Sponsored by:

Ownership after 18 months + rant

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 02:16 PM
dloines
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VWfamily
As above. The 991 is certainly not a collectors car or appreciable asset. Buy it, drive it, sell it, repeat. We are lucky to be in our situation. Those who can buy several "toys", more power too you!
I agree 100%, you will appreciate it more if you drive it!. I tried that once on a Harley, and decided to ride it an ended up with 113K miles on that bike, never regretted riding the damn thing at all, lots of great rides/memories, after 12 years I traded it in for one of their new CVO models and got 50% of what I paid for the old bike on trade (not bad despite mileage bike was in mint condition). Based on that I plan to do the same to my 991, I buy to drive or ride, a poster is good if you just want to look at......
Old 02-25-2017, 02:39 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

I drive my 991.2 Targa everywhere as my DD and it is now covered in road salt, I don't care, I just get it washed every 2 weeks. I take it to the grocery store, work, etc. Everything is fixable. The only thing I refuse to do is eat or let anyone eat in my car.

Not driving your car is like saving your supermodel girlfriend for her next boyfriend.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:43 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
I drive my 991.2 Targa everywhere as my DD and it is now covered in road salt, I don't care, I just get it washed every 2 weeks. I take it to the grocery store, work, etc. Everything is fixable. The only thing I refuse to do is eat or let anyone eat in my car.

Not driving your car is like saving your supermodel girlfriend for her next boyfriend.
Whenever I'm in mine, there is a lit cigar in my hand 75% of the time! No eating but coffee and cigars are encouraged.

The other day my wife of 3 years says to me..." you've had 7 cars since I've known you. Don't you think that is. Little much?" Me: " I've been keeping them(2 at a time) for about 2 years. That's not so bad?" The 991 is a keeper and will only be supplemented
Old 02-25-2017, 02:52 PM
wsjchoi
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Drive it and rev the nuts off of it!
I only get to drive mine Saturday evening and Sunday, hard to avoid speeding tickets with PSE...
Old 02-25-2017, 02:52 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 250 Posts

This must be a new record for the number of humblebrags in a post.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:56 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
My 991 is the best car I've ever owned and I love driving and preserving her but sometimes wish I bought something a little less special/nice.
The reality is that a 991 is going to depreciate a ton regardless of whether you put miles on it, so you might as well enjoy driving it as well as looking at it...

Fortunately you avoided much of the depreciation hit by buying a used HFS car, but make no mistake, there is still plenty of depreciation to come.

The few thousand $ premium you might get for having a pristine car a few years from now will not offset the loss of enjoyment IMHO.

My recipe for gearhead enjoyment is
  1. Buy a gorgeous used car with a huge chunk of depreciation taken out of it already.
  2. Dive the hell out of it
  3. Sell 1-3 years down the road.
  4. Repeat with something different.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:24 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

I can relate R Rated. We have had our 991s for the same duration, and we have almost the same # of posts on RL! I've only racked up 5K miles on mine. I don't really look at the mileage, but we have had a wet winter here in California and I only have a two mile round trip commute to work. If I ever have time to clean my car, I would rather be out driving it. I pay a good careful detail guy to do it every 3-4 months and just try to keep the car wiped down after I drive it otherwise.
Jim
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2017, 03:30 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
My brotha' from another motha', I feel your pain. I picked up a 987.2 Spyder last August. It seems to have cured the itch. For now...

DaveGee
I love that garage, but I have to ask.....are you a single guy Dave? I would love to buy an air cooled Porsche or Ferrari as a third car but I would have to ask my wife to park her SUV outside. I wonder if she would be ok with that?
J
Old 02-25-2017, 03:41 PM
dmtsc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My .02 I have my first really nice car on order, PTS 911S. I'm just an average middle income soon to be 49 year old guy guy with 2 kids who happened to lose his father March of last year. My excuse was a 50th birthday gift to myself. I plan on driving the crap out of the car, you never know what life will throw at you. I might die before I get the car or I could get sick/crippled or numerous other issue that won't let me enjoy the car or the rest of my life so I plan to live it to the fullest extent as I'm able. This all came about after my dads death and realizing why not! I've finally put myself in the position to afford the car and I've written the value/cost of the car as part of living a good life.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:46 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I love that garage, but I have to ask.....are you a single guy Dave? I would love to buy an air cooled Porsche or Ferrari as a third car but I would have to ask my wife to park her SUV outside. I wonder if she would be ok with that?
J
good luck with that!
Old 02-25-2017, 03:49 PM
R_Rated
Banned

We have a carport. Live in a posh part of town but in a modest home... 3 bed/2 bath with a mac daddy kitchen and awesome den that I remodeled myself. I've had employees over for dinner when in town and they all have bigger houses With almost an acre of land, I want a huge garage in the back I love it and between cooking and future garage plans( plus I have a smoking lounge attached to the carport) it really meets all our needs and lifestyle. The wife is petitioning to move in order to have a higher % of income dedicated to a mortgage. Not because she cares about having a nicer house... but strategy to mute the ability to afford a garage which she knows will lead to filling with more cars and projects[cars].

My daily gets washed almost weekly from sleeping outside.

Dave, you have such an ideal stable! The 50th is my favorite 911 trim and the spyder is my favorite 981 trim
Old 02-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Madmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 987S and 991.1 GTS. Mileage is split 60:40 in favor of the 911. Cayman feels more analogue, smaller and handles like a go cart, manual. I really think it's the best of both worlds in P ownership.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:14 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated

The other day my wife of 3 years says to me..." you've had 7 cars since I've known you. Don't you think that is. Little much?" Me: " I've been keeping them(2 at a time) for about 2 years. That's not so bad?"

Maybe she's worried about your trade in rate when it comes to women??
Old 02-25-2017, 06:28 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you already made up your mind. Get that 987 and ride it hard.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:39 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 255 Posts

>>Bents; This must be a new record for the number of humblebrags in a post.<<

Hah - really, that's your takeaway from this thread? It's not bragging until someone includes a picture of their watch. It's an enthusiasts site - I say bring em' on!

DaveGee

Quick Reply: Ownership after 18 months + rant