Sponsored by:

Girodisc upgrade on 991 GTS with Centerlocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 10:06 PM
Jbgill6535
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
Thanks for posting Jason! Very helpful. I have a few follow up questions in red below as I'm going through the buying process.

Thanks again for the help, Jason. Nice GTS BTW
Sorry. Just reread again. Was missing the extra "1". Part number is 10414170
Old 02-26-2017, 01:11 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Jason - Thank you for the contribution! A true rennlister!
Old 02-26-2017, 01:21 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Is there any information on the specific heat capacity of the girodisc brake rotors?
Old 02-26-2017, 01:42 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
Is there any information on the specific heat capacity of the girodisc brake rotors?
I would head over to the racing forum for that info.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:45 AM
Jbgill6535
Instructor

Jason - Thank you for the contribution! A true rennlister!
Thanks! Anytime. Glad I could help. Only wish I had captured pics with explanations throughout the install, but it was a learning experience for me as well. I have really enjoyed getting to know this car and have found RL to be an invaluable tool.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:46 AM
Jbgill6535
Instructor

I would head over to the racing forum for that info.
+1. Or contact Girodisc. They are a smart bunch of folks.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:47 PM
Brian E
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you sir!
If you took a few pictures the next time you have your 991 on it, I would really appreciate seeing how you place the unit under the car prior to lifting and after its up in the air.

Originally Posted by Jbgill6535
Brian,

They are a great tool if you don't require extreme heights. Didn't have very good luck initially. I bought the 5000 in June and had numerous problems which required the return of 2 motor units. The third one has worked without issue. I found quickjack's customer service to be very responsive with the issues. In the end they qc'd a complete new unit at their facility and sent out a fully functioning setup. It is easy to store, setup and provides more than adequate clearance for most tasks that I am interested in tackling on my own. For the price and what it provides, there appears to be no other option.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:30 PM
jplohg
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have finally decided to chuck my stock rotors (many hole to hole cracks appearing). I'm going to go with girodisc and pagid rs29. Anyone on this list offering really attractive pricing/deals on either/both? For my 2012.5 991 c2s. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-07-2017, 04:43 PM
Jbgill6535
Instructor

Contact Clark at Apex Performance. He hooked me up with both.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:51 PM
jplohg
Instructor

Contact Clark at Apex Performance. He hooked me up with both.
thanks, jbgill6535. I talked to Clark and he is in fact very helpful. At his recommendation, I'm going to go with a very similar build as yours - girodisc rotors with pagid rs29 pads (gt3 size pads up front - thanks to your/clarks reccomemdation), the same stud kit, Spiegler as lines and Castrol SRF fluid. Combining this with a new set of R888R's, so my expectations for much improved braking performance are high. My OEM rotors were cracking too quickly and the brake pedal feel was getting quite squishy on track days. Hope this is a good solution and won't drive me crazy off the track. Invaluable advice from this forum.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:26 PM
Jbgill6535
Instructor

I had the same issues with cracking rotors after track usage on my GTS. My first brake fix was SRF, which I had found to be very useful on my prior E90 M3 track toy. I haven't been able to track the car after the brake upgrades, but initial impressions after bedding in and around town driving are that it is a substantial increase in braking ability. Not sure what your DD situation is, but the track pads were intolerable for any time period on the street, prompting the search for alternate pads as detailed before.

Glad this was of some use and let me know if you need anything else.

Jason
Old 03-08-2017, 02:54 PM
jplohg
Instructor

I had the same issues with cracking rotors after track usage on my GTS. My first brake fix was SRF, which I had found to be very useful on my prior E90 M3 track toy. I haven't been able to track the car after the brake upgrades, but initial impressions after bedding in and around town driving are that it is a substantial increase in braking ability. Not sure what your DD situation is, but the track pads were intolerable for any time period on the street, prompting the search for alternate pads as detailed before.

Glad this was of some use and let me know if you need anything else.

Jason
after talking with Carl again this morning I am now going to copy Jason's set up exactly, which means I am too going to go with the Ferodo front pads and Pagid rears (versus Pagid all the way around). Also, in case anyone else is doing this, for clarification, the stud bolt sleeves also come from Tarrett Engineering, not Girodisc. So, I am completely copying you Jason, except my car is a 991.1 C2S without centerlocks!
Old 03-08-2017, 08:05 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jplohg
after talking with Carl again this morning I am now going to copy Jason's set up exactly, which means I am too going to go with the Ferodo front pads and Pagid rears (versus Pagid all the way around). Also, in case anyone else is doing this, for clarification, the stud bolt sleeves also come from Tarrett Engineering, not Girodisc. So, I am completely copying you Jason, except my car is a 991.1 C2S without centerlocks!

Last week I ordered the Giro Disc for my 911_50th Anniversary Coupe.
The rotors arrived this morning and I just finished installing the rear rotors. I also orders GT3 front break pads which should arrive this Friday.

BTW: Since I have no plans to track my vehicle I decided to order the rotors slotted/drilled.
Attached Images    
Old 03-10-2017, 09:53 AM
Jbgill6535
Instructor

looks great. Love your floors. Any issue with the jack on them?
Old 03-10-2017, 01:51 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

looks great. Love your floors. Any issue with the jack on them?
The manufacturer (Swisstrax - product Ribtrax) claims it can withstand 3000 PSI. Just make sure you have the proper floor jack. I installed the floor 18 months ago with one minor issue a few days ago. The issue was caused by my previous floor jack with a narrow footprint (displacement of front rollers), dent on tile. As a preventative measure I upgraded my floor jack. I also purchased extra tiles just in case.
I also have a set of four Jackpoint Stands that are frequently used without a dent to the tiles.

The floor is extremely easy to install and with a choice of 19 colors, your design is limitless.

Thanks
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Girodisc upgrade on 991 GTS with Centerlocks