Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Allocation question .... ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 11:56 PM
parabola19
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Targa GTS allocations are fairly rare. A large Penske dealership near me only got one and the flagship dealer in South Miami only got 2. they hold value fairly well too. Heavier than a cab but stiffer chassis tho.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:58 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,739 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Originally Posted by parabola19
Targa GTS allocations are fairly rare. A large Penske dealership near me only got one and the flagship dealer in South Miami only got 2. they hold value fairly well too. Heavier than a cab but stiffer chassis tho.
But also higher center of gravity.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

you should get the dealer to give you a printout of the order (which will include the allocation #) this will confirm what he has entered into the Porsche internal ordering system, and that the allocation is assigned to you.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:57 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
Black wheels?
I believe the T4 GTS comes with satin black turbo 20s. I had my 5 spoke sport wheels on my Turbo PC'd satin black. Very sweet look. Plus, the T4 GTS has lots of other black bits ... satin black wheels seems to fit the car IMO. Goes well with the Lava Orange.

BTW ... anyone know how many T4 GTS cars Porsche will build? I realize it's a rare build, but any numbers to go along with this? My dealer only has 1 allocation. I shot him an email late today to see what the window of the allocation fills.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:19 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

I just got a response from my LPD regarding my questions about the allocation of the T4 GTS.

Here's what he wrote:

I am working my connections to secure your build, as we are only getting access to 1 of these for the entire year. I will have it secured by month end and then certainly can give you an accurate time frame of production and delivery.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:39 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 681 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
I just got a response from my LPD regarding my questions about the allocation of the T4 GTS.

Here's what he wrote:

I am working my connections to secure your build, as we are only getting access to 1 of these for the entire year. I will have it secured by month end and then certainly can give you an accurate time frame of production and delivery.
Are they offering a discount?
Old 02-13-2017, 09:01 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
Why should they? They are TRYING to get one single car. For him. I think they are doing plenty.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:11 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

I have not negotiated anything at this point in the transaction. Just gave the LPD a deposit on the car.

I have built several cars from this dealer over the past decade. I will ask for some "compensation" based on my Turbo that I got from them. I'm a good customer.

However, knowing that this is a car with small production runs, and I'm sure ... that there are those that will want to get one. Supply vs demand ... means, I'm probably not going to get much. That's fine. And, I understand.

We shall see, eh.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:48 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Strange response. They may not actually have an open allocation currently available to them. Sounds to me that they're hunting around at other dealers to "trade" allocations for an allocation for your model car. If they had an allocation in hand they would be more specific about a production date. An allocation from Porsche is for a specific model for production within a given time frame. If the dealer had an allocation, he could lock it in immediately.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:54 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DBH
Strange response. They may not actually have an open allocation currently available to them. Sounds to me that they're hunting around at other dealers to "trade" allocations for an allocation for your model car. If they had an allocation in hand they would be more specific about a production date. An allocation from Porsche is for a specific model for production within a given time frame. If the dealer had an allocation, he could lock it in immediately.
I tho't the response was a bit unusual as well. But, I'm not sure what can be done. Either my LPD has an allocation, or they want to trade one of their allocations for this one.

We'll see.

I suspect that if the allocation comes to view, the car won't be in my possession until June, or so. It's not as if I don't have a super car to drive until then.

I think I can be patient. I'll speak with the LPD in a couple weeks to see what the deal is.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:56 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's what he wrote:

Did you get anything in writing with your deposit? Like the car it's intended to purchase. And, if it's a rare thing, maybe an MSRP pricing guarantee?
You want that cuz it's a verifiable promise. And, if, for whatever reason they back out, you could use it to petition Porsche. Just in case, you know.
At what level are you dealing with? Salesperson, sales manager,etc.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:36 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fuddman
Did you get anything in writing with your deposit? Like the car it's intended to purchase. And, if it's a rare thing, maybe an MSRP pricing guarantee?
You want that cuz it's a verifiable promise. And, if, for whatever reason they back out, you could use it to petition Porsche. Just in case, you know.
At what level are you dealing with? Salesperson, sales manager,etc.
I'm dealing with the general sales manager. I've frequented this dealership before .. and him, too. And, this is not my first rodeo. That said, I understand how things work. The dealership is not my friend. We are adversaries ... i get that.

However, I'm not that suspicious. I've been down this path many times. I understand that I (we ...?) rarely get a "good deal".

There's still time to see what happens. I'm not all that concerned.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:47 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm sure you'll be happy enough with what you get. These are neither great value cars nor great deal cars, but they sure are great cars. A MT Targa GTS will be a fun one to own for a few years!
Old 02-17-2017, 07:05 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 681 Likes on 475 Posts

I have not negotiated anything at this point in the transaction. Just gave the LPD a deposit on the car.

I have built several cars from this dealer over the past decade. I will ask for some "compensation" based on my Turbo that I got from them. I'm a good customer.

However, knowing that this is a car with small production runs, and I'm sure ... that there are those that will want to get one. Supply vs demand ... means, I'm probably not going to get much. That's fine. And, I understand.

We shall see, eh.
Totally understand your point. General 911 allocations are tight in Canada with dealers stuck at a 2% max discount, although one person posting here said he did considerably better in the Toronto area. With all the talk of 6 - 8% discounts in the USA on 911s, I was just wondering whether you were able to negotiate any kind of discount. Totally understandable if you can't.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:30 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Totally understand your point. General 911 allocations are tight in Canada with dealers stuck at a 2% max discount, although one person posting here said he did considerably better in the Toronto area. With all the talk of 6 - 8% discounts in the USA on 911s, I was just wondering whether you were able to negotiate any kind of discount. Totally understandable if you can't.
I spoke with the sales manager that I've been dealing with for some years about the allocation. He said that he would have secured the dates by months end. I'll be patient.

Regarding discounts. This is always something that seems fluid depending on the dealership / sales points at the time of the purchase/lease. Meaning ... I receive a $7500 discount, clear bra / clear sm's, hardwire V1 at NC from one dealer for my '07 C4S that we built, and another offered me floor mats.

Not really sure, but when I got my '09 Turbo cab, I think I got ~$6K off with clear bra / clear sm' / V1 yada, yada at NC. And, when trading that in, I had some $9000 in 'equity' toward my present '15 Turbo coupe.

I never think I'm really getting a "deal". I think there's quite a profit in these higher end vehicles. In '07, the GM of the Ohio dealership said there was $15,000 in profit. He gave me $7500 and he took $7500. I don't know if I believe that or not. Present deals on Chevy Siverados are giving up to $15,000 (20%) off sticker. I'd think 911s have more profit than a Siverado. But, I have no idea.

Regarding the T4 GTS ... Yes, I'll ask for some discount and freebies, see if there is any equity in my present car, but realistically, I'm not holding my breath.

Quick Reply: Allocation question .... ?