Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe vs Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 03:14 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

The 991 convertible is the best of the 911 convertibles in terms of top operation and design. Unlike older versions, the roof collapses compactly without leaving a tall stack that's hard to look over out back, or making the car seem like it has an overly large rump. When closed, the top is snug, quiet and secure. It even looks pretty good when up. It opens quickly and easily at the touch of a button, and it deploys a cleverly designed wind blocker that is also motorized for convenience. Next to the old British roadster tops that could easily be flung back with a single arm motion, this is about as convenient as it can get.

Such convenience is important, because as the novelty of the retractable top wears off, the amount of your use for top down motoring is directly proportional to the speed and ease of use of the retract mechanism. Of course, there are those who leave the top down all season long, even when parked... until they're away from the car at lunch and a surprise rain shower soaks the interior.

However much I like top down motoring, and I really do, it can get old after awhile. I still have a convertible I drive on occasion, but opted for a coupe the last time around. It doesn't have the cool convertible top, but feels more secure for track days (and it is more secure), and while the lines of the 991 convertible are the best ever ... for a convertible ... the lines of a 911 coupe are still better to my eyes.

If you've never owned a convertible but like top down driving, I suggest you get one. Everyone who likes that type of driving should own one at least once in their lives. I've been fortunate to have had three convertibles (not all at once, and none of them Porsches), and enjoyed each one. I still have the third one, but as noted above, it's only for special occasion drives now.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:45 AM
shneapfla
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sexfiend
Cab is uglier though.
No - it's just a tad less pretty!
Old 03-06-2017, 07:48 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by KM1959
The OP mentioned that he has kids. The back seat room is much smaller in a cab than in a coupe and the seat back is nearly vertical which leaves no room for child seats or boosters. Not a problem in a coupe.
Is this true? I always look at the contour of the back seats and wonder how people fit a seat back there.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:11 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Is this true? .
Yes. The rear seat backs are very vertical. Less than a 90 degree angle.

Last edited by LexVan; 03-06-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:32 AM
nal13
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 43 Posts

The OP mentioned that he has kids. The back seat room is much smaller in a cab than in a coupe and the seat back is nearly vertical which leaves no room for child seats or boosters. Not a problem in a coupe.

Not true. One of the requirements when I ordered my cab was that the backseats accommodate car seats. Brought a car seat into the dealer and was able to comfortably install it into the latch system on a showroom car. Yes the back seat is more vertical but a car seat still fits.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:53 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
The first thing I do is start the motor.
The second thing I do is hit the Sport Plus button.
The third thing I do is open the top.

That's how I roll.
This! Although with the SmartTop module, I drop the top first.

I loved my 991 S Cab and thought I would just lease another when the term ended but then the Targa GTS came calling and I went that way and now get kind of the best of both worlds- a coupe and cab.
I live in AZ so the top is almost always down unless the sun is just beating down on me.
I have said this before, but as a surgeon, my day can be stressful but all I have do to just get in the car and drop the top and in a few seconds, I have a smile on my face and the stress just fades away...so by the time I get home I am good to go.

PS: I have tracked my Cab with no issues; plan to do the same with the Targa.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:04 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by mdkrp
This! Although with the SmartTop module, I drop the top first.

I loved my 991 S Cab and thought I would just lease another when the term ended but then the Targa GTS came calling and I went that way and now get kind of the best of both worlds- a coupe and cab.
I live in AZ so the top is almost always down unless the sun is just beating down on me.
I have said this before, but as a surgeon, my day can be stressful but all I have do to just get in the car and drop the top and in a few seconds, I have a smile on my face and the stress just fades away...so by the time I get home I am good to go.
Bingo!!!
Old 03-13-2017, 09:58 PM
erdrff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP here. I have decided to go with the Cab. I'll keep my RR to tool the kids around but living in Raleigh, I am fortunate to have weather that will permit top down driving often enough.

I saw this listing. What do you think I can get off of the price?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/691883569/overview?aff=share_text
Old 03-13-2017, 11:01 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

[QUOTE=erdrff;14029440]OP here. I have decided to go with the Cab. I'll keep my RR to tool the kids around but living in Raleigh, I am fortunate to have weather that will permit top down driving often enough.

I saw this listing. What do you think I can get off of the price?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3569/overview?

I live in Charlotte and have sat in that very car. I bought mine from them as well. maybe 3K off...
Old 03-14-2017, 09:40 AM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nal13
Not true. One of the requirements when I ordered my cab was that the backseats accommodate car seats. Brought a car seat into the dealer and was ableb to comfortably install it into the latch system on a showroom car. Yes the back seat is more vertical but a car seat still fits.
Did you put your child in that car seat and then have your wife makes herself comfortable in the front passenger seat? There's significantly more room in the coupe than the cab because the car seat can sit further back on the seat cushion. Glad it works for your family though.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:08 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

It's not much smaller. It's is smaller, but not "much" smaller. Yes, the squabs are more upright so if you are planning on a backed booster, the coupe is better. But the lower seats are the same and you're only giving up a few inches of width in the shoulder area at most.

My 6 year old is properly positioned on a booster cushion only and is fine. My 5' tall 10 year old is also fine with no booster.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:13 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Did you put your child in that car seat and then have your wife makes herself comfortable in the front passenger seat? There's significantly more room in the coupe than the cab because the car seat can sit further back on the seat cushion. Glad it works for your family though.
My wife is 5'10" and comfortable in front of my 5' son. We drove the coupe and cab back to back, literally got out of the cab and into the coupe, and there is not "significantly more room". Neither my wife nor either of my kids mentioned that they were significantly more comfortable in the coupe. It's a tight squeeze with both cars, but not all that different.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:52 AM
skywaterbanjo
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had 3 911s, all cabs. Living in Colorado in the summer and Scottsdale in the winter, I can't imagine not having the top down. In Colorado, the vistas in the mountains with the top down are spectacular. I, too, love the open air feeling.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:03 AM
Gil J Walker
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shneapfla
No - it's just a tad less pretty!
Am i the only one that thinks the cab looks way better. I went to buy a coupe and the cab was just way more attractive to me. I never thought this on any of the previous 911's
Old 03-23-2017, 12:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Gil J Walker
Am i the only one that thinks the cab looks way better. I went to buy a coupe and the cab was just way more attractive to me. I never thought this on any of the previous 911's
they did a great job on the 991 cab ... def the prettiest cab profile

Quick Reply: Coupe vs Convertible