Sponsored by:

Back in a manual!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 12:17 AM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Back in a manual!

For the past few years I've been back and forth between PDK and MT. Because of a nagging knee injury, shifting with a clutch became painful. So I compromised and went PDK. It was the first time since 1988 that I had an automatic. As much as I loved the PDK, however, I still missed a manual transmission.

Fast forward a couple of years and my knee feels much better. I've learned how not to aggravate it by avoiding things like running. Stick to my bicycle these days. As I was surfing the Porsche site for used cars, I came across a '13 4S cab with MT. And it was only about an hour away. I headed over to the dealership and as they say, the rest is history. I traded in my '14 4S cab and I'm back in a "proper" Porsche.

The best part is that I don't have sport chrono. No ugly wart and no rev matching.
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2017, 12:31 AM
Incendiary
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! I'm a little puzzled as to why you are pleased at lack of sport chrono, though. I thought most people said it was still a must have even in MTs?
Old 02-26-2017, 12:48 AM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 520 Likes on 197 Posts

I found heel-toe really hard on my right knee (which has a torn meniscus). I actually like the rev matching on my 991.2 in sport mode with sport chrono.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:02 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

For those who love it, there's just no substitute for manual. One day Porsche will dump it entirely and the last manual cars will be worth a gazillion dollars - like mint 993 Turbos.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:57 AM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Congrats on re-joining the 9% crowd...

For those who enjoy driving a 3-pedal car, it is certainly nice to have the option of owning one. The only downside is the availability of cars in the used market.

With regard to the SC, or any other option for that matter, buying a used 911 in a 9% market leaves us with fewer choices. It's nice when it all comes together.

Enjoy your car, driving weather is upon us.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:00 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,202 Likes on 2,715 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Congrats! I'm a little puzzled as to why you are pleased at lack of sport chrono, though. I thought most people said it was still a must have even in MTs?
I get it.

When you have rev-matching, it's hard to resist the temptation to leave it on. At least it was for me. It just works so damn well. But when you run it, it smooths out upshifts and downshifts to the point where it's like a poor man's PDK with a stick instead of a paddle.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:07 AM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't get me wrong, rev matching and PDK for that matter are great features, just not what I wanted in a MT. And I never really appreciated different throttle mapping in a MT.

I've had sport chrono before and liked it with PDK. But why do they have to stick a clock/stopwatch right in the middle of the dash?

Trending Topics

Old 02-26-2017, 09:15 AM
NF4710
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 115 Posts

CONGRATS! The manual really lets one appreciate the trouble Porsche took to get the shifter and pedal placement just right. I did try the rev matching but found it took away from the fun. Lucky to get one w sport chrono (I like the "wart") and without rev matching.

Cheers,
NF
Old 02-26-2017, 09:15 AM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
For those who enjoy driving a 3-pedal car, it is certainly nice to have the option of owning one. The only downside is the availability of cars in the used market.
But the upside is we are somewhat rare buyers and therefore can get pretty decent discounts on those cars that typically are slow movers.

Local dealer to me has two fantastically optioned 2016 cars that would in PDK form have been long since sold. With a stick in the middle they are languishing after 16 months. I can only assume they are motivated to move those cars.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:26 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Local dealer to me has two fantastically optioned 2016 cars that would in PDK form have been long since sold. With a stick in the middle they are languishing after 16 months. I can only assume they are motivated to move those cars.
As a corollary to the manual aspect of that, it also suggests that the initial negative reaction to turbo charging has subsided. I sense people are beginning to realize that power - esp. low end power - trumps nostalgia.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:43 AM
Minesh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
But the upside is we are somewhat rare buyers and therefore can get pretty decent discounts on those cars that typically are slow movers.

Its funny you say that the USED sticks move so slow in your area. My experience was the opposite.

I had been looking for over 6 months for a manual and PDK's were very plentiful, the dealerships were pushing me to take a hot deal on PDK always saying "You know the PDK is faster" but when I found a stick that checked all the boxes they often had those cars priced above the PDK which had a higher MSRP.

To top it off dealers were less willing to deal on a used stick then the 10 PDK's they had available. Heck if I didn't purchase my car the day I did there was already another Renlister waiting to take it off the dealerships hands. The car had only been on the lot 3 days and wasn't even through CPO or listed on the web site.

I completely understand the PDK attraction and science but in my mind for a weekend car the engagement of a Manual 991 can't be beat in the fun category IMHO.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:54 AM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Maybe its a market thing. The '16s I referenced are new and I know of a few more locally that are sitting. I just dont see PDK cars sit in the same way / for the same length of time.

I bought mine that way - it was a leftover '16 and clearly the fact it was a manual was keeping it on the lot. It was good for me!
Old 02-26-2017, 10:10 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

Good on you. I specifically ordered a manual without sport chrono and it will be here in June. While I looked for a used one for quite a while finding a manual in a decent color combination (e.g.; not black) with options i did want was well nigh impossible.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:16 AM
GT3FZS
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 92 Posts

Having just bought a 2013 MT, I have to say I love it, particularly rev matching, and sharper throttle response in sport plus. Drove 3 PDK cars before buying the manual, liked PDK, and was close to going with two, but when Hayley at Hennessy in Atlanta called, I jumped on the deal. No regrets, but as always, to each his own!
Old 02-26-2017, 10:33 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Congrats! Well done!
Manual = There is no substitute!

Quick Reply: Back in a manual!