Sponsored by:

Carrera cab vs Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 06:14 PM
Incendiary
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera cab vs Boxster

I'm thinking of joining the Porsche fold and would be looking to get a 2018 MY. I want a manual transmission convertible and am trying to decide between the Boxster and the Carrera cabriolet. (I thought I'd like the Targa 4 but have ruled it out.)

Anyone owned both who can weigh in? I realize they're somewhat different cars but would like to hear thoughts and experiences, please. Which was more fun? Which would you buy again?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-19-2017, 06:32 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

If you don't need the back seats I'd get a Boxster. I had a 987 base for 3 years and it was so much fun, I'm on my third 911, one was a 997 C2S Cab.

The Boxster is everything Porsche was and should be - a light weight car that use its power efficiently. "When I looked around and could not quite find the car I wanted, I decided to build it myself." Ferry Porsche
Old 02-19-2017, 06:40 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 981 Box-S we have has the 6 MT. It is a very engaging and super fun car to drive. I have not driven a 911 MT in many years, all the recent 991.1/2 drives have been in PDK cars. The 991 models I have driven have mostly been the 991.1 GTS models, on European road trips. They are more powerful, and faster, but I would not say any more fun to drive. The 991 rear mini-seat is nice for little kids and dogs, but the Boxsters frunk/trunk combo is also nice for hauling stuff. The last Euro drive we did was in a 981 Box-GTS, the wife got the frunk, I got the trunk, it worked out great. We were on the road for over 3 weeks, it was nice when you did a daytime stop all your luggage stayed hidden from the public. There was only the odd time on that trip I yearned for the extra power of a 991, that was only when trying to pass someone.

I also got the 991.2 TTS Cab, which I know is a stupid expensive stupid fast rocket that I will hardly ever put my foot fully down.

Bang for your buck I would go with the Boxster. Some folks bitch about sound from the new 718 four banger, but for me that is not an issue.

You can't go wrong with either
Old 02-19-2017, 06:42 PM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Coming from a 981S and having had loaner boxsters, as fun as they are to drive, the 911 is iconic and will always be better.

I'd go for the 911.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

The boxster with the h6 was one of the most fun cars to drive ever made. But if it were me, Porsche could keep the 4-banger. Go with the 911.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:53 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,200 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Do you have a 911 itch? There is no substitute.

That said, the new Boxster is loads of fun - it's really quick. From a "fun to drive" aspect, the Boxster is actually a little more fun to drive than the Carrera. But that's subjective. The 911 is faster and it looks alot better.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:00 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Depends on what you want. Image, fun to drive, sound, back seats?

For me, the 981 Boxster S with a manual is the ****. Best Porsche ever made for under 200k. If you want the icon, the image, status or commuter car etc, get the 911.

Not a fan of the 718 turbo with a 4 cylinder.

I've driven so many Porsches I can't remember them all but the 981 Boxster with the top down, manual transmission, sport chrono and PSE......nothing in the world is better. Nothing.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:12 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 920 Likes on 531 Posts

they are both great cars
911 feels more substantial when you are sitting in it and driving it, and has a little bit more power. I like the dash on 911 better
I like the mid engine feel of Boxter , feels a little lighter , but sometime you feel you need more power
I am a believer in trying very thing if you can . Lease one and 2 years later lease the other one. The cost of ownership will be a little higher but certainly worth it
Old 02-19-2017, 07:14 PM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, surprisingly among the loads of testers/loaners I got to drive the BASE 981 boxster for me was most fun due to being able to rev it so much with that 6cyl exhaust everywhere...however, I got tired of the NARP stigma and got the 911 and really can't say I'd go back.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:30 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

Question is impossible to answer. It's a deeply personal choice that requires honest soul searching about the your ego and your likely usage of the car.

I've had the good fortune to drive many P-cars and I can now make an informed decision for myself. Boxster wouldn't cut it for me.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:52 PM
Incendiary
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great responses so far. This will be a third car for now, possibly seguing into a second car. We have an E350 wagon and an aging 3-series. My wife dailies the wagon and I daily the ZHP.

I'd like a light, tossable, fun car for the curves. I don't care about power and straight line speed, really. Whether I get the Boxster or 911 now, later in life I'd plan to get the other. I don't care too much about image or the NARP thing. I could see the back seats being useful for my two young kids and I'd probably get the 911 if I wasn't planning on keeping and trying to stretch out the useful life of my E46. The car I really wanted, truth be told, was the Miata. I'd probably get the Boxster without asking any questions if it weren't for the reputation that the 911 has as being God's gift to car enthusiasts. The Boxster seemed fun and the 911 a little sanitized during my test drives. (I drive about 6/10 on normal commutes, generally don't mash on the throttle, and prefer to take curves and ramps quickly.) Hence my moment of doubt and question for those who've had substantial seat time in both.

With the above said, does that impact anyone's advice for me?
Old 02-19-2017, 08:58 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

Sounds like Boxster to me. For fun street driving it's one of the best ever.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:10 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Thanks for the great responses so far. This will be a third car for now, possibly seguing into a second car. We have an E350 wagon and an aging 3-series. My wife dailies the wagon and I daily the ZHP.

I'd like a light, tossable, fun car for the curves. I don't care about power and straight line speed, really. Whether I get the Boxster or 911 now, later in life I'd plan to get the other. I don't care too much about image or the NARP thing. I could see the back seats being useful for my two young kids and I'd probably get the 911 if I wasn't planning on keeping and trying to stretch out the useful life of my E46. The car I really wanted, truth be told, was the Miata. I'd probably get the Boxster without asking any questions if it weren't for the reputation that the 911 has as being God's gift to car enthusiasts. The Boxster seemed fun and the 911 a little sanitized during my test drives. (I drive about 6/10 on normal commutes, generally don't mash on the throttle, and prefer to take curves and ramps quickly.) Hence my moment of doubt and question for those who've had substantial seat time in both.

From what you posted, get the Boxster.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:11 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by sexfiend
Yeah, surprisingly among the loads of testers/loaners I got to drive the BASE 981 boxster for me was most fun due to being able to rev it so much with that 6cyl exhaust everywhere...however, I got tired of the NARP stigma and got the 911 and really can't say I'd go back.
What is a "NARP?"
Old 02-19-2017, 09:12 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,200 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary

Been there, done that. One of the primary reasons I sold my GT4 was not having a backseat. Don't know about you, but I love taking my wife and kid on drives with me. For me, the GT4 (or any strict two-seater) is an anti-social experience.

Quick Reply: Carrera cab vs Boxster