Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back in a manual!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 10:21 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I agree that I would not compromise. The 2 trans even though sharing some parts are totally different in driving. If you are an MT person then a PDK just won't cut it and that is not a slam to a PDK just the reality of the 2 technologies.
We don't have many MT'S to choose from because new and old Porsche buyers are moving to the PDK trans for whatever reason. I'm just glad Porsche continues to offer for now the MT option for those of us that prefer. Voting with $'s is what motivates any car maker.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:42 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Just my own opinion:

If you want a DD and encounter frequent traffic, then get a PDK (though I did the traffic thing in a 6 speed Boxster for 10 years).

For pleasure driving, if you claim to be a driving aficionado with above average skills, get a manual and learn to use it well. There's a reason many of us admire concert pianists and others who can do marvelous things with analog instruments.

And for those who say PDK is faster on the track, will you also embrace "steering assist" that can follow the optimum line? When do you become just a passenger?
Old 03-02-2017, 01:28 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
Good on you. I specifically ordered a manual without sport chrono and it will be here in June. While I looked for a used one for quite a while finding a manual in a decent color combination (e.g.; not black) with options i did want was well nigh impossible.
Agreed.. In fact I was initially in the market for a 997.2 in those specs and could not find one... Well there were a few with tons of miles and $10K over market...All black, you are right !!! It became a joke when a sales guy would call me, I'd reply "I bet it's black" and was right all the time !

That is how I ended up with a 991 instead, my color (See left), no dash wart (but sports mode which I recommend if only to smooth the idle and the extra cabin noise), and pretty much NOTHING else... My dream car - except it wasn't a 997.2. I'm a minimalist kinda guy, I want to drive, least amount of help or electronic doodads that ultimately break and cost $$ to repair. My mechanic and the dealer both commented they'd never seen a 991 as option-deprived as mine, i.e. stick, no sunroof even, most buttons blank ;-) but they also both said that's how they'd order it themselves too...
We're a dying breed !

Amusingly I now much prefer the 991 handling to the 997s, the only caveat is I am not a fan of the MT gearbox's ratios and higher gears... I think that car could benefit from shorter gears 1 thru 5 and don't like the feel/motion of the 5-6 shift (seems like it's not a straight shot and hitting the 7th lockout), nor the downshift from 7 which takes you too easily to the 3/4 plane - but I solved that by never using 7 ;-)
Old 03-02-2017, 03:01 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by crossroads
Regarding 7th gear, I've used it more than I thought I would. I throw it in 7th when I'm cruising on the expressway and its not too tall. I don't use 7th except on the expressway.
Me too. Car/engine gets really quiet in 7th at 120 (kms/hr) . Nice if youre going a long way. Dont use it much but it is fun to have another gear to go down from....I love rev matching downshifts.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:05 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
I've heard that if you heel-toe you can override or defeat the rev marching feature.

I went from a .1 manual to a .2 PDK.

I agree if you want a manual, you're going to want to heel-toe, so ordering without the SC may be the way to go. You'll still have a "Sport button" which will Justine for enhanced throttle mapping.

I'm surprised people like the rev matching so much in the manual - yes it's cool but it also takes some of the skill out of keeping the car balanced, which I think is what you'd be looking for in manual.

Manuals are awesome, it's sad they're hard to come by and the popularity of the 911R, GT4 and Boxster Spyder kind of says it all - given a choice that's what a lot of us would want.

That being said, I'm trying to embrace the new technology and like everything it has it's pros and cons. Trust me - if you're a skilled driver you're connected to the car - at leisure or at speed, it's up to you as the driver to exploit the positives and minimize the negatives. Driving a car that does 0-60 in around 3 seconds while in "manual" mode in sport+ is a lot of fun -the feeling of the transmission banging into the engine with its mounts on the firmest setting is like hearing and feeling Thor bang his hammer against an anvil.
Me too. Strange.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:07 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

Have to admit I did order some other options....the sport exhaust (the wife says you want to pay $3K to make it louder??), the rear wheel steering and the axle lift (a must for my driveway) PASM and the...ahem....Burmeister. But Sport Chrono was (IMO) a waste of money- $2K for rev matching? After I spent all those years learning to heel and toe? And I thought the wart was useless- had it in a 997 and GT3 and I could use it to....I dunno... time traffic lights? It's useless for actual lap timing.

Your comment on the ratios says it all. I had them changed in the 993 because they were way too long. The car came alive......
Old 03-02-2017, 06:04 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
I'm surprised people like the rev matching so much in the manual - yes it's cool but it also takes some of the skill out of keeping the car balanced, which I think is what you'd be looking for in manual.
I didn't think that I would like the rev matching, but I love it. Truthfully, I rarely heel/toe around the city. Kind of hard to do when you aren't going very fast and not applying the brake hard. However, it's cool to hear that throttle blip with every shift. The only thing I wish is that they had a mode where you could totally disable it.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:11 AM
Atlgator
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3FZS
Having just bought a 2013 MT, I have to say I love it, particularly rev matching, and sharper throttle response in sport plus. Drove 3 PDK cars before buying the manual, liked PDK, and was close to going with two, but when Hayley at Hennessy in Atlanta called, I jumped on the deal. No regrets, but as always, to each his own!
After years of lurking finally joined the forum, but having just joined I am unable to send PMs yet. So....how was your experience at Hennessy? Would you recommend working with Hayley again? I live in Atlanta and trying to do some more homework before I go look at a few cabs they have available.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:02 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Yep, enjoying the MT in my '17, AND the sport chrono. I heel-toed for years on numerous sports cars, but must admit that I love that throttle blip.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:25 PM
GT3FZS
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Hennessy

Can't say enough good things about Hennessy, Hayley or the staff I dealt with. Professional, pleasant, no pressure, and fun to get to know.
Buying from a dealer, and a CPO car, I probably paid a premium, but was very satisfied after the sale. They traded my 2014 Stingray, sight us seen and offered more than any other dealer I talked with.
Feel free to PM me, and I will give you my contact info if you want to talk in more detail. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Atlgator
After years of lurking finally joined the forum, but having just joined I am unable to send PMs yet. So....how was your experience at Hennessy? Would you recommend working with Hayley again? I live in Atlanta and trying to do some more homework before I go look at a few cabs they have available.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:02 PM
titanflyer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was so lucky. I am one of those non conforming porsche buyers who couldn't drop 130K cash on a car, so I had to go used to buy a 911. I searched for quite a while for what I wanted, which I consider to be an enthusiast car. I didn't want sunroof, I wanted sport exhaust, I wanted SC, and what I wanted most of all was the manual. I found a CPO 6K mile car that was from a known owner to my dealership. I LOVE everything about it other than keeping a black car clean.. lol. Throttle blip is AWESOME... my feet are too big or my knees don't like bending, but heel toe is tough for me.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:33 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

To the manual guys - is the Porsche linkage/actuation, cable or rod based.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:27 AM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Both, two cables (gating and shifting) and a lever/rod mechanism.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:26 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 549 Posts

Manuals are a weird thing at dealers. New cars might sit longer, but used cars move quick. Especially out here in California. When I acquired my 991, the dealer would not budge on the price at all. I think in the long run Manual Cars will hold their values a bit better. At least from what I have observed in every other used performance car I window shopped for.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:12 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I've had more than a few Porsches and several other sports cars ... all were MT. My last MT Porsche was a 997 Turbo cab. I really liked that car and hung on to it longer than usual because the 991 Turbo cars were PDK only.

But ... took the plunge with my present '15 Turbo. It is fast. And, if you DD in traffic, it's much nicer to drive than a MT ... but, I don't. I find it quite quick, but uninspiring to drive.

So, when I found that the GTS cars had MT option, I plunked down a deposit on a T4 GTS.

I really missed the MT so much that I picked up a WRX MT car that we tuned to 320 rw hp. It's my 'winter car' and actually enjoy driving it more than the Turbo. Can't wait to get back into a MT Porsche.

Quick Reply: Back in a manual!