Sponsored by:

Ownership after 18 months + rant

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 01:56 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Twodan
Surprised with beautiful weather here this weekend, and most of the snow melted. Put my wind breaker over my sweater, fired up the car, dropped the top and cruised a few hours dodging puddles. I do keep it clean, but really, how could I pass up 75 degrees yesterday?
Lol....I couldn't wait and I swapped out my winter tire set with my summer one! Weather is too nice...

I think winter is done!
Old 02-26-2017, 02:14 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
Without wishing to drag us off topic, what are the incoming/outgoing bikes?
Sold a KTM 1290 Superduke R. Am buying a KTM 1290 Super Adventure R.

Kind of on topic because the 911 killed the backroad sporting fun of the Superduke. My mc roots are dirt riding and I also have a KTM 500 EXC dirt bike. The new bike will be for roads and easy off road. Unknown whether I will end up liking it or not. The Superduke was a truly great motorcycle, no doubt. Currently a big KTM fan.

I was very very surprised just how fast my 911 can go around corners. Yes no leaning like on a bike, but less risk too. The Superduke could accelerate faster but not dramatically so, and the 911 has higher top speed-not that I will ever go that fast.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:16 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Lol....I couldn't wait and I swapped out my winter tire set with my summer one! Weather is too nice...

I think winter is done!
Nice Sunday in Seattle. 34 degrees and rain.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:39 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Off topic but I'm part of the orange mafia with a KTM 500 EXC too.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:52 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlbraptor
Sounds like most of us are OCD about keeping our cars clean.
I know I am.....
Ditto. I'm not happy unless my cars are spotless. Every time I take it out I expect it to get a little dirty, but once I get home I have an overwhelming desire to wash it again. It's a sickness, and now I'm at the point where sometimes I don't drive it just because I don't want it to get dirty again. I truly miss the days when I had an on-site auto detailer in the parking garage at work.

R_Rated, I feel for you, I'm in the same boat as you. I've got a heavily modified IS350 that I daily drive, but the driving experience is nowhere near that of a 911. I'm OCD about keeping the miles low so I rarely drive 911 to work since I have a 35 mile round trip, and to make matters worse we no longer have covered parking there. The only silver lining to this grey cloud is that when I do drive the 911, it feels all the more special. I almost equate it to not banging your lady for a few weeks. When you do it all the time it starts to feel normal, but when you get it in after waiting a while it feels extra good.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:06 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dflowerz
Sold a KTM 1290 Superduke R. Am buying a KTM 1290 Super Adventure R.

Kind of on topic because the 911 killed the backroad sporting fun of the Superduke. My mc roots are dirt riding and I also have a KTM 500 EXC dirt bike. The new bike will be for roads and easy off road. Unknown whether I will end up liking it or not. The Superduke was a truly great motorcycle, no doubt. Currently a big KTM fan.

I was very very surprised just how fast my 911 can go around corners. Yes no leaning like on a bike, but less risk too. The Superduke could accelerate faster but not dramatically so, and the 911 has higher top speed-not that I will ever go that fast.
Interesting. I'm on a BMW R1200GS, which I like for touring and if I ever have to really get somewhere, but the Porsches have kind of killed the backroad buzz for me as well. I love the bike when I'm on it but don't look forward to it like I do with the cars. Am slightly eyeing up a Yamaha MT-10...

The leaning and the not being able to see the vehicle do make bike riding feel like flying in a way a car can never match, but I do like being able to wear regular clothes, listen to music and just get in the thing and go!
Old 02-26-2017, 06:16 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Used to do group rides that started at a BMW shop and came close to buying a GS, but never did. Love the 500 for dirt. Very fast and nimble with very good suspension. A real joy to ride fast. Not sure if I will end up liking the 1290 Adventure R, or will find it too heavy.

Agree about the 911. Nice to just jump in and go.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:24 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

OK, might as well go with the off-topic-flow here...

Currently a big KTM fan...
Huge KTM fan here as well... Currently have a 950 Adventure, 950 Super Enduro, 450 XCW Six-Days. Some awesome trips on those bikes!

I've ridden the newer KTM Adventures, but LOVELOVELOVE the older original 950 series, especially the Super Enduro which is hands down the best big dual-sport I've ever rode, and I've pretty much rode them all... Once the carbs are dialed in, they are magic IMHO, and the original 950's are just more off-road oriented than the newer bikes.

The latest 1190 Adventure seems to be going the way of the big BMW GS's, which is to say more for Starbucks-to-Starbucks than Paris-to-Dakar. If you are fortunate enough find yourself a 950 Super Enduro, I can pretty much guarantee it's a bike you will keep forever.
Attached Images   

Last edited by pfbz; 02-26-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:02 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Rode behind a 950 SE down in Baja. Got a face full of rocks! Glad I had good gear on. Serious power on those things. So yeah, Austria and Germany are getting all my dollars lately......LOVE MY PORSCHE 911 (back on topic).
Old 02-26-2017, 09:05 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Rode behind a 950 SE down in Baja. Got a face full of rocks! Glad I had good gear on. Serious power on those things.
They definitely can be serious rock-chuckers, especially with certain tires and overzealous riders...

Linking the off-topic and on-topic, I have a crazy idea of finding a salvage 911 turbo and turning it into a modern interpretation of a Paris-Dakar-Style off road capable 911.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:10 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Seems you have found a project for both you and the original poster, which sounds awesome.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:36 PM
KWP1911
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Real world problems.

Drive the dam thing. You could be 6feet under tomorrow.
Yep! Then he'd be leaving a nicely preserved car for the next man.

I've never understood the buy-the-car-keep-it-in-the-garage-to-look-at-it crowd.

I don't have a 911 yet, but I have an M5, Corvette, Cayenne and 2 motorcycles. I don't think twice about miles on any of them. When I buy the 911, it'll be the same.

Last edited by KWP1911; 02-26-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:38 PM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
Interesting. I'm on a BMW R1200GS, which I like for touring and if I ever have to really get somewhere, but the Porsches have kind of killed the backroad buzz for me as well. I love the bike when I'm on it but don't look forward to it like I do with the cars. Am slightly eyeing up a Yamaha MT-10...

The leaning and the not being able to see the vehicle do make bike riding feel like flying in a way a car can never match, but I do like being able to wear regular clothes, listen to music and just get in the thing and go!
I have a R1200 GS also. It is nice.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:41 PM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
OK, might as well go with the off-topic-flow here...

Huge KTM fan here as well... Currently have a 950 Adventure, 950 Super Enduro, 450 XCW Six-Days. Some awesome trips on those bikes!

I've ridden the newer KTM Adventures, but LOVELOVELOVE the older original 950 series, especially the Super Enduro which is hands down the best big dual-sport I've ever rode, and I've pretty much rode them all... Once the carbs are dialed in, they are magic IMHO, and the original 950's are just more off-road oriented than the newer bikes.

The latest 1190 Adventure seems to be going the way of the big BMW GS's, which is to say more for Starbucks-to-Starbucks than Paris-to-Dakar. If you are fortunate enough find yourself a 950 Super Enduro, I can pretty much guarantee it's a bike you will keep forever.
Beauties !!!
Old 02-27-2017, 07:49 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
It's not about the depreciation. I've seriously gone to therapy (for other issues) and growing up we never had much, including food at times. My OCD has a lot to do with taking care of things and making them last. My car is the pinnacle of my things that truly are my space. The family has taken ove my house other than the cigar lounge.

I don't worry about the depreciation.... got it CPO for a song and paid cash. Resale only matters when there is a transaction.
Question is, will you be able to not worry about the 987/944 and let the 991 be the garage queen while getting your beat down done?

Quick Reply: Ownership after 18 months + rant