Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The most unbelievable dilemma. 991 vs.... Gelandewagen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 06:18 PM
HazemG
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The most unbelievable dilemma. 991 vs.... Gelandewagen?

Hello all!

First I'd like to say I knew I'd be back! I used to have a 997 C2 and I sold it last year as it really felt outdated and wasn't in the spec I wanted. I settled for a color I never was sold on from the beginning, and felt the .1 C2 to be lacking in power. I had to step away from P-Car ville for a bit, but I'm now seriously considering my return!

Dilemma- I love the G-Class. I love the size, truck feel, durability, and build quality. The things take a licking and keep going. I also like the value. These hold their value very well. I would be buying used (2009/10 G550) and even with the new chassis due to debut in the next year or two, I hold the notion that the value will be affected negligibly (if not appreciate due to outrage by purists)

I also love the FUN factor of the 911. My 997.1 was outdated and lacked the creature comforts I have decided I do infact need (some may make fun, but yes I do like to warm my buns while sipping on my espresso that I have stashed in the cupholder while I make a spirited run). I rented a 991 for a while while vacationing in Miami, and it felt like a completely different car than my 997. I still attribute the driving experience of the 991 to be a pretty large reason I sold my 997 (not the only or biggest, however).

So here I am today... Do I buy a base C2 991.1 in manual ($65K budget) or pick up a G-Class? It will be my daily. I appreciate the fact that most likely never has anyone had to choose between the two, lol!

I do want either one to hold its value relatively well, and I feel the 991's have come down so much I don't see a ton of room, especially in manual spec. Though it is a base, and those will be more available than an S car or GT car.

G-Class vs Pcar list (in my head, written down for you all to call me crazy or pat me on the back):

Size
Ability to transport more passengers if out on the town or to dinner
Driving position/ visibility
Stout build quality
Relatively cheap to maintain/service
Will not depreciate much more than it has

991.1 C2
FUN
Great looking
Fun!
Reliable (my 997 was pretty solid)
potential CPO warranty
Most likely will retain decent amount of value, but can realistically see myself lose about $25K within the next few years, and at that point most likely will start to appreciate.

Anyone been in my shoes? I doubt it but I know many of you probably have a significant other with a G-Class or one in the family. You never know!

Thanks guys.

P.S., here is a pretty nice looking 991 for your viewing pleasure. I know the wing is not necessary and will draw radical opinions, but it looks sweet!

Old 01-17-2017, 06:22 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Think with ur budget you'd be better off with the G
Old 01-17-2017, 06:27 PM
HazemG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Homeles
Thank you for the feedback, Homeles. Could you elaborate? I saw some decent 991.1 C2's out there. I'm not worried as much about reliability as my experiences with 911's have been rock solid. Is it due to depreciation? I see you have a lot of experience with the 911, so your opinion will be taken with heavy consideration.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:47 PM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the G550 is a good looking vehicle.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:11 PM
HazemG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Homeles
Originally Posted by Mlbraptor
I think the G550 is a good looking vehicle.
No doubt it's a fantastic looking truck. Very solid, capable, and well-built as well.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:08 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I think you have to decide what experience you want to have out of a daily driver. The Porsche can certainly transform that if you aren't stuck in traffic all of the time. My problem when I drive the 911 to work is that I usually end up taking the very long curvy way back home and racking up 5x more miles than I had to

But I do see one what I think is a flaw in your summary statements for both. You say this will be your daily driver - although I don't know the distances you accumulate with that. With the Porsche for sure, and likely the G-class, it will always continue to significantly depreciate as the mileage continues to significantly increase.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:13 PM
nal13
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 43 Posts

For nearly the last 20 years my father has had some variant of the 911 and g wagon. The two cars are both masterpieces but are different in almost every way. That's the way he has always justified having both. Just like the 911 the g wagon is rock solid. He recently traded a 2002 g500 with 100,000 miles for a 2016 g63. The 2002 never let him down and the resale value is unmatched for a SUV. I believe he got nearly 60% of the original buying price on the trade in.

As for the comparison of the two, i currently drive a 991 base like the one you are considering (daily 10 out of 12 months a year) and have had considerable driving time behind both the G500 and G63. The g class does make you feel special. For Gods sake its hand made and you sit above absolutely everyone. Both variants sound like muscle cars but they drive like mac trucks. Even the "refined" 63 has the steering feel off a 68 vw bus! But it defines all physics when you step on the accelerator!!!

The 991 will put a smile on your face everyday. I just ordered my second and can't imagine being without one. Not quite as practical but it's one hell of a car.

Both are incredible but for different reasons. You'll be happy with either you choose.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:20 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

"I do want either one to hold its value relatively well..."

Then look elsewhere. Both the 991 and G whatever depreciate steeply with the miles you'll put on as a daily driver. Since you're considering two such disparate vehicles, you clearly aren't in love with either enough to make it worth the depreciation and operating costs.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:05 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

I just posted in another thread, and have to repeat here: I can't understand the basic premise here. 991 or G-wagen? Sports car or SUV? I can understand owning both, but to jump from one to the other for an only vehicle?

To me, you either NEED a sports car or don't. You either love to drive something dedicated to road performance or not. You give up practical considerations or don't.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:34 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you own any other vehicles? An SUV is a people mover, material mover, tow vehicle, any number of things that a 991 is not.

My stable includes a 4 DR family sedan, a crew cab dually pickup, a Cayman and a GT3. Different horses for different courses. Neither of the p-cars are driven daily.

Ryan
Old 01-18-2017, 08:10 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

G Class- You won't miss many gas stations - like 10-12 mpg on a good day.

Easy to buy, tough to sell used. People with the $ want new.

Had one......

Consider a Toyota Land Cruiser instead or stick with the Porsche

Old 01-18-2017, 09:19 AM
the2thdr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interesting comparison

Have to agree with one of the other remembers who suggested that this will likely come down to more of a consideration of what you need the vehicle to do. In the absence of owning another car that can hold more people and help to transport shopping, etc, the 911 may not be the right vehicle.

When it comes to an SUV, for such purposes, the G is really nice. Is it great? I don't think so. The one thing it does have going for it is that it does hold its value. However, with the refresh coming, I think you may underestimate how much value you may lose. IMHO, when model changes/refreshes occur, you tend to notice a drop in retained value. YMMV on that point.

I had a 991.1 Carrera 4 GTS that I foolishly traded in on a different vehicle (Range Rover SVR). Biggest mistake I ever made. Having said that, about 6 months later I purchased a new G63 which I am currently driving. Do I like it? Yes, in it's own way. I love the look of it when I walk up to it. I like the exhaust rumble. Fuel economy is actually pretty decent for a vehicle that I drive hard, returning abut 260miles per tank. Fit and finish is excellent and the vehicle is solid. But, it sucks in handling. It drives like a truck (to be expected), but in a way that just grates on you over time. The seats are beyond reproach. Amazingly comfortable. The boot can hold A LOT, given the low load floor. HVAC in not the best, pretty crappy to be honest. Seat heaters are the worst in the business. In -20C weather here, I won't feel warm in the car for about 20min. No heated steering wheel (I have the AMG performance wheel).

So, why the post? I am returning mine to the dealer in a short while and making the move back to Porsche. Either a 991.2 C4 GTS, or if the dealer is able to provide an allotment to me...a 991.2 GT3.

I would really consider what you need out of the vehicle. I have the benefit of having a 2016 X5M which my wife drives and so I have access to that to do big trips to Costco or to transport a snow blower to one of our other properties. Personally, I think the X5M is one of the most complete SUV's I have ever driven. It hauls, handles exceedingly well, not a single problem thus far in over 1 year (20K miles in 1 year).

Retained values? Not sure I would peg a car purchase on that. It is nice, but on such older vehicles, I am not sure that it will return what you may project.

Best of luck with your decision.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:11 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

how long have you spent driving a G. I think they look cool as hell and appreciate the old world build.

That said, the bloody wind noise on the highway is ridiculous and they ride like dump trucks. Plus they are not terribly roomy in the back seat.

I like the concept of a Gwagen, but know that I could never buy a newer one. Something like an 80s diesel model as an offroad fun car...absolutely.

911 is my vote.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:13 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Mercede...m=262805174072

something like that for a fun car!
Old 01-18-2017, 11:50 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

The best way to do a G-Wagon: http://www.mastodon4x4.com
They have three levels of equipment/finish. Probably not a DD though, but cool.

Quick Reply: The most unbelievable dilemma. 991 vs.... Gelandewagen?