Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What type of bra is on your 911?
I don't need no bra, bro
26.49%
Front bra installed
52.98%
Full bra, like those 1950s swimsuits
14.57%
Full bra, 7 coats of wax, armed security guards
6.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do you have clear bra / film on your 911? Would you get them again?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 10:10 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts

And it looks like the tracktape captured all of the rubber buggers. Did you put it on your headlights as well?
Old 03-07-2017, 10:21 PM
TTSPete
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
And it looks like the tracktape captured all of the rubber buggers. Did you put it on your headlights as well?
I put a little bit on but not again after you guys said it might delam the coating.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:03 AM
JawJuh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what kind of wax / polish can you use on top of a bra?
Old 03-08-2017, 07:38 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 729 Posts

I use a lot of Blackfire products. I polish with an orbital buffer and apply polishes and sealants. Treat it similar to paint/clear coat, no heavy abrasives. Comes out looking amazing.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:12 AM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JawJuh
My understanding is that you can treat it like a regular clear coat. Polish and wax with the same stuff.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:43 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

I see no need for any.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:02 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

See #31.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:13 AM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts

I put a little bit on but not again after you guys said it might delam the coating.
TTSPete,
I don't believe the adhesive in tracktape is as powerful as PPF adhesive so you are probably ok. Better safe than sorry though

I installed Gtechniq EXO V3 over my entire car, paint and film. The finish looks amazing (to me). It has tremendous hydro and dirt repellent properties. I have not used any waxes ever since the nano and glass products hit the market years ago.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:30 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
The point is washing is easier and your right - why wax film? It's already like looking through clear glass at paint that never ages.
Film Protects from debris

Wax Shines
Old 03-08-2017, 12:34 PM
613Porsche
Advanced

I have never done PPF before and I didn't do it on my Cayenne but I am getting a full wrap on my C4S. For me the C4S will be my DD and I'll drive it all winter in Canada so I figure the film will protect it form road debris and people walking by it in crowded parking lots with their big winter jackets that have lots of metal zippers. The Cayenne has stood up pretty well over 6 years but there are definitely lots of tiny scratches that a film would have avoided. I figure that I am already in $175K after tax with this car, another $5K to protect it is a small price to pay.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:16 PM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I came out of retirement to get involved with distribution of protection film from a 40 year old company that started marketing under its own brand in the US late in 2016. We will be a sponsor on Internet Brands and Rennlist in a matter of days.

There is a lot of urban legend and half truths in the PPF business. When I write up our introduction I will try to tackle things in a Paint Protection Film 101 format trying my best to stay away from (too much) brand hype.

Today's films are significantly improved for both the installer and the consumer. Easier and better installation benefits us all as do improved stain resistance, self-healing, hydrophobicity, and other newer capabilities. Some films are optically clear and are made and shipped in ways that create a gloss that rivals corrected paint. And so forth.

One thing that hasn't changed - a good film can't make up for poor installation. Find a good installer and pay the asking price. It is worth it in the long run. More to come in a few days or weeks.

Gordon
PS, I'm a concurs guy and I like the use of a good film, properly installed.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:30 PM
JawJuh
Advanced

Originally Posted by beaverlake
I came out of retirement to get involved with distribution of protection film from a 40 year old company that started marketing under its own brand in the US late in 2016. We will be a sponsor on Internet Brands and Rennlist in a matter of days.

There is a lot of urban legend and half truths in the PPF business. When I write up our introduction I will try to tackle things in a Paint Protection Film 101 format trying my best to stay away from (too much) brand hype.

Today's films are significantly improved for both the installer and the consumer. Easier and better installation benefits us all as do improved stain resistance, self-healing, hydrophobicity, and other newer capabilities. Some films are optically clear and are made and shipped in ways that create a gloss that rivals corrected paint. And so forth.

One thing that hasn't changed - a good film can't make up for poor installation. Find a good installer and pay the asking price. It is worth it in the long run. More to come in a few days or weeks.

Gordon
PS, I'm a concurs guy and I like the use of a good film, properly installed.
It will be amazing to hear an industry man's comments on PPF myths and tips. Looking forward to your write up!
Old 03-09-2017, 09:13 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by beaverlake
Some films are optically clear and are made and shipped in ways that create a gloss that rivals corrected paint.
I would be interested in your take on the need for any wax over it. I am sceptical it does any good and may even be undesirable.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:50 AM
Speed2000
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Taking care of the film does require a bit of extra effort, you should put something on it to help keep bird dropping, bug etching, acid rain, ect from leaving a permanent marks on the surface. You can even clay bar the surface with most new films as long as you don't get too close to the edges. Best thing to do is ask the installer what they recommend since what works fine on one brand of film can adversely effect a different brand

Don't want to break any rules as far as what I can put up, but here are some tips I have put together for caring for the film.

http://www.speedfilm.net/care-and-maintenance
Old 03-09-2017, 10:01 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
I would be interested in your take on the need for any wax over it. I am sceptical it does any good and may even be undesirable.
....doesnt sound like Gary likes to clean/polish/wax his car.......Sounds to me like film is best for situations like this.

Quick Reply: Poll: Do you have clear bra / film on your 911? Would you get them again?