Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Default PPI / DME report How Important

Going to look at a 2015 C2S 2/15 build and Probably make an offer

10k miles
CPO
$122 MSRP
Leased but CPOed

Asking $93k

Will a DME report show how abused it was?
Number of RPM limits
PDK so no over-revs
Any official printout useful

Dealership acting stupid

Thank for any help
Old 02-10-2017, 01:10 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DME is most useful with a manual car to look for overrevs. I would not worry if it's a PDK.

Since it's CPO you're still covered and I would not personally REQUIRE one to move forward.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:16 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

On a PDK car (options depending) you can get a Launch Control count. That would be interesting to see, IMO. The CPO is good for you, and combined with the PDK is pretty great.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:54 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
On a PDK car (options depending) you can get a Launch Control count. That would be interesting to see, IMO. The CPO is good for you, and combined with the PDK is pretty great.
Lex,

Why would anyone care about launch control? I have seen tests with 50 in a row and no issues. I guess I think out of the box, but these cars are meant to be driven. I lease my car as it has provided me with additional "insurance" in case of an on track incident. My car would be classified as "abused" by 90% of R-listers. I intend to buy it in 10 months if I don't wreck it first. I change the oil every 4 weeks. It is bullet proof.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:59 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Lex,

Why would anyone care about launch control?:
The OP is asking for ways to determine any abuse. I feel I've offered good advice and direction. He could use the LC data to decide if that constitutes abuse by his own standards and level of comfort.

Last edited by LexVan; 02-10-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:22 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

The OP is asking for ways to determine any abuse. I feel I've offered good advice and direction. He could use the LC data to decide if that constitutes abuse my his own standards and level of comfort.
With all due respect, why would that constitute even thinking about abuse. If it was abusive, PCNA would not warranty its use - I am confused as to your thinking. This is a possible new P Car owner. You raised the concern, irrespective of its validity - I am only trying to understand your thinking of it even being a concern.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:34 PM
LexVan
Banned

With all due respect, why would that constitute even thinking about abuse. If it was abusive, PCNA would not warranty its use - I am confused as to your thinking. This is a possible new P Car owner. You raised the concern, irrespective of its validity - I am only trying to understand your thinking of it even being a concern.
Not sure why you keep pressing this. It's not up to me, nor up to you, to decide what the OP's comfort level and threshold is for "abuse".

He asked for a way to measure abuse on a PDK car (whereas an over-rev report is far less valuable and usually irrelevant for over revs) and I offered one; count the LC events.

Maybe he considers 1 to be a lot. Maybe it's 100 by his standard. Or could be 1,000. I'm not trying to decide that for him.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:41 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Lex ,
I say again with all due respect, the OP has 18 posts. You have 13,200+. Your contribution to the community is without question, however it does not come without responsibility. You raised an issue to a new member, who appears to not have a lot of P-Car experience (based on his OP),.I simply asked why you thought LC's were a concern. Its not about whether he believes 1 LC is too many or not, its about why someone with 13,200 posts thinks its an issue. You never answered why you think this is important, I respect you position and your contribution, however it is not to be taken blindly. I still want to know why you think this should be a concern to a prospepctive purchaser.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:17 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm with Lex on this one, he's right to raise it as a possible concern. While I agree that these cars are meant to be driven, etc ... I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with a car that's been launched 100s of times.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:40 AM
GT3_Driver
Rennlist Member

The OP is asking for ways to determine any abuse. I feel I've offered good advice and direction. He could use the LC data to decide if that constitutes abuse by his own standards and level of comfort.

Thanks for all the replies .......I didn't mean to poke the bee hive.

A little back ground.....coming from a track prepped BMW 40+ track days

I know, I my mind, what an abused car is.

I should have asked is there "Good/Valuable" information in the DME report.
Dealership is acting dumb, Why do you want/need this

I'm an engineer, so before I spend a 100grand, i try to know what I'm getting. Is there an printable offical Report to ask for.

1 launch, no big deal
25, Hmm
100, Probably walk away

I would like to know the Rev count @ redline

It's part of my calculus.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:28 AM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

$93k? They aint acting that stupid.

Hope you are reading the HFS thread. That's an expensive car.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:58 AM
GT3_Driver
Rennlist Member

Yes I am....for awhile now... I agree on price

It checks most of the boxes

PASM Sport Suspension.....a must for me, Like to have a GTS(Big ***) but big Premium, Not many C2Ss have PASM Sport

Sport Exhaust System... a must

Sport Chrono Package....I understand it's not worth the money

Planning a EU purchase in a couple of years, but concerned about turbo sound
Old 02-13-2017, 09:42 AM
LexVan
Banned

Lex ,
I say again with all due respect, the OP has 18 posts. You have 13,200+. Your contribution to the community is without question, however it does not come without responsibility. You raised an issue to a new member, who appears to not have a lot of P-Car experience (based on his OP),.I simply asked why you thought LC's were a concern.
Thank you. I better understand what you are saying now.

I don't think I ever said anywhere in my discussion that I had "concerns" about a specific use frequency of LC. I'll share my opinion below.

Originally Posted by 944T-SB
Thanks for all the replies .......I didn't mean to poke the bee hive.
Not at all. You asked a good question. LC counts and DME over-revs are just a PART of the buying process due diligence. There's no ONE RIGHT answer. It's lots of little answers and pings that you have to put together.

If I were buying a PDK car, especially one under CPO, I'd have very little concern about the over-revs (since over revs are very-very rare on the PDK technology) but I'd want to see the LC data/counter.

Let's say the car has a couple thousand miles, and <12 months old, but has over 300 LCs. That's almost one a day, probably more since most Porsches are not daily driven. To me, that seems excessive. Why launch the car every day, or twice a day? Is this "abuse"? To some, "yes", to others, "no".

Let's say the car has 30,000 miles and is >3 years old, but has about 400 LCs. To me, that would be no big deal.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:16 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Lex,

That makes sense to me. Simply wanted to learn.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:39 PM
leopard print
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off topic: but holy moly, great job resolving that "issue", Lex and carreradriver! I've been on multiple other forums where a disagreement like that would have gone straight to name calling and bashing. Just one more reason why I love the Porsche community.

Good luck finding the right car, 944T-SB.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PPI / DME report How Important