Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe vs Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 04:06 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are on the fence---get the CAB---a coupe can NEVER act like a convertible(CAB), but a CAB can almost act like a coupe.....

Cheers
Old 03-03-2017, 04:08 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CDH911C2S
If you are on the fence---get the CAB---a coupe can NEVER act like a convertible(CAB), but a CAB can almost act like a coupe.....

Cheers
Agreed - old adage of go drive one... but most people are, or are not - cab people. I am and would not have it any other way.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:08 PM
TerryC4S
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by erdrff
I'm in the market for a 991.2 and can't decide if I want a convertible or not. I have always wanted a convertible and I think it's amazing thing to just be able to open the top and drive with the wind in your hair and the sky above you. When I was single, I used to ride a motorcycle. Now that I am married and have kids, I do not want to risk my life with a motorcycle. But I miss that open air driving. For those of you with a convertible, is it worth it? Do you drive it top down as often as you thought you would? If you had to go back, would you still do the convertible or stick with the coupe?
This is the exact dilemma I faced before buying my 991 cab. I was pursuing two paths. A coupe with PDK SC SPASM, the performance goodies. It would be a pure performance car. The other path was a cab with MT and convenience options like ventilated seats (I live in Florida). I looked at how I planned to drive the car and went with the cab. I have owned six convertible Porsches, 4 Boxster variants and 2 911s, plus 3 coupes. I realized the majority of my driving was top-down gear-rowing bliss. I knew the cab would still be fun for the track and spirited drives. So I went with the cab. Think about how you want to drive the car the most and go from there.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:17 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My '13 cab is my second 911 cabriolet(first cab was PDK and traded it for a MT) and I love it. Like you, I stopped riding motorcycles on the street, just too easy to get taken out.

The only reason the top is up is when it rains. The wind protection is excellent and you can really hear the exhaust sing. I think of it as a half cage. And when you see cabriolets on the street, the drivers always seem to having more fun than those in coupes!

Coupes may have the ultimate advantage in handling but the cabriolet is so good, the small difference is worth it.

Last edited by crossroads; 03-03-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:19 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by crossroads
My '13 cab is my first 911 and I love it. Like you, I stopped riding motorcycles on the street, just too easy to get taken out.

The only reason the top is up is when it rains. The wind protection is excellent and you can really hear the exhaust sing. I think of it as a half cage. And when you see cabriolets on the street, the drivers always seem to having more fun than those in coupes!

Coupes may have the ultimate advantage in handling but the cabriolet is so good, the small difference is worth it.
You don't consider your 993 a 911?
Old 03-03-2017, 04:35 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the best looking 911 is the coupe,with no sunroof or rear wiper. But I still would only buy the Cab version. All my 'sports cars' are, and always have been, Cabs. But then again are all only summer cars. In the bad weather months I have SUVs, trucks, wagons to drive.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:51 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Earlier post corrected. Can't multitask at work.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:53 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by sctanton52
I think the best looking 911 is the coupe,with no sunroof or rear wiper. But I still would only buy the Cab version. All my 'sports cars' are, and always have been, Cabs. But then again are all only summer cars. In the bad weather months I have SUVs, trucks, wagons to drive.

2 responses... I agree the coupe does look better but I'd much rather have a cab.

secondly - totally jealous of your Polestar!
Old 03-03-2017, 06:17 PM
philipatl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My GTS Cab pretty much had the top down the entire time. I found the car to be much tighter than I expected ..plus..you get to hear the wonderful noises coming from the back of the car a little better with top down.

Go Cab!
The following users liked this post:
Spectre65 (01-26-2022)
Old 03-03-2017, 06:28 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I live in Houston, and the weather right now is awesome for the Cab. Summers, you will want ventilated seats, but it is a different driving experience (closer to my old motorcycle days).

I'd say it depends on a few things. First, where do you live and what is the year-round weather like. Second, do you track the car.

I take my cab on trips to places where the weather is great (Fall trips in the Ozarks). Its an experience you can't get in a coupe.

I don't regret having a Cab, yes, a coupe is probably more rigid, but the cab ain't bad unless you are really, really pushing it you won't notice (as if on a track).

Luckily, I have a cab and a coupe....but I'd never not have a cab.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:30 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by GTorTT
I live in Houston, and the weather right now is awesome for the Cab. Summers, you will want ventilated seats, but it is a different driving experience (closer to my old motorcycle days).

I'd say it depends on a few things. First, where do you live and what is the year-round weather like. Second, do you track the car.

I take my cab on trips to places where the weather is great (Fall trips in the Ozarks). Its an experience you can't get in a coupe.

I don't regret having a Cab, yes, a coupe is probably more rigid, but the cab ain't bad unless you are really, really pushing it you won't notice (as if on a track).

Luckily, I have a cab and a coupe....but I'd never not have a cab.
even on a track - are you trying to have a car you enjoy or does your paycheck depend on a couple of seconds(likely a second or less) difference?
Old 03-03-2017, 07:22 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's what's great about the 911. You can choose a coupe, a cab, or targa. You'll know which one, they're all fine cars. I bought a coupe because it's what I wanted and, to me, it was the classic 911. However, if I had wanted a cab, I'm sure I'd be happy. When I need a convertible, I pull out my Super Seven.

Last edited by jsaviano; 03-03-2017 at 07:22 PM. Reason: fix error
Old 03-03-2017, 07:23 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by jsaviano
That's what's great about the 911. You can choose a coupe, a cab, or targa. You'll know which one, they're all fine cars. I bought a coupe because it's what I wanted and, to me, it was the classic 911. However, if I had wanted a cab, I'm sure I'd be happy. When I need a convertible, I pull out my Super Seven.
The classic Porsche is a cab
Old 03-03-2017, 09:16 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
The first thing I do is start the motor.
The second thing I do is hit the Sport Plus button.
The third thing I do is open the top.

That's how I roll.
With your Chicagoland location on your avatar... your post me made me wonder if this was you in your DD last December?

Last edited by StormRune; 03-03-2017 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-03-2017, 09:51 PM
rwschill
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Las Vegas, had a couple of Corvette verts, Porsche coupe now. Like the coupe better in this climate .

Quick Reply: Coupe vs Convertible