Sponsored by:

Question for 18-way seat owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 08:45 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by NF4710
Seems to me you could have the seatback plastic wrapped in vinyl for a few hundred bucks and it would be easier to replace if damaged by your children and completely reversible. Just a thought.
Exactly. The plastic backs are smooth and easy to cover. Wouldn't even cost a few hundred. I have the 18-ways and the B-pillars and center tunnel of the car are so thick that you barely can see the seatbacks unless you're folding them forward.

Also, I don't quite understand the logic of covering the seatbacks with leather if you're afraid of them being scuffed up by kids. Leather scuffs just as easily as plastic -- but unlike plastic it can't be repaired.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:07 PM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're getting a GTS with the GTS interior package then the leather seat backs will come with deviated stitching to match. I have this and it looks terrific.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:29 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

If you have money to burn I say go for it. May rate in top most frivolous options along with Burmester, etc. 100% subjective of course but I just can't see giving Porsche that much dough for something of almost zero added value. Maybe if you're going for super elegant look I could see having to go with leather backs (but then I would try to go with 14-ways and save the money).

I think it's a plus to have the plastic back shells. I may be the exception but feel like it's not cheap looking at all and am worry-free with the kiddos in the back. Mine has no scratches and doesn't feel like it could scratch easily.

My interior is all black and the aluminum look seat backs brightens up the cabin a bit.

Just another irritating $$$ Porsche option, but since we all place different values on different options there's no wrong answer.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:30 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Well I did order illuminated carbon fiber sills so I've broken the seal on zero value options. Between that and the carbon trim and leather backs I am looking at >$5000. Pretty dumb.

The wife likes the carbon and the sills though so those are set. And with a black exterior and black leather and carbon fiber I'm thinking the silver plastic will be a little random.

But yeah it's dumb. But it does look nice. And I'm weird about hard plastics in a $170,000 car. That does bug me.

I heard the plastic can scratch more easily than leather. Who knows if that's true. Read it on here so it must be true.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:45 PM
silvertige
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 118 Posts

I've got 18 ways and kids. Haven't really noticed significant scratches and I actually prefer the look of the silver backs v. Leather although I do have a black leather interior. If I'd ordered red leather it may not have looked as good imo. But, no, the kids haven't destroyed the silver plastic at all; 2 years of ownership.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:48 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

^^ Do you have the silver trim or carbon?

If I had silver trim, then I'd be cool with the silver backed seats, I think.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:28 AM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 654 Likes on 378 Posts

I have black leather interior with carbon trim and carbon illuminated sills. As I said before, I have the leather seat backs and and very happy I ordered it that way. Another point to add though, my youngest child is 23 so there is that.....

The bottom line is it's your car to make your own. Don't feel the need to justify the costs of any options you choose, after all, you're the one paying for it.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:42 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JustBud
I have black leather interior with carbon trim and carbon illuminated sills. As I said before, I have the leather seat backs and and very happy I ordered it that way. Another point to add though, my youngest child is 23 so there is that.....

The bottom line is it's your car to make your own. Don't feel the need to justify the costs of any options you choose, after all, you're the one paying for it.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:38 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Well I did order illuminated carbon fiber sills so I've broken the seal on zero value options. Between that and the carbon trim and leather backs I am looking at >$5000. Pretty dumb.

The wife likes the carbon and the sills though so those are set. And with a black exterior and black leather and carbon fiber I'm thinking the silver plastic will be a little random.

But yeah it's dumb. But it does look nice. And I'm weird about hard plastics in a $170,000 car. That does bug me.

I heard the plastic can scratch more easily than leather. Who knows if that's true. Read it on here so it must be true.
Originally Posted by JustBud

I have black leather interior with leather seat backs, carbon fiber trim, and the illuminated carbon fiber door sills. I have to admit, I do like the sills - I get lots of compliments on them from other Porsche owners, too.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:27 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the plastic backs on my seats - they mark/scratch easily - look cheap to boot

Have gone for leather on my S
Old 02-12-2017, 03:24 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Love the silver seat backs. Much prefer them to the leather ones. Look racier IMO. But it's like the color of one's car, all personal preference.

Mine haven't scratched at all, but I don't have any rugrats anymore.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:16 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the 4-ways in my cab and went for the leather backs. Everything else in the car is black so it seemed only right and proper.

And I enjoy the illuminated door sills every time I get into the thing at night...
Old 02-12-2017, 04:34 AM
parabola19
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

love my illuminated carbon fiber sills. had the on my 991 TTS and now my 991.2 TTS. Just looks so good. Also leather seat backs are standard on TTS but I spec's them on my incoming Targa GTS. Just like the flow so much better.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:18 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Love the silver seat backs. Much prefer them to the leather ones. Look racier IMO. But it's like the color of one's car, all personal preference.

Mine haven't scratched at all, but I don't have any rugrats anymore.
I can see how it looks racier, for sure. Silver trim, silver back, black interior and silver/grey seat belts was another look we were debating.

Originally Posted by MagicRat
I have the 4-ways in my cab and went for the leather backs. Everything else in the car is black so it seemed only right and proper.

And I enjoy the illuminated door sills every time I get into the thing at night...
Originally Posted by parabola19
love my illuminated carbon fiber sills. had the on my 991 TTS and now my 991.2 TTS. Just looks so good. Also leather seat backs are standard on TTS but I spec's them on my incoming Targa GTS. Just like the flow so much better.
Originally Posted by Hurricane

I have black leather interior with leather seat backs, carbon fiber trim, and the illuminated carbon fiber door sills. I have to admit, I do like the sills - I get lots of compliments on them from other Porsche owners, too.
I'm 100% on the sills. I think it looks sharp. I used to think it was silly, but I ultimately regretted not getting it on my GT4. It's a small thing, but sills make opening the door more of an event. And people do love those things.

One thing I like about the leather seat back is the stitching on the seams - it gives the back a sharper, more tailored appearance. If I was getting deviated stitching, this would be a no brainer.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:25 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

I think it depends on the color of your car honestly. I'm leaving my spec with no leather backs for my GTS build as Im going GT silver and having the silver is a nice interior compliment to the exterior. If I had a darker car however with black wheels where that would really contrast, I'd go leather. So its more of a wholistic look thing for me than out of that specific part being covered in leather so to speak.

Quick Reply: Question for 18-way seat owners