genius of the Porsche guys: there’s something for everyone in the range and they sell them all...
Old 03-12-2017, 11:10 AM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

For me having a slightly restricted view out the back is less of an issue than the aesthetic of the car, I've always liked the classic Porsche lines to the rear over any duck-tail or wing. It's why I immediately fell for the 911R, it looks a like a modern version of a classic Porsche in the Singer mould
Old 03-12-2017, 02:27 PM
Jeff4598
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I would not hold my breath. This is a car company that lives by holding back choice (and progress). Why should customers have to wait for a new model iteration to get PDK shift paddles and another changeover to have the PDK shifter move in the direction that most people agree is correct? As an M3 owner and prospective 911 owner I can tell you that software updates on my M3 have been very nice to have. My understanding is that the improvement in steering on the 991.2 is a software change and that the upgrade cannot even be PURCHASED for a 991.1. Is this from a problem admitting mistakes, a perverse method of making the cars feel "special" or just a way to induce customers to "upgrade" to the latest model/
Old 03-12-2017, 02:48 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by PantsFire
...I've always liked the classic Porsche lines to the rear over any duck-tail or wing. It's why I immediately fell for the 911R, it looks a like a modern version of a classic Porsche in the Singer mould
You mean like this?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sing...w=1280&bih=918

Pretty much every Singer made has at least a short version of the ducktail .
Old 03-12-2017, 03:29 PM
Zonian
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yep. Wide body, .2 GT3 drivetrain /manual. Scrap the wing, diffuser and track suspension. No sunroof, Fuchs wheels, graphite grey, Pepita seat centers, no badging, more delete options. Is that asking too much?
Old 03-12-2017, 05:30 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
You mean like this?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sing...w=1280&bih=918

Pretty much every Singer made has at least a short version of the ducktail .
I accept the Singers do have a (tiny) tail, but a tiny one that doesn't ruin the line, unlike the current one IMO.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:00 AM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a great deal of discussion in this thread about the wing...which in my opinion is an easy fix in the aftermarket. Buy the GT3 w/ 6pd, all other options you want, then get a replacement rear deck lid that has a ducktail or whatever you want. Then you have the original wing you could add back for track days or whatever...just swap out the deck lids.

The real problem is the rear seating. As others have mentioned on here, I have children that love riding in my car. I also really enjoy going for rides with them...it would be a tough decision to not have that option. I'm assuming that with seat belts and everything that goes into the safety part, there would be no way to add rear seats to a car?

These creative tech shops that you see on TV remodeling cars seem to do a lot of customizing. Couldn't you buy the seats, belts and all internals out of a wrecked 991 and then have some customizing shop add them?
Old 03-14-2017, 11:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Rear seats have been added to GT3s successfully but the other issue that inevitably comes up is liability/negligence. What happens in a wreck if a rear occupant is injured?

It's ridiculous that Porsche doesn't at least offer it as an option. The space is there unlike other true 2 seaters. Ford now offers it as an option on the 350R.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:31 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 285 Posts

Fore sure. I'd get one in Agate and tell the wife my C2S was detailed and got new exhaust
Old 03-14-2017, 03:26 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff4598
I would not hold my breath. This is a car company that lives by holding back choice (and progress). Why should customers have to wait for a new model iteration to get PDK shift paddles and another changeover to have the PDK shifter move in the direction that most people agree is correct? As an M3 owner and prospective 911 owner I can tell you that software updates on my M3 have been very nice to have. My understanding is that the improvement in steering on the 991.2 is a software change and that the upgrade cannot even be PURCHASED for a 991.1. Is this from a problem admitting mistakes, a perverse method of making the cars feel "special" or just a way to induce customers to "upgrade" to the latest model/
I also noticed the improved steering feel on the 991.2 I drove. Given that aftermarket tuners have been able to make programming improvements to PASM with the DSC Controller, to ECU fuel+ mapping with the Cobb AP, and more recently changes and upgrades to the PDK transmission ECU from a company in Europe, it does seem a little strange that we have heard nothing about anyone in the aftermarket making steering ECU software changes/upgrades to the 991.1.

The only steering improvements I've been able to make so far to my 991.1 GTS coupe are as follows: DSC PASM Controller, but without Larry Cable's finer adjustments so far; TPC's adjustable stabilizer bars, front and rear, with a change to Pegasus front heim joints (better and more robust than the cheaper skinny ones supplied by TPC); alignment of front camber to max negative within the capacity of the OEM front suspension. The overall "feel" of the front of the car is significantly better, in the sense that turn-in response seems quicker and more natural, but the new stabilizer bars do make the ride tauter, even in comfort mode. BTW, if I recall correctly, most DSC reports indicate that the comfort mode is a little softer than OEM, so I'm guessing that the aftermarket adjustable stabilizer bars are the "tauter" factor in the two-part DSC/TPC Bars modification.

Still, even with the above downstream changes to the steering set-up, steering ECU software remains the key to solving the 991.1 problem. Surely there are some really smart people in the Porsche aftermarket who can figure out how to make this happen.

Quick Reply: GT3-no wing and with a rear seat option. Interested?