Sponsored by:

Carrera cab vs Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 09:14 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Thanks for the great responses so far. This will be a third car for now, possibly seguing into a second car. We have an E350 wagon and an aging 3-series. My wife dailies the wagon and I daily the ZHP.

I'd like a light, tossable, fun car for the curves. I don't care about power and straight line speed, really. Whether I get the Boxster or 911 now, later in life I'd plan to get the other. I don't care too much about image or the NARP thing. I could see the back seats being useful for my two young kids and I'd probably get the 911 if I wasn't planning on keeping and trying to stretch out the useful life of my E46. The car I really wanted, truth be told, was the Miata. I'd probably get the Boxster without asking any questions if it weren't for the reputation that the 911 has as being God's gift to car enthusiasts. The Boxster seemed fun and the 911 a little sanitized during my test drives. (I drive about 6/10 on normal commutes, generally don't mash on the throttle, and prefer to take curves and ramps quickly.) Hence my moment of doubt and question for those who've had substantial seat time in both.

With the above said, does that impact anyone's advice for me?
Get the Miata mx-5 in club trim. After owning 3 911,s and various other cars . I can say that on American roads a miata is the best bang for the buck. new ND is amazing. If living in Europe than porsche all the way. Narrow body 911 to be specific and naturally aspirated a big plus. If you care about impressing friends than a turbo s or gt car is a hoot.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Thanks for the great responses so far. This will be a third car for now, possibly seguing into a second car. We have an E350 wagon and an aging 3-series. My wife dailies the wagon and I daily the ZHP.

I'd like a light, tossable, fun car for the curves. I don't care about power and straight line speed, really. Whether I get the Boxster or 911 now, later in life I'd plan to get the other. I don't care too much about image or the NARP thing. I could see the back seats being useful for my two young kids and I'd probably get the 911 if I wasn't planning on keeping and trying to stretch out the useful life of my E46. The car I really wanted, truth be told, was the Miata. I'd probably get the Boxster without asking any questions if it weren't for the reputation that the 911 has as being God's gift to car enthusiasts. The Boxster seemed fun and the 911 a little sanitized during my test drives. (I drive about 6/10 on normal commutes, generally don't mash on the throttle, and prefer to take curves and ramps quickly.) Hence my moment of doubt and question for those who've had substantial seat time in both.

With the above said, does that impact anyone's advice for me?
Agree with tstafford. Boxster.

I own both a 2002 2.7l Boxster (with 308K+ miles) and a 2003 996 Turbo (with 152K+ miles so seat time I think I have plenty of).

Have to be honest and say if I had to get rid of one car I'd be hard pressed to chose which one. They are both great cars but different. (Just spent over $2K on the Boxster with new tires and rear brakes.)

The Boxster is a well balanced machine, a Goldilocks kind of car, in that every thing is just right. Right HP. Right brakes. Right weight. Plenty of storage/cargo space. And that mid-engine placement is to die for. The 5-speed shifts like a hot knife through butter and the car is very maneuverable around town and plenty of fun in the twisties. Great on long road trips too. Didn't accumulate over 308K miles just making grocery runs.

Kind of a weird thing in a way but when I lived in the KC MO area there was this one off ramp (on north bound 291 at E. 39th Street) a kind of decreasing radius off ramp. More than once in the Boxster I'd take this with some car on my tail no doubt the driver thinking he could with his car match the Boxster's cornering speed. I'd take the corner and know it was going to tighten up but the Boxster could handle it with ease. I could even accelerate some as the corner tightened. Behind my car I'd hear the other car with its tires squealing as the driver learned the cornering difference between his car and the Boxster.

'course more than once in cold weather I'd take a on/off ramp at somewhat reduced speed, too, and in these cases even jacked up pickups could stay with my car. The Boxster high performance tires so great in warm weather needed to be treated with more than a bit of caution in colder weather.

On twisty roads the car was a blast. One particular one stands out: South of the MO/ARK state line in Arkansas on highway 7 just south of Harrison ARK I had a heck of a time until I started to get car sick. First time since I was in short pants I've been bothered with car sickness. But the cornering speed and the g-forces the Boxster obtained was like a rollercoaster ride.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:22 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d

Been there, done that. One of the primary reasons I sold my GT4 was not having a backseat. Don't know about you, but I love taking my wife and kid on drives with me. For me, the GT4 (or any strict two-seater) is an anti-social experience.
That is one reason I switched from Vettes to 911s. I find I drive my 911 far more than my previous Vettes because I can bring a kid or two with me. Fun dropping them off or picking them up at school!
Old 02-19-2017, 09:29 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
What is a "NARP?"
"Not a real Porsche"

Said especially by those who haven't had much seat time in a mid-engined Porsche
Old 02-19-2017, 09:46 PM
Incendiary
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any issues with DDing either in moderately snowy climes? The Boxster has more storage space than the 911 due to the trunk, or the back seats make up the difference?
Old 02-19-2017, 09:49 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
"Not a real Porsche"

Said especially by those who haven't had much seat time in a mid-engined Porsche
Yikes! I did not know that.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:52 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,203 Likes on 2,715 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Agree with tstafford. Boxster.

I own both a 2002 2.7l Boxster (with 308K+ miles) and a 2003 996 Turbo (with 152K+ miles so seat time I think I have plenty of).

Have to be honest and say if I had to get rid of one car I'd be hard pressed to chose which one. They are both great cars but different. (Just spent over $2K on the Boxster with new tires and rear brakes.)

The Boxster is a well balanced machine, a Goldilocks kind of car, in that every thing is just right. Right HP. Right brakes. Right weight. Plenty of storage/cargo space. And that mid-engine placement is to die for. The 5-speed shifts like a hot knife through butter and the car is very maneuverable around town and plenty of fun in the twisties. Great on long road trips too. Didn't accumulate over 308K miles just making grocery runs.

Kind of a weird thing in a way but when I lived in the KC MO area there was this one off ramp (on north bound 291 at E. 39th Street) a kind of decreasing radius off ramp. More than once in the Boxster I'd take this with some car on my tail no doubt the driver thinking he could with his car match the Boxster's cornering speed. I'd take the corner and know it was going to tighten up but the Boxster could handle it with ease. I could even accelerate some as the corner tightened. Behind my car I'd hear the other car with its tires squealing as the driver learned the cornering difference between his car and the Boxster.

'course more than once in cold weather I'd take a on/off ramp at somewhat reduced speed, too, and in these cases even jacked up pickups could stay with my car. The Boxster high performance tires so great in warm weather needed to be treated with more than a bit of caution in colder weather.

On twisty roads the car was a blast. One particular one stands out: South of the MO/ARK state line in Arkansas on highway 7 just south of Harrison ARK I had a heck of a time until I started to get car sick. First time since I was in short pants I've been bothered with car sickness. But the cornering speed and the g-forces the Boxster obtained was like a rollercoaster ride.
Wow!
Old 02-19-2017, 10:09 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

I had this same decision to make a few years ago. I opted for the 911 cab for several reasons: I wanted back seats (primarily for my golf clubs, not for people), I thought it looked better to my eye, I appreciated the car's heritage, and I felt safer in a bigger car. In hindsight, I made the right decision - for me - but it is a great problem to have, choosing between two excellent, albeit different cars. You can't go wrong either way!
Old 02-19-2017, 10:54 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 81 Posts

What is a "NARP?"
Not A Real Porsche

Or... "entry level"

None the less, I loved mine.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:09 PM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Damn, what is said about the boxster in this thread is true. Makes me wanna get a boxster now, but the 981b 6 cyl variant. That car is so much fun but, with the top down only.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:16 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Norsk
Not A Real Porsche

Or... "entry level"

None the less, I loved mine.
Silly talk from those folks. I had a Boxster S as a loaner (the last of the flat sixes) over a weekend and it was a lot of fun to drive. Still prefer my 911S and I'm not a convertible guy, but if I was, it would have been a very fun option!
Old 02-20-2017, 12:17 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

Any issues with DDing either in moderately snowy climes? The Boxster has more storage space than the 911 due to the trunk, or the back seats make up the difference?
I needed rear seats for young kids and AWD for added traction in our snowy climate. While my friend drives his RWD Cayman all winter, I prefer the extra performance AWD offers, so,for me it's a 911.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:25 AM
carsnob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No substitute
Old 02-20-2017, 01:19 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

That is one reason I switched from Vettes to 911s. I find I drive my 911 far more than my previous Vettes because I can bring a kid or two with me. Fun dropping them off or picking them up at school!
This.

My kids are 6 and 10 and they love the back of the 991. Not many pure sports cars that can accomplish that.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:28 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The answer you are looking for is 981 Spyder - game set and match

Quick Reply: Carrera cab vs Boxster