Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tint Windows ... ?

Old 02-28-2017, 09:44 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Tint Windows ... ?

I typically have my Porsche's windows tinted. I like the look.

Now ... I'm going to have a Targa4 GTS in Lava Orange ... wondering if Targa folk tint the windows?

Just tinting the side windows doesn't sound like it would look good without the rear HUGE window being tinted.

But, tinting that BIG window in the rear seems to obviate what the Targa was built to look like. Tinting it would make it look more coupe-like. Especially with the satin black roof bar the T4 has.

Right? What do you think? Anyone tint all the Targa windows.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:18 PM
RS911
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 60 Posts

I also have a Targa GTS, and yes I tinted all the windows. Be warned, if you decide to go the same route you need to know a few things about the rear window.

First, since the rear is already tinted and you desire a uniform look, you will need to choose a lighter tint for the rear than the rest of the windows.

Second tinting the rear is very difficult to do correctly, so look for an experienced tinter.

Third, remember the rear is curved and already tinted. This means you need to use a tint that will not shatter or crack the glass. I went with a lower grade tint to avoid this problem.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:29 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RS911
I also have a Targa GTS, and yes I tinted all the windows. Be warned, if you decide to go the same route you need to know a few things about the rear window.

First, since the rear is already tinted and you desire a uniform look, you will need to choose a lighter tint for the rear than the rest of the windows.

Second tinting the rear is very difficult to do correctly, so look for an experienced tinter.

Third, remember the rear is curved and already tinted. This means you need to use a tint that will not shatter or crack the glass. I went with a lower grade tint to avoid this problem.

Hope this helps.
That's all good information. I appreciate that.

I've seen few Targas ... and, only Online. There aren't many 991s out there with that configuration.

I didn't know the rear was much tinted. I tho't that would be needed with such a great expanse of glass back there. Otherwise the heat build up would be quite extensive.

Would you have any photos of your Targa's tinted glass for us to view? That'd be great if you did.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:49 PM
RS911
Racer

Here you go. All four windows (including windshield) are tinted.
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2017, 11:54 PM
RS911
Racer

Here is another picture, that might show the rear better. Mind you, I wanted a light tint and was more concerned about blocking out the UV rays.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
z168 (09-04-2022)
Old 03-01-2017, 12:03 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

thats a lite tint
Old 03-01-2017, 12:49 AM
RS911
Racer

Originally Posted by OKB
thats a lite tint
Yes it is. In California, tinting the front windshield is forbidden. So, I wanted a tint that was not noticeable. Also, I had a darker tint before, but was afraid the rear glass would overheat because of it.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:08 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Yes it is. In California, tinting the front windshield is forbidden. So, I wanted a tint that was not noticeable. Also, I had a darker tint before, but was afraid the rear glass would overheat because of it.
Excellent photos, thanks ! Just what I was looking for.

I think the tint looks great and does not distract from the Targa's design.

The LPD has 'a guy' that has tinted and clear bra'd a couple of my cars. He's done a great job IMO and I'll speak with him about the tint. I like the tint on my present Turbo Coupe, but it's pretty dark. We'll see.

Thanks again.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:43 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 197 Posts

I decided to not tint the windows on the Targa as I do with most of my coupes, because I sometimes drive with the roof down and the windows up, tinted windows would be too obvious.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:54 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KenTO
I decided to not tint the windows on the Targa as I do with most of my coupes, because I sometimes drive with the roof down and the windows up, tinted windows would be too obvious.
True that.

I've had a couple cabs. Never drove with the windows up. Looks dorky to me.
But, my SO liked to do that to keep her hair from blowing around. I told her to wear a hat.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:10 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Very Nice

Here is another picture, that might show the rear better. Mind you, I wanted a light tint and was more concerned about blocking out the UV rays.
Looks great---I went with a darker tint---next 911 will have a much lighter tint---and greater UV protection as you mentioned

Cheers
Old 03-01-2017, 04:59 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 654 Likes on 378 Posts

Here you go. All four windows (including windshield) are tinted.

This is perfect. Could I bother you for the name of the tint shop that did this? They did a fantastic job.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:26 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by JustBud
This is perfect. Could I bother you for the name of the tint shop that did this? They did a fantastic job.
Agree - this is nice and subtle

What percentage? Looks 50%
Old 03-01-2017, 05:46 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Drive for a few days without tinting the windows ...

I have always tinted my cars to keep HOTAtlanta heat out. When I took delivery of my 991.2 C2S, I noticed the window glasses from the factory come with a mild tint and so decided to wait for a few days before taking the plunge with a 35% film on top of it. In course of time I fell in love with the default mild tint look and completely skipped installing anything over it. Consider driving without additional tint for a few days, see how it suits your needs, tastes and weather before installing. That's my 2c ....
Old 03-01-2017, 10:22 PM
RS911
Racer

The shop that did it is Absolute Perfection in San Diego. Here is there web site http://apautospa.com/

They do have some well known car-nut celebrities out of Los Angeles as their customers. But I guess, this is too far for you. I will inquire about the tint type, percentage, etc. for you and hope to have an answer by tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tint Windows ... ?