Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my nightmare picture request of 911 owners

Old 03-06-2017, 12:22 PM
realityintrudes
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink my nightmare picture request of 911 owners

I know what I am asking for goes against all that is holy… but I would like to see pictures of your 911 after it has been driven through dirt and/or mud. note: I am not asking anyone to purposefully sully their baby, but snap a picture after it has unavoidably been aesthetically compromised.

Better yet! For those who live where 911s are not rare, why not snap a pic of what someone else has done to their transportation (if you identify their exterior color). That way you don’t have to scrub pictorial evidence of your messy child from your phone with NSA level software.

I have been without a 911 since about 1989 (I try to block out the date), and long before phones that did more than make calls were readily available. My last child- a 1973 S done out with a 2.7L John Truman engine, had been repainted to some special VW light metallic blue, but it was principally a track beast (roll cage, etc) so the exterior was an afterthought. I used to carry my slicks on the roof with removable Sears cargo rails.

My dilemma:
• I live at the end of a private 0.6-mile old shale driveway that requires me to leave each day uphill. The off-camber turns through the woods result in dirt spray of various shades of brown, tan, taupe, gray and yuck.
• I cannot resist the challenge each morning (current Equinox 4cyl to 55, current Outback 3.6 to 65, past Foresters to 60, and my old 1973 911S easily 90).
• I live more than two hours to any Porsche dealership. My wife is disabled so getting away to look at colors (much less dirty them- Oh, the humanity!) is impractical.

Other color experiences to date:
2015 Macan S Sapphire Blue Metallic- one dry, local test drive down to the house made me realize I couldn’t live with myself if I got it;
current 2014 Chevy Equinox White Diamond Tricoat- light shale dust blends in, mud obvious but I don’t care on an Equinox;
current 2015 Outback 3.6R Limited Tungsten Metallic- hides it all fairly well (no, I’m not going to Paint To Sample);
multiple silver Foresters- the black bottom plastic cladding mess overrode whatever discoloration the dirt had on the paint color;
2000 Outback Green- nearly as bad as black when dirty;
also, I once had black 1974 Targa living in a city and the upkeep there was a killer.

I plan to order a C4 or C4S as my daily driver for anything under a couple inches of snow. I will have a separate set of rims with dedicated snows (hurray for TireRack). Realistically, it would rarely be washed (bless me Father in advance of my sin) except by the Almighty in my work parking lot.

I suspect the better choices for such a life would be:
White vs Carrara White Metallic; Rhodium Silver Metallic; or, GT Silver Metallic.
My research to date seems to indicate Agate Grey Metallic would be too dark vs the shale dust, as would even Graphite Blue Metallic, though neither as bad as black.

Hopefully what I am asking doesn’t get prosecuted as P-car ****.
Thank you in advance to all who help me re-achieve 911 bliss,
krh
Old 03-06-2017, 12:34 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

A group of friends decided to take some roads less traveled which lasted for a few hours. We passed some guys in 4x4's which waved us to go around..... and I think they fell out of their vehicles in disbelief that they got passed up by a Porsche and a Camero SS and a pretty new Audi.

Our cars thanked us when we came across a car wash.

The only problem I had was the occasional rock in the brake caliper which would emit a horrible screech once in a while.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:44 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Parked at the end of a dirt road, on the road home from buying it out of state...

(I am ashamed to post such filthy pics of my car. I washed it as soon as I got home!)

Last edited by Hurricane; 03-06-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:15 PM
realityintrudes
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=CSK 911 C4S;14008038]A group of friends decided to take some roads less traveled which lasted for a few hours. We passed some guys in 4x4's which waved us to go around..... and I think they fell out of their vehicles in disbelief that they got passed up by a Porsche and a Camero SS and a pretty new Audi.
Our cars thanked us when we came across a car wash.

Thanks for a quick response!
Are the first two 911 pics of grime on Rhodium Silver Metallic?
Also, will I need to expect my 911 hind-end to routinely dirty up like that as well as the sides?
krh
Old 03-06-2017, 01:20 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

It's a 13 C4S in Platinum Silver and the rear does get dusty/dirty more then the rest of the car.

If I was to do car protective film again I would get the rear bumper done especially the leading edge because mine is all chipped up from road debris.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:50 PM
Fenton
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black is not a good choice, nor from experience white (pretty obvious). but Agate grey did a reasonable job of hiding my frequently inflicted abuse.

Now where's that old scrubbing brush?
Old 03-06-2017, 06:35 PM
Fitcherama
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Graphite Blue plus general winter road funk...
Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2017, 12:32 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My Agate Grey seems to hide dust and dirt really well - up close of course it can look a mess but from a distance it's hard to tell.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:38 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fitcherama
Graphite Blue plus general winter road funk...

Dirt quite suits that colour!
Old 03-07-2017, 01:17 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

three weeks ago : my Lake Tahoe neighbor keeps her 997 cloth-topped Cab outdoors year round and yes , the Sierras have had record breaking snow this winter ...more than 75 FEET at summits of some ski resorts !

( even under that snow , there is only ONE car with that easily identified , iconic silhouette ...and did I say CLOTH-TOPPED ? Owner says there has been as much as 8 feet this season atop her car without it collapsing in ! I doubt Porsche tested it that way in the Arctic , LOL !!

Old 03-07-2017, 10:16 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 197 Posts

I had dead racoon parts on my front bumper the other night on my way home. It looked like gross meat and flesh stuck to the front of my car. I was too tired and lazy to clean it overnight and left it until the next day. Overnight it dried and turned into this hard congealed mess of guts which was almost impossible to remove without repeated use of bug and tar remover. I should have taken the guts off when it was fresh. Too bad I didn't take a photo, because this would have been the perfect place to show it off.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:27 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live on a gravel road. My car gets a little dusty but after a wash; it look's new again.
It used to drive me crazy, but I'm slowly getting over it.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:35 AM
thompalompa
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More snow. Again. 😖

Old 03-08-2017, 03:06 AM
amet
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 36 Posts

Few drops of rain

Old 03-08-2017, 05:48 AM
gaxor