991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Year-round tires for my 991?

Old 02-18-2017, 06:21 PM
mtrout
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Were you a Hoosier, too! (I'm born and bred.)
Old 02-18-2017, 07:13 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 771 Posts

I was born and raised in Texas, but I lived in Fort Wayne, IN with my family for almost 12 years before we moved to Colorado. It was fun owning a Porsche in Fort Wayne because they were a bit of a rarity. I hardly ever saw another. In the Denver metro area, they are quite common.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:40 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 308 Likes on 183 Posts

Eenie meenie mini mo....

PS I got the Macan to protect the DC area from snow this year. It worked!
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2017, 08:46 PM
mtrout
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Loved Ft. Wayne, tho' we got our butt handed to us in the state finals (Butler Fieldhouse in Indy) by South Side the year 7'1" Mike McCoy played for South Side. I lived in French Lick, then (long before Mr. Bird), but became more positively associated with FW when I lived just west of Ft. Wayne on 14, toward Columbia City.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:57 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I know that area. I drove through Columbia City to Warsaw to work every day.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:08 AM
drdiaboloco
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Keep an eye on the classifieds.
This is what I would do, and did.... a used set of winters is the way to go, not running A/S all year long.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:12 AM
drdiaboloco
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dennis C
It was fun owning a Porsche in Fort Wayne because they were a bit of a rarity. I hardly ever saw another.
Don't worry, I'm the guy who's picked up where you left off. I see more Teslas around here than 911's.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:14 AM
drdiaboloco
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mtrout
.....when I lived just west of Ft. Wayne on 14, toward Columbia City.
And I can see the intersection of 14 and County Line Rd. from my bedroom window. Maybe I can even see your old home if I send the quadcopter out that way.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:07 PM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiologisTT
Nin Din Din: nice! Is it an Agate C4? I like how the polished trim brings out the 991 lines in this light.
Hey TT, thx. The polished trim works well creating a bit of a contrast, imho. And yes it is a 991.2 Agate Grey C4S. It's my dd.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:14 AM
sanjeev
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: A/S tires in 991 sizes - Yokohama Advan Sport A/S available in 19" 235F 285R

I'd like to be able to drive my 2014 Carrera in cold, dry weather, maybe even occasionally in lousy weather. I started looking for non-UHP (or even all-season) tires, and discovered that there appear to be none. This just can't be. I can't be the only guy in America who wants to drive his 911 in cooler climes (below 40 degrees, which is verboten with UHP tires). Either 19" or 20" would work. I suppose I could go with extra wheels and snow tires, but find there is only one available: the Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II, and they are in very short supply. Am I misinformed? Is someone running High Performance or all-season tires on their car, year-round?
Hello,

If your winter driving conditions are relatively mild (eg. plowed roads), I think you may consider the Yokohama Advan Sport A/S in 19" 991C2 sizes (available from Tire Rack). I just put a set on my 991 C2S (19" wheels), and am quite happy with being able to use my car on dry or mild days, during the winter months. (I also have an AWD Audi A6 for the snow days.)

As an extra bonus, I have measured a 3-4 dBA road noise reduction at highway cruising speeds as compared to my stock 20" PZeros (now measures 68~69 dbA at 70 mph. My A6 measures ~66 dbA on the same stretch of highway) . Long drives are now much more pleasant with the tire roar now more muted.

I'm pretty happy with this tire for all-year daily driving use. Of course, your mileage may vary. (And, I am not claiming that this is recommended for heavy snow driving. Dedicated winter tires will always be req'd if you expect to drive in those conditions.)

Hope this helps.

- Sanjeev
Old 09-29-2017, 09:24 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

To the OP, I understand your concerns with the cooler temps. Its easy to forget about reduced traction on summer tires and there is the occasional brake test to avoid deer. I've run high performance winter tires (on a panamera) and was astounded by the cornering ability so in cold temps handling is fun plus the added engine power from cold temps adds another plus. In my opinion your making a conservative decision that is a trade off between summer and winter performance based on your experiences with tires which is probably extensive. I get it.
If this was a European delivery Porsche would provide winter tires for use in Europe during the cooler temps, Seems Porsche would be the best source for options. Good luck and congrats on the GT3!
Old 10-01-2017, 09:17 PM
DrMikeTTx
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has to be Michelin. I just threw away a set of P zeros with less than 6,000 miles on them because they could not be balanced after the 3rd attempt at Porsche dealership in Houston.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:24 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drdiaboloco
And I can see the intersection of 14 and County Line Rd. from my bedroom window. Maybe I can even see your old home if I send the quadcopter out that way.
We weren’t far from that intersection. We lived in Sycamore Hills.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:49 PM
cains10
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow. The link to the Michelin website seems to make it abundantly clear that these sizes ARE acceptable and available. As seems to often be the case, Tire Rack is far from the final word on tires. Thank you!
I've found it is better to search Tire Rack by size and performance category and not by make and model. You get different answers. There must some algorithm that filters based on the car you put in the search page.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:34 AM
sanjeev
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default All season tire option for 991 C2/C2S

Hello
i am posting this in response to the OP request for tire info (and NOT to enter the debate on the merits of AS vs dedicated winter tires, please).

Yokohama has the correct 19" F and R sizes for C2/C2S in their AdvanSport A/S UHP. I've been running these on my C2S and they are quite good for my year round everyday driving (Boston area), even with some sporty drives thrown in. A side benefit is that the highway tire noise has been reduced in cabin by approx 2 dBA.

Hope this helps.

Good luck
Sanjeev

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Year-round tires for my 991?