Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3-no wing and with a rear seat option. Interested?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 12:11 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I'm with you. Seems like what guys want most, you have to jump through hoops to get or they're not offering it yet.

The .2 GT3 Intro thread on the GT3 forum has 78K views in 4 days. Says something about where the passion is. I've never seen anything like it. The .2 GTS gets announced a month ago or so and now shown for the first time at the same Geneva show and its crickets.

I'd like to do some reorganizing of the product line!
I may or may not have about 1k of those views.

I think you hit on the point I was trying to make earlier. A GTS is a really nice souped up Carrera S. Really, i will be honest and say I wanted one but it was more than I was willing to spend.

A GT3 is an entirely different kettle of fish. And the response shows. Plus, this car is the true enthusiasts car that we wanted when we got the R...except there will be a lot more than 991 of them.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:56 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Driving around with the wing seemed like it would be okay when I first took delivery of my .1 GT3, but over time I came to think it looked like what ricer wings want to be if and when they grow up. Wing looks great on the track where it belongs, silly (or worse) on the street. What I would really want is to put the new GT3 engine and PDK-S in my current .2 C2S and I'd be set. I don't even care about the wide body and I would happily forego the center locks.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:15 AM
studlee
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm sure it would be a $4000 option to remove the wing. Wait...they are saving money not putting on a wing.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:27 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Someone needs to make a mold of the 911R rear lid and modify it for gt3 with the added brake lights - problem solved. I am sure this solution can be achieved when the car is out for the masses.

The wing gets lot of attention when driving in the city. But at least the NA porsche 911 with 6 manual is coming
Old 03-10-2017, 01:35 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
Why not just order a MT GTS, and call it a day?
Hi Fred. I am lucky enough to have a manual transmission 991.1 GTS which I plan on driving until I can order a GT3 sans wing from my dealer for sticker! 500hp NA engine from Porsche's racing department that revs to 9K is why I would make the change. I'm quite happy with mine if I can't get one.

J
Old 03-10-2017, 01:44 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I'm with you. Seems like what guys want most, you have to jump through hoops to get or they're not offering it yet.

The .2 GT3 Intro thread on the GT3 forum has 78K views in 4 days. Says something about where the passion is. I've never seen anything like it. The .2 GTS gets announced a month ago or so and now shown for the first time at the same Geneva show and its crickets.

I'd like to do some reorganizing of the product line!
If Porsche was smart, and I think they are, they would pay a lot of attention to this!
J
Old 03-10-2017, 02:16 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
Driving around with the wing seemed like it would be okay when I first took delivery of my .1 GT3, but over time I came to think it looked like what ricer wings want to be if and when they grow up. Wing looks great on the track where it belongs, silly (or worse) on the street. What I would really want is to put the new GT3 engine and PDK-S in my current .2 C2S and I'd be set. I don't even care about the wide body and I would happily forego the center locks.
I've had mixed feelings about the wing. There is definitely part of me that cringes whenever I see some ricer civic, etc, but I also know how critical downforce is for the track which my car sees every 6 weeks. Any real car guy knows the importance of downforce for tracking, and how form follows function, and most ricer guys are just immature, not knowledgeable. And the rear wing is designed so elegantly on the 991 GT3 compared to the 966/997 cars and even the 991 RS, that the wing really fits the 991 GT3 nicely and doesn't look aftermarket like other GT generations.

My three gripes with the GT3 are scraping the front more than I would like, my visual thoughts about the wing combined with less vision from my rear view mirror, and that cops notice me much more in my GT3 than when I drove a carrera.

However, the incredible motorsport suspension which grips like nobody's business yet is compliant enough for a long trip, an engine that is so eager and just wails to 9000 rpm, PDK-S which is so fast and a different league than regular PDK, proper low gearing (I shift manually when I'm not tracking), and the more aggressive look of the rest of car beside the wing, more than make up for the three concerns I listed above.

If I could get all those performance options in a regular 911 narrow body I would be tempted, not certain to get it, but definitely tempted. However, until that day, I will enjoy my GT3!

Last edited by Drifting; 03-10-2017 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:29 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

1) There is no doubting the fact that various generations of GT3/GT3RS are and have been formidable track weapons. Out of the box there are very few cars that can deliver the performance GT3/RS cars can deliver and do it repeatedly (other than purpose built cars).

2) The issue for me, personally is I watched the **** up that was the 991.1 GT3 launch and various flambe episodes - yes it was resolved, but nontheless it had an impact

3) The GT3 RS exists..........

4) The 991 GT3RSR is mid-engined - why not simply deliver a mid-engined two seater GT3/RS - after all the the 991.2 GT3 is a two seater. This simply defies logic at every level. Would people buy it - hell yes, in spades. Would I buy one, yes.

5) GT4RS..........will be delivered

6) Ultimately, whatever happens the GT3/RS are track cars that you can drive on the road. Personally, I wouldn't do this. However, I would buy one for 80-95% track use (and have put money down on a .2 GT3RS - although I would prefer it to be mid-engined).

7) Would I de-wing one and add a manual box, no. Why? see (6). (It doesn't mean I don't understand why others would want to do this - it just wouldn't work for me )
Old 03-10-2017, 07:08 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally I love the wing, and for a car with that much performance and that quick a revving engine I'd prefer PDK over manual too.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:54 AM
Brantley847
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would pay all the dollars!!

While it's still a track car, the ability to transport my kids and use it more frequently would be a game changer. I actually like the GT3 and RS wings... the seat is what I needed that will push me to GTS.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:01 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by studlee
I'm sure it would be a $4000 option to remove the wing. Wait...they are saving money not putting on a wing.
Right. Better figure $6k.
And add 4 months to build time...
Old 03-10-2017, 09:06 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
+1

After about a year of 991.1 ownership, I basically found the rear seats to be pretty useless. Maybe once or twice I managed to squeeze some grown ups in there for some sub 10min drive/drop-off, but other than that, it's just a space I throw stuff into - does not need to be a wannabe seat -- so, completely ok w no rear seats.
many of us have kiddies.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:37 AM
simplex
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't want the back seats, then why not get the Cayman S?
The 911 promise has always been a practical sports car for a variety of situations.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:49 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by virage
If you don't want the back seats, then why not get the Cayman S?
Exactly. Cuz a Cayman S is pretty much just a GT3 without the wing, right?
Old 03-10-2017, 11:00 AM
philipatl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Count me in.

I had a GTS, loved it. However; I traded for a dark blue GT3 and two observations. 1. The whole GT3 experience is another world from the Carrera/GTS. 2. I fell in love with the dark blue as it kind of makes the wing a little less "look at me"..

Quick Reply: GT3-no wing and with a rear seat option. Interested?