Got traction??? or Why published 0-60 times are completely meaningless

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 06:07 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
It does strike me as lame. In fact, the launch control feature is useless to me. I'll never use it. I think the 0 - 60 tests are a measure at comparing cars and their ability to move off the line quickly. I think you can tell there will be a considerable between a car that has a 0 - 60 time of 6 seconds vs one that has a 0 - 60 time of 8 seconds. Perfect test? No, but roll out or no roll out the 6 second car is just much faster.
A 700 WHP modified ZO6 will have terrible 0-60 times due to traction limitations. It probably won't be able to beat a 991 C2S on a consistent basis. And probably not at all without a professional shoe driving.

But roll on the throttle at 15 MPH and modulate the wheel spin, and I guarantee that the Vette will feel and be much faster.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:14 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

That car would destroy a 911 at anything passed 10 mph. The exhaust note is pretty good as well. Nothing like the Vanquish though. Turbos muffled a lot of that sound track. You tube the Vanquish exaust. I think its the best sounding car on the road.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:18 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 684 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
A 700 WHP modified ZO6 will have terrible 0-60 times due to traction limitations. It probably won't be able to beat a 991 C2S on a consistent basis. And probably not at all without a professional shoe driving.

But roll on the throttle at 15 MPH and modulate the wheel spin, and I guarantee that the Vette will feel and be much faster.
What can I say, in my driving life, getting quick acceleration from a near stop to 40 mph is the most important to me. I just live in a world where I can use 700 hp on the streets I drive on. I'm happy for those guys in the corvettes, but I'd hate to have to live in that cockpit.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:08 AM
Wharf Rat
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

This thread intrigues me and I think I have useful perspective. I don't know where to begin or where to end but here goes. The last 2 cars I've owned were 550 and 620 rwhp GT500's (both with drag radials). First and second gear were essentially useless in either car on the street. Within the first week of owning my 2014 GT500 twice on the stock tires at over 70 mph I knocked the *** end loose enough that I had to steer my way out of very bad news. Neither car was fun until it reached felonious speed limits. I've owned 3 other Mustangs that dynoed low-mid 400's which I consider the sweet spot in those cars.

But that's not why you called… 0-60 times are kinda useless in my book. These new cars with 5-6-700 HP are fun to bench race with but on the street are completely useless unless you get your kicks out of 1/2 mile+ roll racing or doing burnouts when leaving Cars and Coffee.

My C4S w/PDK is by far the most fun car I've ever owned. The giant hp numbers and banging your own gears crowd will never understand. It's OK. I went from 700 hp to 400 hp and have never been happier.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:03 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I remember when the C6 Z06 came out that several guys bought them as street toys only to sell them fairly quickly and replace them with Miatas and the like. The comments were essentially that you couldn't even run first gear to redline on the street without breaking the law, so how can you have any fun in the car.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:54 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
I remember when the C6 Z06 came out that several guys bought them as street toys only to sell them fairly quickly and replace them with Miatas and the like. The comments were essentially that you couldn't even run first gear to redline on the street without breaking the law, so how can you have any fun in the car.
THIS is exactly why I was happy to get out of my jag and enter the low torque 6 C2S! The Jag was worse because it was so quiet and calm that you would be going triple digits in too much comfort to notice and get there QUICK in ANY gear.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:46 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wharf Rat
This thread intrigues me and I think I have useful perspective. I don't know where to begin or where to end but here goes. The last 2 cars I've owned were 550 and 620 rwhp GT500's (both with drag radials). First and second gear were essentially useless in either car on the street. Within the first week of owning my 2014 GT500 twice on the stock tires at over 70 mph I knocked the *** end loose enough that I had to steer my way out of very bad news. Neither car was fun until it reached felonious speed limits. I've owned 3 other Mustangs that dynoed low-mid 400's which I consider the sweet spot in those cars.

But that's not why you called… 0-60 times are kinda useless in my book. These new cars with 5-6-700 HP are fun to bench race with but on the street are completely useless unless you get your kicks out of 1/2 mile+ roll racing or doing burnouts when leaving Cars and Coffee.

My C4S w/PDK is by far the most fun car I've ever owned. The giant hp numbers and banging your own gears crowd will never understand. It's OK. I went from 700 hp to 400 hp and have never been happier.
Great perspective, thanks for your input!
Old 02-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ace37
I kind of feel that way about my .1 S with 7 MT. I mean, I have this glorious 7600 (7,800?) RPM redline and I am at almost 80 at the top of second. It's great in the twisties as you can stay in second forever, but kinda defeats the purpose of an MT.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:54 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Nice article and video here.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...-2-28-seconds/

On another note, anyone else notice that half of Road and Tracks content is links to other people's YouTube channels?
Old 02-20-2017, 06:21 PM
dloines
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would make that 40mph, I had a regular vette and it would break the traction at 30 mph, Z06 is a nice track car, every time I went to the dealership there was another person trading in their Z06 usually for the regular vette convertible. Z06 is to unrefined for day to day use. Personally I would prefer a 911 turbo/turbo s of that a Z06....
Old 02-20-2017, 06:45 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

I kind of feel that way about my .1 S with 7 MT. I mean, I have this glorious 7600 (7,800?) RPM redline and I am at almost 80 at the top of second. It's great in the twisties as you can stay in second forever, but kinda defeats the purpose of an MT.
911's are no longer sports cars. They graduated into the super car segment . No longer fun at sane speeds. Unless your willing to risk drivers license and imprisonment for a rush. Only reason to own one today is status and bragging rights plus the occasional flattery. With our overly progressive laws to sterile the fun it becomes redundant in this country.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:00 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
911's are no longer sports cars. They graduated into the super car segment . No longer fun at sane speeds. Unless your willing to risk drivers license and imprisonment for a rush. Only reason to own one today is status and bragging rights plus the occasional flattery. With our overly progressive laws to sterile the fun it becomes redundant in this country.
Yes. I was lamenting at a gathering this weekend how my 911 will be a keeper but also the newest toy car I'll ever own. Any additions will likely not exceed 200bhp and will weigh half that of most new cars.

There is much merit to a 991.1 base, 7MT no option car.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:35 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Not really buying this, except for the part that it's too much for most roads.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:02 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Yes. I was lamenting at a gathering this weekend how my 911 will be a keeper but also the newest toy car I'll ever own. Any additions will likely not exceed 200bhp and will weigh half that of most new cars.

There is much merit to a 991.1 base, 7MT no option car.
Only thing missing on a base car is spasm and a lsd. Otherwise it would be just fine for me as well. Perfect car would be 2200 lbs with 225 hp. I dont care much for how they bundled the alfa 4c though. If the boxter can shed 400 lbs it would be ideal. There still exists that configuration issue similar to the 911.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:05 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Not really buying this, except for the part that it's too much for most roads.
If your a driver there is no reason to own this car in the States. Most birds need to fly and not be caged. Unless you enjoy looking at them.

Quick Reply: Got traction??? or Why published 0-60 times are completely meaningless