Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3-no wing and with a rear seat option. Interested?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 11:06 AM
white rock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a guy on here with a 991 GT3 RS without the rear wing. I'll try and find it.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:08 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by philipatl
Count me in.

I had a GTS, loved it. However; I traded for a dark blue GT3 and two observations. 1. The whole GT3 experience is another world from the Carrera/GTS. 2. I fell in love with the dark blue as it kind of makes the wing a little less "look at me"..
Can you give any more details/comparison? I know the technical differences between the two cars but would be great to hear from a real person who has owned both!
Old 03-10-2017, 11:08 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I say Porsche makes a configurator with the ultimate ala carte menu and allow to to order "your" 911. Scrap all the marketing model names.

Pick your variant, engine, cosmetics, performance options, weight saving options, touring package, and BOOM!! You have your bespoke custom 911!

I know ... wishful thinking
Old 03-10-2017, 11:09 AM
white rock
Instructor

https://www.google.com/search?q=991+...V_sX_hLvt7qlM:
Old 03-10-2017, 11:14 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

How about a GT3 with the movable wing from a turbo? Lower key and could be deployed for track days.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:40 AM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

I think the issue with the wing for me is that for the longest time I associated them with boy racer ricers.

So even though the GT3 wing is purely there for legitimate reasons, I feel the need to remind myself of that every time I see it on the car.

With that being said, take my money now for a GT3 with no wing and a back seat. I use my back seat pretty often (maybe once every two weeks) and really can't get my head around the GT3 wing. Even the ducktail would be fine.

Essentially we are describing a slightly toned down 911R. Which IMO is, at the moment, the perfect 911 to own.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:32 PM
digistyl3
Advanced

The Carrera is amazing, but the GT3 is epic!

GT3 with less aero and rear seats could replace both my 991.1 Carrera S and GT4. The GT4 is a PITA to drive around town, and I already torn its face off on an underground parking lot ramp. The Carrera is an amazing car in every situation, but is less visceral than the GT4. Although I can't wait to take it on track and compare it to the mid-engined Cayman.

A GT3 Touring would be best of both worlds. I would buy one!
Old 03-10-2017, 02:00 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
How about a GT3 with the movable wing from a turbo? Lower key and could be deployed for track days.
That would be perfect, IMHO.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:56 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PantsFire
I'd be interested, the lack or rear wing would maybe step on the R's toes too much for Porsche which is unfortunate because it's the wing that make's it a little too extreme for me.
I doubt Porsche cares much about the future value of cars they have already sold and that are no longer in production.

Pretty sure if they were confident they could make a few million dollars profit by selling a few thousand GT3 Touring Editions with no wing and rear seats they would jump on it. As long as it did not cut into the profits from the standard GT3.

So what's the easy answer? Produce and sell GT3s until demand dies down then offer the Touring Edition with Wing Delete and Rear Seats to pump up sales again.

Remember, you heard it here first from an absolutely nobody.

Last edited by rkwfxd; 03-10-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:18 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I say Porsche makes a configurator with the ultimate ala carte menu and allow to to order "your" 911. Scrap all the marketing model names.

Pick your variant, engine, cosmetics, performance options, weight saving options, touring package, and BOOM!! You have your bespoke custom 911!

I have thought for a long time that P should do this-like one of those custom burger places. For me, I think I will bide my time with my measly 7800 redline until the so called 'touring package' arrives.

Jim
Old 03-11-2017, 08:25 AM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

This would be perfect, they could still have the current models as base settings but the other side let you go nuts, maybe restricting unsafe combinations but other than that go nuts. It'd definitely make me break my 'no new car' rule
Old 03-11-2017, 09:18 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by PantsFire
This would be perfect, they could still have the current models as base settings but the other side let you go nuts, maybe restricting unsafe combinations but other than that go nuts. It'd definitely make me break my 'no new car' rule
It's an interesting concept, reminiscent of the sixties when GM would let you COPO order pretty much any combo you wanted, for a price. Want a 427 Big Block and 4-speed in your Caprice Estate wagon? We'll build it for you! (I've seen that car, in fact.)

But nowadays, with the required testing for emissions AND crash purposes of any motor/transmission/chassis variant, no way it would fly. Plus, even absent the gov't regs, Porsche is so insistent on testing every possibility within an inch of its life, that I don't see them letting you make untested choices. Such as putting a ducktail on a .2. Or putting a black, thin-veined GTS grill on a 991.1 GTS with a ducktail. They want to control engine, transmission, aero choices to within a quarter-millimeter.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:59 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

As much as I want a wingless option, but looking at the new gt3 carefully, the wing has kinda grown to me. I do love the awesome new air vents on the rear. Those look so epic.

Either way manual gt3 for me is a must...I just do not know how good the new suspension is for daily city driving (my city roads are kinda crappy, potholes here and there).
Old 03-11-2017, 12:23 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
As much as I want a wingless option, but looking at the new gt3 carefully, the wing has kinda grown to me. I do love the awesome new air vents on the rear. Those look so epic.

Either way manual gt3 for me is a must...I just do not know how good the new suspension is for daily city driving (my city roads are kinda crappy, potholes here and there).
The 991 GT3 does look epic. You put it next to a regular 991 carrera and the difference is huge.

The suspension is firmer than a regular Carrrera for sure, but the 991 GT3 suspension is more comfortable for daily use compared to the 996 and 997 GT3/RS generations. I daily drive my 991 GT3 half of each week without a problem.

The biggest issue is ground clearance. Bumpy roads and small potholes are fine. However large potholes are an issue because of how low the car sits. You can navigate most gutters and speed bumps with the front axle lift currently, still scraping a bit a times, but no major issues in my car. However the lift doesn't help for large potholes you hit at 35 MPH.

Keep in mind that the .2 GT3 will sit 5mm lower than the .1 GT3 and the .2 GT3 will now get large diffuser fins across rear bottom of the car, so clearance will be certainly worse for the .2 GT3 than the .1 GT3 and the .2 GT3 would be harder to drive regularly in the city from that standpoint.

911R owners talk about this as the rear diffusers first appear on those cars. 911R is great for a country drive, but scraping the rear on everything can get annoying if you tried to daily a 911R, (which no one would do).

I expect that the GT touring version wouldn't have these racing bits like the diffuser, or the huge brake cooling ducts underneath the car, so clearance would be better and certainly easier to daily drive.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:35 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Keep in mind that the .2 GT3 will sit 5mm lower than the .1 GT3 and the .2 GT3 will now get large diffuser fins across rear bottom of the car, so clearance will be certainly worse for the .2 GT3 than the .1 GT3 and the .2 GT3 would be harder to drive regularly in the city from that standpoint.
I was thinking about that diffuser earlier, in some of the press shots you can see how low those fins are, there is definitely less clearance. It's be clever of Porsche to make them out of hard rubber to allow some give if they're bonked.

Quick Reply: GT3-no wing and with a rear seat option. Interested?